OR - Jetboil ZIP Cooking System - Marina Batzke

  • Marina Batzke
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2014
      Thank you,
      Marina Batzke

      JETBOIL ZIP Cooking System
      BY MARINA BATZKE
      OR
      June 26, 2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Marina Batzke
      EMAIL: mbbp2013 (at) hotmail (dot) com
      AGE: 54
      LOCATION: Los Angeles County, California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 5" (1.65 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I converted from day hiking and car camping to backpacking in spring 2013. Since then, I have selectively purchased new, more lightweight gear, while I still carry some heavier gear from my car camping trips.  I always hike with a group and I like the gear talk when in camp.  I am a tent camper looking for ways to lighten my pack.  My backpacking trips are currently weekend excursions in Southern California, USA.  If my business travel allows me to get away, I try to backpack one or two weekends a month.

      PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer:  Jetboil, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture:  2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.jetboil.com">>
      MSRP: US $79.99
      Listed Weight: 12 oz (340 g) system weight without pot support and fuel stabilizer
      Measured Weight: 12 oz (340 g)
      Other details:
      Jetboil also offers the superior cooking systems: FLASH and SOL, plus group cooking systems.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 7"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Comparison">>

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Jetboil ZIP is a lightweight and compact cooking system set. ZIP is Jetboil's entry-level cooking system. ZIP consists of the:
      -  0.8 liter (27 fl oz) cooking cup with its insulating wrap and its FluxRing bottom
      -  adjustable burner
      -  stabilizing tripod
      -  opaque black rubber lid with spout and strainer
      -  plastic bottom cover which doubles as measuring and drinking cup
      -  metal pot support
      I only need to separately buy the gas canister.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "The purchase set components">>
      These Jetboil ZIP components are designed to stack perfectly inside of the insulated cooking cup:  first I place the orange tripod inside, then the burner, now the gas can and I seal the set with the rubber lid.  I protect the FluxRing bottom with the plastic cup.  As I always cook using the insulated cooking cup and do not even own another cook pot, I do not take the metal pot support on my trips.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4"  IMAGE CAPTION = "If I wanted to use other pots than the ZIP">>

      PRODUCT REVIEW

      On my overnight trips, I typically have hot oatmeal for breakfast and either Ramen soup or Miso soup for dinner.  I fill the package contents into the insulated cup, filter water into the cup and I make sure not to exceed the maximum fill line indicator.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Ramen soup for dinner">>      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3"  IMAGE CAPTION = "The Jetboil ZIP assembled">>
      While the insulated cup can theoretically hold 27 fl oz (0.8 L), the recommended maximum fill is only 16 oz (0.47 L). I snap on the orange stabilizing tripod to the gas canister bottom, then I screw-attach the stove to the gas canister by rotation. Now I turn the black plus/minus button left to start the gas flow. I ignite the gas with a lighter. I position this set on firm ground, so it cannot tip over. I attach the insulated cup to the stove by inserting the indentation at the cup's bottom onto the stove top's tiny bump, then slide the canister left.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Insert the cup over the bump, then twist cup left">>    <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Oatmeal in insulated cup, coffee in cup">>
      It is important to not use a windscreen with this gas canister stove to avoid a heat buildup of the canister itself.  I usually try to shelter the stove from excessive wind with my body, while lighting it.  Once the ZIP stove burns, I have not had the wind blow it out.
      During a 3-day snow camp, I kept the fuel canister whenever not in use in the foot area of my sleeping bag to protect it against the freezing cold.  I was impressed that the Jetboil started right away when I boiled water for a hot breakfast or dinner.  Due to the high elevation of 8860 ft (2700 m) and the cold temperatures of 18-43 F (-8 to 6 C), it took quite a bit longer to boil the hot water and I used up a small canister on that trip, boiling water for breakfast oatmeal and coffee, dinner and tea for 2 people over 3 days.
      I am very careful when I insert the system components into the cooking pot or when I take them out to avoid scratching the sensitive pot inside walls.
      I have noticed that the cooking cup has kept a faint Ramen soup scent, even though I have also made hot oatmeal in it or just boiled plain water and I always immediately clean the cup when I return home from a backpacking trip. I smell that slight Ramen soup scent even after having aired out the coup for a couple of days.
      There are a couple of things I do not like about the ZIP and that I feel make it essential to go with the Flash upgrade instead:
      1) ZIP does NOT have the color-change heat indicator. I feel it is a guessing game when the water is boiling.
      2) The rubber lid of the ZIP is opaque black. It happened to me on several occasions that I repeatedly kept lifting the opaque lid to peek inside whether the water was already boiling or not yet. Each time, heat (steam) escaped which probably delayed the boiling point a bit. So I kept the lid on and waited a while longer ... until suddenly hot soup or water came bubbling through the lid pour spout and strainer openings. One time I was hastily trying to turn the stove off with boiling hot soup spilling over my hands. Now I always strategically position the gas on/off button for my right hand's direct access and - once I feel that the liquid is near its boiling point - I have my right hand on the on/off turn button to turn the gas off the second I notice the liquid bubbling up.
      I contacted Jetboil Customer Service and suggested they switch to see-through, translucent rubber lids for all their Jetboils for safety's sake. After I described my experiences with the liquid boiling over, they shipped me an orange translucent lid (from the Flash Tomato) free of charge and I can now peek through the orange lid.
      3) ZIP does NOT have the push-button igniter. I have no good experience lighting the ZIP with matches. By the time I have ignited the match and try to move it to the ZIP gas ring, the wind has blown the match out. Instead I use a cigarette lighter. Yet throughout the winter months, my hands were often cold and stiff and it was difficult for me to ratchet the lighter to a spark. A couple of times, I used a twig with a glowing end from our camp fire to light the ZIP.

