Water availability for Backpackers

  • simmonscarl98
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2002
      Here is a great website that allows you to check real-time water flow
      rates anywhere in the US. You can also check historical levels to
      determine whether a particular are is having a dryier than normal
      season. You can check all sources of water including springs, wells,
      streams for example.

      http://water.usgs.gov/

      For example, I am planning a AT hike the third week of March in
      central Virginia and they currently have record low flow rates. I'll
      check the sire just before heading out but this tells me I should
      probably carry extra water.

      Carl.