Golite Land and Earth

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 27, 2002
      Golite Land and Earth

      The next items (that would make it NOW) up for test are the Golite Earth and Land packs. We have 3 Earths and 2 Lands to test. When you post your applications please indicate which one you are interested in testing. All rules apply.

      Jerry

    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 27, 2002
        Thomas Vickers
        Age 34
        Height: 5' 11''
        Weight: 160 lbs

        Experience: I have hiked seriously since college. I have tried several
        different packs, including the Golite Breeze and my current pack is the Kelty
        Gale.

        Testing: Depending on the when the packs arrive, I will be testing the pack in
        Arkansas, along the Buffalo River, Southeast Texas, on the Lonestar Trail,
        Central Texas, Pedernales falls and Enchanted Rock, and the PCT, section I (i)
        for an 8 day minimum trip in July.

        I want to test the Golite Land because the last couple of years have convinced
        me to go light in my hiking outlook, but not at the cost of comfort. I have
        always felt that the Golite Breeze needed a hipbelt and the Land looks like a
        chance to test an improved Breeze. It is my hope that the Land solves the
        deficiences that I find in the Breeze.
        I would also like to find a comfortable pack that holds up to the heat and
        humidity of South East Texas.

        Reports I have done for BPGT:

        Integral Designs Primaliner
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Sleep%20Gear/%20Integral%20Designs%20Primaliner/Thomas%20Vickers/Report%202.htm

        Kelty Gale Pack
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Packs/Kelty%20Gale/Gale.htm

        MSR XGK Stove
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/MSR%20XGK%20II/MSR%20XGK%20Expedition%20Stove.htm

        I have read all the report requirements and agree to fulfill all of them if
        selected to test this product.

        Thomas Vickers

        What is our aim? Victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of
        all terror;
        Victory how ever long and hard the road may be.
        Sir Winston Churchill
      • David Anderson
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 27, 2002
          I guess I'll have to find a dealer tomorrow and see if they are long enough.
          Their site lists a dealer in north Seattle, I hope they have one in stock.

          Dave
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 27, 2002

            Worst case situation, you could call them with your torso length.

            Jerry

            I guess I'll have to find a dealer tomorrow and see if they are long enough.
            Their site lists a dealer in north Seattle, I hope they have one in stock.

            Dave

          • John Finston
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 27, 2002

               Jerry,  I would like to apply to test the Golite Earth Pack (if you have a large size).

              I am a 46 year old 6'3" 215 lb. male living in the San Francisco bay area. I started hiking again about 8 years ago. Most of my backpacking is in Northern California (Sierras and Ventana Wilderness are two of my favorite hikes) but I have also backpacked in Oregon (Mt Hood Wilderness), Virginia (AT trail), Zion, Mt Whitney, other Northern CA spots and Patagonia. I hike about 10 times a year, most of which are weekend trips, but try to get in at least one 5-10 day trip each year. Over the years I have been replacing much of my gear as I try to shed pack weight, while maintaining some creature comforts. I am still trying to find the optimal balance between
              lightweight gear and safety/comfort on the trail.

              I have been active participant on the List and have posted two owner
              reports at the following sites:

              I have recently purchased a GVP G4 pack and intend to use it for the first time on the weekend beginning March 8th.  I do not intend to become a super light weight backpacker, and am looking for he right balance between light weight and comfort. I have reduced my weekend trip pack weight (before food and water) to about 14 lbs.    I would be willing to provide as part of my reports a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of the Golite Earth and the GVP G4 packs.  I would likely use the packs primarily in northern California, but I am also planning a 1-2 week trip on the PCT in Oregon this August.

              I have read the "1 application and report requirements.htm" file,
              understand what is required, and will comply with the report
              requirements.

              John Finston
              jfinston@...

                Jerry Goller <geartester@...> wrote:

              The next items (that would make it NOW) up for test are the Golite Earth and Land packs. We have 3 Earths and 2 Lands to test. When you post your applications please indicate which one you are interested in testing. All rules apply.

              Jerry

              Do You Yahoo!?