      FIELD USE

      Location:  Third Stream Crossing Lytle Creek, San Bernardino National Forest, California, USA
      Elevation:  4000 ft (1200 m)
      Trip duration: 2 days/ 1 night
      Temperatures:  60-80 F (16-27 C)
      Location: Henninger Flats, Angeles National Forest, California, USA
      Elevation:  2600 ft (790 m)
      Trip duration: 2 days/ 1 night
      Temperatures:  64-90 F (18-32 C)
      Location: Little Jimmy Campground, Angeles National Forest, California, USA
      Elevation:   7500 ft (2290 m)
      Trip duration: 2 days/ 1 night
      Temperatures: 35-58 F (2-14 C)
      Location: Henninger Flats, Angeles National Forest, California, USA
      Elevation:  2600 ft (790 m)
      Trip duration: 2 days/ 1 night
      Temperatures:  64-90 F (18-32 C)
      Location: Mount Lowe Trail Camp, Angeles National Forest, California, USA
      Elevation: 4500 ft (1400 m)
      Trip duration: 2 days/ 1 night
      Temperatures: 50-67 F (10-19 C)
      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, California, USA
      Elevation: 3000 ft (914 m)
      Trip duration: 2 days/ 1 night
      Temperatures: 45-70 F (7-21 C)
      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, California, USA
      Elevation: 5000 ft (1525 m)
      Trip duration: 2 days/ 1 night
      Temperatures:  50-75 F (10-24 C)
      Location: Table Mountain Group Campground, SW of Bishop, California, USA
      Elevation:  8860 ft (2700 m)
      Trip duration: 3 days/ 2 nights
      Temperatures:  18-43 F (-8 to 6 C)
      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, California, USA
      Elevation: 3080 ft (940 m)
      Trip duration: 2 days/ 1 night
      Temperatures:  50-90 F (10-32 C)

      SUMMARY

      While I love the Jetboil ZIP for its light weight and compact size (all components easily stored inside the cooking pot), I would not buy the ZIP again but instead the Jetboil Flash for its improved features.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Light weight
      Compact: all components fit into cooking pot

      THINGS I DO NOT LIKE

      No color-changing heat indicator when contents is hot
      Black opaque lid does not allow me to look into the cooking cup
      Cooking cup has persistent Ramen soup smell
      Occasionally has taken me numerous attempts to light stove with a lighter (forget matches)
      Scratch-sensitive cup inside walls

      SIGNATURE

      Marina Batzke

      Copyright 2014.  All rights reserved.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2014

        Thank you for answering the Monthly Call.  Your review has been added to the Edit Queue.  You will be hearing from one of our Editors very soon.

        Editors Team Director

      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13, 2014

          Hi Marina,

          I’ll be your editor for this one, thanks for answering the call for reviews. I have a few edits for you. Once corrected please REPOST here and place a new HTML version in the Owner Review Test folder. Which is here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

          You have been placing your copies in the top level, not in the folder.

          See you later,

          Ray

          EDIT: please note that the name of the product is “Zip” not ZIP. Please correct all instances.

          ***Manufacturer: Jetboil, Inc.

          EDIT: It is Johnson Outdoors Inc. (They bought Jetboil two years ago.)

          ***Listed Weight: 12 oz (340 g) system weight without pot support and fuel stabilizer

          ***Edit: since you mention them, the readers may like to know what they weigh on a separate line. If they came with the system that weight must be shown in the total weight or as added lines.

          ***Jetboil also offers the superior cooking systems: FLASH and SOL, plus group cooking systems.

          ***Comparison

          EDIT: You are only reviewing the Zip and that is all that should be shown in the review.  No specs for other systems please. We don’t do comparisons.

          EDIT: One of the things that made Jetboil such a game-changer when it hit the market was its integrated heat exchanger. You really should make mention of how the Zip stove and its Fluxring “works”. Stoves are hard to write about as they are pretty technical items.

          ***I fill the package contents into the insulated cup, filter water into the cup and I make sure not to exceed the maximum fill line indicator.

          EDIT: I “place” the package contents into the insulated cup, or I “put” the package contents into the insulated cup