OR - Mountain House Standard Entree - Marina Batzke

  • Marina Batzke
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2014
      I will upload an html when the website is running again.
      Regards
      Marina Batzke

      MOUNTAIN HOUSE New Orleans Style Rice with Shrimp and Ham
      BY MARINA BATZKE
      OR
      June 30, 2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Marina Batzke
      EMAIL: mbbp2013 (at) hotmail (dot) com
      AGE: 54
      LOCATION: Los Angeles County, California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 5" (1.65 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I converted from day hiking and car camping to backpacking in spring 2013. Since then, I have selectively purchased new, more lightweight gear, while I still carry some heavier gear from my car camping trips.  I always hike with a group and I like the gear talk when in camp.  I am a tent camper looking for ways to lighten my pack.  My backpacking trips are currently weekend excursions in Southern California, USA.  If my business travel allows me to get away, I try to backpack one or two weekends a month.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Mountain House, a division of Oregon Freeze Dry, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.mountainhouse.com">>
      MSRP: US $7.29
      Listed Weight: 5.11 oz (145 g)
      Measured Weight: 5.3 oz (150 g)
      Other details:
      As of June 2014, Mountain House offers 20 different standard entree pouch meals, ranging in price from $6.99 to $9.99.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Packing unit size comparison">>

      FIELD USE

      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, Southern California, USA
      Trip duration: 2 days/ 1 night: April 2014
      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, Southern California, USA
      Trip duration: 2 days/ 1 night: April 2014
      Location: San Jacinto, Southern California, USA
      Trip duration: 3 days/ 2 nights June 2014

      PRODUCT REVIEW

      I use a Jetboil stove to boil water and have typically been eating ramen soup for dinner. On several backcountry trips, I noticed fellow hikers eat Mountain House entrees. So recently I have tried out a couple of the Mountain House Standard Entree pouches.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Close-up of upper corner">>
      The Mountain House Standard Entree comes in a lightweight aluminum pouch with multi-color print on the outside, while silver-colored on the pouch inside. Near the top of both side edges, the aluminum has a tear notch for easy pull opening. The close-up photo of the upper corner shows (from the outside) a hint of the press-seal, below that the tear notch and below that the zipper.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3"  IMAGE CAPTION = "A look inside">>
      Inside I see the clear plastic zipper and at the pouch bottom the freeze-dried food with a white, small oxygen absorber bag.
      When I took a look at the nutritional values of the packaged entree, I noticed that the package contents is actually 2.5 servings. Therefore before my trips, I open the pouch at one of its tear notches and pull the top pouch section off.  First I discard the oxygen absorber bag. Then I divide the freeze-dried container contents into two ziplock bags and thereby turn one Standard Entree pouch into two dinners. On my recent 2-night backpack, I took the aluminum pouch and those two separate ziplock bags along. I boiled water in my Jetboil, emptied one zip-lock bag contents into the aluminum pouch and poured about 12 fl oz (355 ml) of hot water over the freeze-dried food. Using a plastic spoon, I stirred water and food. Then I closed the zipper and let the food sit for at least ten minutes. In the past, I once was a bit too impatient and did not wait the recommended 8 - 9  minutes. On that occasion, the rice was still a bit crispy. Since then, I have been waiting rather longer than 9 minutes with positive results: the food is fully softened and ready to enjoy.
      After I have eaten the first dinner, I clean out the aluminum pouch with some hot water and repeat the same meal preparation process the 2nd night.
      I like the New Orleans Style Rice with Shrimp and Ham dish: it is well spiced and really contains a good share of small ham cubes and cute small full-size shrimps. The packaging boldly states "Low Sodium". Looking at the nutritional facts and seeing that I am eating 1.25 servings a dinner, that would be 0.013 oz (362.5 mg).
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Nutrition facts">>

      THINGS I LIKE

      I can eat right out of the pouch - no need for a bowl
      Easy to make
      Great taste
      Half of the pouch contents still plenty of dinner for me

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      2.5 servings in one pouch seems an odd measurement to me

      SIGNATURE

      Marina Batzke

      Copyright 2014.  All rights reserved.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1 8:50 PM

        Thank you for answering the Monthly Call.  Your review has been added to the Edit Queue.  You will be hearing from one of our Editors very soon.

        Editors Team Director

      • Marina Batzke
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11 8:53 PM

          Now that the website allows uploading again, please find below my HTML link for the June OR.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 18 9:27 AM

            Hi Marina,

            Thanks for the Owner Review in answer to the call. I have a few edits for you, after which you may place the corrected HTML version at:

            Reviews > Food > Packaged Meals > Mountain House New Orleans Style Rice

            Ray

            ***Manufacturer: Mountain House, a division of Oregon Freeze Dry, Inc.

            EDIT: you can just list it as Oregon Freeze Dry Inc.

            ***As of June 2014, Mountain House offers 20 different standard entree pouch meals, ranging in price from $6.99 to $9.99.

            EDIT: We don’t make mention of their other products, just the one we are reviewing, unless you are reviewing an entire line like some of my food reviews. Plus that info may change down the road anyway.

            ***Location: San Jacinto, Southern California, USA

            Edit: I take it you mean Mt San Jacinto or Mt San Jacinto State Park, not the town of San Jacinto?

            ***Then I divide the freeze-dried container contents into two ziplock bags and thereby turn one Standard Entree pouch into two dinners. On my recent 2-night backpack, I took the aluminum pouch and those two separate ziplock bags along. I boiled water in my Jetboil, emptied one zip-lock bag

            EDIT: as Ziploc is a trademarked name it needs to be spelled their way. If it is a generic brand then they can be called a zip-locking bag

          • Marina Batzke