            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 27, 2002

                You can check out sizes and colors for the Earth at http://www.golite.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/scstore/product_categories/products/earth.html?L+scstore+ycgn5377+1014886104 and the Land at http://www.golite.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/scstore/product_categories/products/land.html?L+scstore+ycgn5377+1014886104

                Jerry

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 27, 2002
                  I'm right at the edge of their sizing chart so I'd rather try it on to be
                  sure. My torso length is just a hair over 22", but my torso size makes it so
                  a lot of 22" packs don't fit too well. A 54" chest, 23" shoulder and 20"
                  neck seem to affect the fit of lots of gear that *should* fit according to
                  the charts.

                  It wouldn't be fair to Go-Lite if I were to review their pack when it
                  doesn't fit. It would be different if I was well within their claimed sizes
                  and had problems with the fit.

                  Dave

                  Jerry Goller writes:
                  > Worst case situation, you could call them with your torso length.
                  >
                  > Jerry
                • Ron Martino
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 27, 2002

                    Jerry Goller wrote (on BackpackingLight):

                    > FYI, I just posted a call for testers for the Golite Earth and Land
                    > packs on BGT. We have 3 Lands and 2 Earths to test.

                    Okay, so which is it? 3 Earths or 3 Lands? I'm so confused...

                    Ron
                    --

                    yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
                  • Thomas Vickers

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 27, 2002

                        You and me both, brother. Damned brain damage. I can’t hold a thought long enough to type it.

                        “Jerry - We shall provide you with 3 Lands and 2 Earths. They'll ship this

                        week.    –Carlos”

                        Jerry

                        > The next items (that would make it NOW) up for test are the Golite
                        > Earth and Land packs. We have 3 Earths and 2 Lands to test. When you
                        > post your applications please indicate which one you are interested in
                        > testing. All rules apply.

                        Jerry Goller wrote (on BackpackingLight):

                        > FYI, I just posted a call for testers for the Golite Earth and Land
                        > packs on BGT. We have 3 Lands and 2 Earths to test.

                              Okay, so which is it? 3 Earths or 3 Lands? I'm so confused...

                              Ron
                        --

                        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com

                      • woward
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 27, 2002
                          Jerry:

                          Put my name in the hat to test the Golite Earth pack. I'm hoping
                          this might be the lightweight pack with some suspension that us
                          senior backpackers can use to carry a load but keep it mostly off the
                          shoulders.

                          William O. Ward
                          Age: 57
                          Location: Northern California
                          Experience: 45+ yrs backpacking & camping

                          I have read the forum reviewer rules and agree to abide by them.

                          My review reports in this group include:

                          t%20Quick%20Fit%20Everyday/William%20Ward/Superfeet%20Reports%20%231%
                          20%26%20%232.htm

                          20Arcflex%20Terraplane%20/DanaArcFlexTerraplane_rev3.htm

                          20Shield/William%20Ward/RainshieldReview%201%262_rev1.htm

                          20Shield/William%20Ward/Rainshield%20Review%203_rev2.htm

                          20Slickrock%20Tent/Slickrock%20Review_rev1.htm

                          20Terrain%20Navigator%202001/William%20O.%20Ward/Review%20Report%201%
                          262%20Rev2.htm

                          20Terrain%20Navigator%202001/William%20O.%20Ward/Maptech%20Report%20%
                          233_Rev2.htm

                          %20Geographic%20Topo/William%20O.%20Ward/Review%20Report%201%
                          262_rev2.htm

                          %20Geographic%20Topo/William%20O.%20Ward/Review%20Report%203_rev2.htm

                          20Treatment/First%20Need%20Water%20Purifier/FirstNeedRev2.htm

                          Regards,

                          Bill
                          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jerry Goller" <geartester@a...> wrote:
                          > The next items (that would make it NOW) up for test are the Golite
                          Earth
                          > and Land packs. We have 3 Earths and 2 Lands to test. When you post
                          your
                          > applications please indicate which one you are interested in
                          testing.
                          > All rules apply.
                          > Jerry
                        • John Finston
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 27, 2002

                             Jerry,

                            I actually had checked out Golite's site for sizing information before sending in the application.  That is why I limited my application to a large pack.  If you do not have a large size GoLite Earth, I would like to be considered for testing the Golite Land (assuming you have a large size for that pack).  I have a very long torso for a person 6'3" in height, so if you do not have a large size for either pack, I would not be a good candidate for this test.

