Strider

  • Bighummel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2000
      Dear Backpackgeartest:

      I welcome the opportunity to test backpacking gear from manufacturers. I
      understand that long distance hiking is an edge group that often don't find
      the standard backpacking gear able to meet their needs. I also know that
      standard backpacking gear is shifting towards higher tech, lighter weight and
      greater functionality. These are all directions that long distance hikers
      seek in the equipment they choose and put to enormous durability tests. You
      will find many on this list that commonly do, or are planning to do long
      distance hikes where a test of the durability, functionality and light weight
      characteristics of new products can be fully evaluated.

      However, I believe that I offer a more valuable overall evaluation of new
      products by bringing a longer term view to the task. I thruhiked the Pacific
      Crest Trail in 1977 and have maintained an active interest and investment in
      new backpacking products over the ensuing 23 years. I have modified my
      equipment in an effort to gain the benefits of long distance hiking
      strategies on shorter trips.

      I am 44 years old, married with five children. I am employed as a senior
      sales manager of high-tech, industrial equipment. I camp and hike in the
      mountains of Southern California and the Sierra Nevadas about six times per
      year. I also frequently ocean kayak around the Channel Islands in Southern
      California. I have climbed Mt. Rainier and occasionally technical ice climb
      in the high Sierras.

      If you have products that you wish me to evaluate for you, please respond
      directly via email or call me during business hours at 310-900-0400.

      Best regards,

      Greg "Strider" Hummel