                            John Finston

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 28, 2002

                              Items for testing come from the manufacturer. All sizes are available.

                              Jerry

                              I actually had checked out Golite's site for sizing information before sending in the application.  That is why I limited my application to a large pack.  If you do not have a large size GoLite Earth, I would like to be considered for testing the Golite Land (assuming you have a large size for that pack).  I have a very long torso for a person 6'3" in height, so if you do not have a large size for either pack, I would not be a good candidate for this test.

                              John Finston

                            • Kraft, Toby
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 28, 2002
                                Message

                                 Golite Earth Test Application

                                 Info

                                Name: Toby Kraft

                                Age: 26

                                Gender: Male ;)

                                Size: 20.5 inch spine.  For Golite that puts me right between M and L sizes.  I prefer M but could easily test a large if that improved my chances!

                                Weight: 195 lbs. (I include this because musculature and all that affects fit greatly)

                                Color: Sea or Fire

                                Height: 5'10.5"

                                Stomping Grounds: San Francisco Bay Area, Tahoe/Sierra region

                                Hiking: Since a wee lad

                                Backpacking: 6 years

                                I would love to test the Earth in M or L sizes.  These look like a great pack for me to test.  I am rough on packs.  I have been using a Gregory Palisade because so many of the lightweight options couldn't handle my abuse.  I will be spending a great deal of time packing and alpine climbing this summer throughout the Sierras.  I would probably tend to have a packweight of about 25 lbs, but would often add a little bit of climbing gear so I would be able to explore the comfort limits of the pack.  I am also a rock climber, so the tool loop, daisy chain and haul loop could get some pretty good testing too (how far can you drag it over granite?).  Actually, my usage would look pretty much like the marketing picture they have on the site for the Earth.     It is also light enough that it would probably get some good use as a day pack as well.  How many feet of rope can it hold?  And what happens when I tie it to the roof of my Subaru for a 450 mile drive.  Oh boy, this could be a fun one.  One question though Jerry:  What about those rumors of a Gregory lightweight?

                                I have read the application and report requirements folder and will comply with the requirements.

                                Review links:

                                Gregory Palisade

                                Delorme TopoUSA

                                Garmin eTrex Summit

                                MSR 1100 ml stowaway pot

                                MSR Whisperlite Internationale 600

                                Sierra Designs Sandman Flex 3D

                              • David Anderson
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 28, 2002
                                  Well, I tried on a large gust, and I could sort of get it to fit, till I
                                  tried on the belt. With the buckles all the way to the end ot the straps it
                                  was tight.

                                  I guess go-lite expects you to get lite before you can use their packs.

                                  If you're somewhat fat like me you might want to find a local dealer to try
                                  them on before the test close.

                                  Dave

                                  David Anderson writes:

                                  > I guess I'll have to find a dealer tomorrow and see if they are long enough.
                                  > Their site lists a dealer in north Seattle, I hope they have one in stock.
                                  >
                                  > Dave
                                • willrietveld
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 28, 2002
                                    Jerry, here is my application to test the Golite Earth Pack

                                    Name: Will Rietveld
                                    Age: 59
                                    Height: 6'
                                    Weight: 170
                                    Location: Southwest Colorado and Southeastern Utah
                                    Pack size: Large
                                    Qualifications: I am a retired research scientist with over 150
                                    research publications. I am very exerienced at applying a scientific
                                    approach and objective analysis and reporting. I am an experienced
                                    ultralight backpacker, and have given 2 workshops on LW backpacking
                                    in the Southwest.

                                    Test Proposed: I would test the Earth pack in spring and summer
                                    conditions in both the mountains and desert. This would involve
                                    carrying different gear and pack weights on late winter and spring
                                    trips in the Utah canyon country, and spring and summer trips in the
                                    mountains. I do a lot of off-trail hiking, and would be able to test
                                    the pack under bushwhacking conditions. I am also planning several
                                    longer backpacking trips where I can test the pack's performance. I
                                    already own the Golite Breeze pack, and would be able to compare
                                    their more full-featured pack with their minimalizt pack.

                                    Owner reviews:

                                    Western Mountaineering Highlite Sleeping Bag:
                                    Highlight/owner review of Highlight2.htm

                                    SafeWater Anywhere Personal Water Filter:
                                    Treatment/SafeWater Anywhere Personal /owner report on SWA filter
                                    bottle.htm

                                    Other Gear being tested by applicant:
                                    SealSkinz socks and gloves (just received)
                                  • willrietveld
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 1, 2002
                                      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "willrietveld" <willjanet@f...> wrote:

                                      > Jerry, here is my application to test the Golite Earth Pack. In my
                                      original application I forget to inclued the important statement on
                                      meeting the testing requirements.

                                      > Name: Will Rietveld
                                      > Age: 59
                                      > Height: 6'
                                      > Weight: 170
                                      > Location: Southwest Colorado and Southeastern Utah
                                      > Pack size: Large
                                      Pack Color: Green
                                      > Qualifications: I am a retired research scientist with over 150
                                      > research publications. I am very exerienced at applying a
                                      scientific
                                      > approach and objective analysis and reporting. I am an experienced
                                      > ultralight backpacker, and have given 2 workshops on LW backpacking
                                      > in the Southwest.
                                      >
                                      > Test Proposed: I would test the Earth pack in spring and summer
                                      > conditions in both the mountains and desert. This would involve
                                      > carrying different gear and pack weights on late winter and spring
                                      > trips in the Utah canyon country, and spring and summer trips in the
                                      > mountains. I do a lot of off-trail hiking, and would be able to
                                      test the pack under bushwhacking conditions. I am also planning
                                      several
                                      > longer backpacking trips where I can test the pack's performance. I
                                      > already own the Golite Breeze pack, and would be able to compare
                                      > their more full-featured pack with their minimalizt pack.

                                      I have read the Tester Requirements in the Files section and agree to
                                      comply with all of the tester and report requirements.

                                      > Owner reviews:
                                      >
                                      > Western Mountaineering Highlite Sleeping Bag:
                                      > Highlight/owner review of Highlight2.htm
                                      >
                                      > SafeWater Anywhere Personal Water Filter:
                                      > Treatment/SafeWater Anywhere Personal /owner report on SWA filter
                                      > bottle.htm
                                      >
                                      > Other Gear being tested by applicant:
                                      > SealSkinz socks and gloves (just received)
                                    • Nathan
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 5, 2002
                                        Golite Land and EarthJerry,

                                        I would like to apply to apply for the Go Lite Earth or Land Pack tests.

                                        Personal Info:
                                        Name: Nathan Kempfer
                                        Age: 40
                                        Weight: 215
                                        email: nathan@...
                                        Location for test: Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Vermont, Virginia

                                        Jerry, I have been backpacking, hiking, camping, canoeing, and orienteering
                                        since I was around 6. I grew up very active in the boy scouts, earned my
                                        Eagle, became an assistant scout master and have lead multiple trips.
                                        Further, I have had experience with, and leading, mission groups throughout
                                        many Central American countries. Currently, I am a career
                                        firefighter/paramedic and own an outfitting company with my wife. I am
                                        beginning my busy season with every weekend full beginning the second
                                        weekend of march. I have multiple trips going to a wide variety of
                                        geographies.

                                        I have not had the opportunity to test any product as of yet, but I have
                                        also applied to test the Princeton Tec Switchback.

                                        I have posted the following owner reports:

                                        1. Vortex Backpacks 5800
                                        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Packs/Vortex%20Backpac
                                        ks%205800/Vortex%20Backpacks%205800.htm)

                                        2. Silva Pathfinder Map Case
                                        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/Navigation%20%26%20Map
                                        %20Gear/Silva%20Pathfinder%20Map%20Case/Silva%20Pathfinder%20Map%20Case%20Pr
                                        oduct%20Review.htm )

                                        Thanks for your consideration!

                                        The next items (that would make it NOW) up for test are the Golite Earth
                                        and Land packs. We have 3 Earths and 2 Lands to test. When you post your
                                        applications please indicate which one you are interested in testing. All
                                        rules apply.

                                        Jerry

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor