Revised OR: DTO Extreme Ultralite Backpacking Towel

  • liz.kibby
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2014
      After completing and publishing my first owner review, I have revised this one to reflect what I learned.

      The link is here: http://bit.ly/1kjS6h9

      The pasted review is below.

      Thanks in advance,

      Liz Kibby

      Discovery Trekking Outfitters

      Extreme Ultralite Backpacking Towel

      Reviewed by Liz Kibby
      May 18, 2014
      Owner Review

      Tester Information

      Name: Liz Kibby

      Email: kibby454@...

      Age: 22

      Location: Western Massachusetts, USA

      Gender: Female

      Height: 5’4” (1.63 m)

      Weight: 121 lb (54.9 kg)

      Biography: I am still relatively new to backpacking, although I am an avid day hiker and only truly feel at home in the outdoors. I’ve spent time hiking in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and I am getting ready to begin exploring the Appalachian Trail (AT) this summer and fall. I use a hammock and maintain a pack load of about 36 L (9.5 gal) right now, which I am working on reducing. I am comfortable hiking ten to fifteen miles per day (16-24 km).

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Discovery Trekking Outfitters

      Manufacturer’s Website: http://www.discoverytrekking.com/

      Year of Manufacture: 2014

      Model: Extreme Ultralite Backpacking Towel

      MSRP: $24.95

      Color Reviewed: Red

      Other Colors Available: Moss, Navy, Dark Blue, Charcoal, Sage, Red, and Royal

      Size Reviewed: Regular

      Listed Dimensions: 28 in x 34 in (71 cm x 86 cm)

      Measured Dimensions: 28.5 in x 33.5 in (72.5 cm x 85cm)

      Listed Weight: 2.8oz (80g)

      Measured Weight: 2.8oz (80g)

      DTO Extreme Ultralite TowelDTO Exteme Ultralite Towel

      Description

      Discovery Trekking Outfitters' Extreme Ultralite Backpacking Towel is manufactured from 100% polyester, a material that I like to think of as a hiker's best friend.

      The fabric is not only silky smooth to the touch, but contains Polygiene Recycled Silver Salt. This material is eco-friendly, safe for the user, and completely natural. The materials all come from the US and the towel is cut and finished in Canada, where the manufacturer is located.

      The towel is marketed to backpackers, hikers, outdoor enthusiasts, swimmers, and travellers. The towel comes in three different sizes, to suit each individuals' need. The shape is rectangular, and there are no logos, just a tag with instructions on the inside.

      There are no loops or pouches that accompany the towel. This can be a good thing for minimalists, who will also appreciate that the towels can range from 1.3 oz (38g) to 6.5 oz (183g).

      The silver, which has been micro-encapsulated to the yarns, naturally repels bacteria and odor, while the towel works to whisk away moisture and distribute it evenly across the towel, resulting in fast drying times.

      It is extremely low maintance, machine washable, and stays fresh between washings, as long as the user takes care to keep deoderants, sunscreens, and lotions away from the material.

      According to the designers, the larger towels will have increased drying capacity because they have more surface area to distribute the water on.

      Initial Impression

      The towel took a very short amount of time to ship out to me, which was very enjoyable for me, as I was eager to test the product.

      It arrived in a small packet via air post, with everything clearly labeled and visible. Inside the package, the towel was folded and placed inside of a protective plastic bag.

      Included with the towel in the packet were three and a half pages of literature. The first thing I was shown was a half sheet of paper giving me the general overview of the towel, where to find their other products, and ways to follow the company on social media.

      There were two full size, color pages that were included as well, which contained a more detailed description of the towel and it's materials, as well as some reviews and comments from other users. And of course, the last page was the packing slip.

      The only thing I noticed was some of the paperwork spellings and color choices were different on the website. The site had more accurate information and options.

      The reviews the company chose were quite ambitious, so I became more eager to try out the product. One, for example, stated a user left the soaking towel on his shower floor for 24 hours and found it completely dry. Needless to say, I was curious to see if it would live up to the expectations.

      Field Conditions

      I tried this towel out for three weeks in all the conditions I could seem to find in New England to test it on. Believe me when I say that can include many different variations on weather and temperature conditions.

      I hiked the Massachusetts section of the Appalachian Trail for one week, brought it with me to Granville State Forest in MA, went on overnights to Lee and Becket, MA with it, I also took a three day long hiking trip in New Haven, CT.

      In summation, I have traveled with the towel 215 mi (346 km) total so far, and plan to keep trying it out as the weather gets much warmer as well. The towel has travelled from 19' elevation to 3,000' (5.8m - 914m), and has ranged from temperatures of 40F - 78F (4.4C - 25.6C) so far.

      I have used it so far as a body towel, hair towel, bandanna, sweat rag, to wipe off rain from my hammock, even to brew coffee. Although I haven't had it for longer than a month, I have used it for everything I have used backpacking towels for in the past, and then some.

      I have let it dry by hanging from my hammock, from trees, draping it across grass or bushes on sunny days, to even letting it dry around my neck or tying it loosely to my pack.

      Observations

      At less than 3 oz (85 g) this towel is really great for ultralite backpacking trips. Considering the large surface area of the towel itself, I would consider this a good bet for anyone, such as myself, that likes to be able to use something environmentally-friendly and safe, which will dry quickly and remain light weight.

      The surface area of the towel is impressive yet still remains ultra light thanks to the silver in the material, so I never noticed the weight of it. The size makes it substantial, though, which is nice for multipurpose needs.

      Using the towel itself, I quickly picked up the proper moisture-wicking technique that would result in the fastest and most thorough drying experience. I rarely ever had to soak the towel all the way through for anything, besides washing. Water spreads and evaporates quickly off the towel.

      One day, determined to see what it would take to get it fully soaked with water, I used it to dry myself, my hair, my cooking utensils, fly and outside of my hammock. If I was a little faster I think I would have been able to do it. But I was impressed, the moisture is drawn out so quickly, even on an overcast day.

      I began to use it for coffee. This isn't something I had ever done before with a hiking towel, although I've seen it done, so I decided to give it a whirl. Delicious.

      But no matter how much sweat I wiped off the towel, it was the only thing that never smelt bad after a long day of hiking. I did make the mistake of getting a bit of white doeoderant on it, but it came right off when I washed the towel afterward.

      What I enjoy most about the product is the recycled silver that is embedded right into the actual fabric. Machine washing just made it slightly softer, but other than that almost nothing could change the fabric's feel or look.

      The smooth texture of the towel is quite nice to the touch, and I even use this towel on days when I am not hiking, because it has become so convenient.

      I have enjoyed my experience with the company and the product.

      Summary

      After using it, I would recommend this ultralite backpacking towel by Discovery Trekking Outfitters to fellow backpackers and outdoor enthusiasts.

      Working with the company has been very enjoyable. They were responsive, sent the towel quickly, and have remained active throughout the testing period. It was never hard to find information on their website.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2014

        Thanks for your Owner's Review. It has been added to the Owner Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get your first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)Hotmail.com

        You may also receive edits or comments from other members of the group. These edits and comments, while not official, should be considered carefully, and if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your review. Please put REVISED in the subject line of your re-submitted review if you take this route or make any changes to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit Moderator.

        It’s very helpful to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list once a week.

        Editors Team Director

      • geartest7000
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 26, 2014
          Hi Liz,

          Thank you for your second Owner Review.  Our apologies for the very long time it's taken to get to your review!  Normally we respond sooner, so thanks for your patience.  You've written a very comprehensive review with lots of details that gives a good sense of how you've used the towel.

          Your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format -
          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the
          subject line, followed by the product name and your name.

          Regards,
          ~Bob

          ####Email: kibby454@...
          Comment:  you might want to consider obfuscating your email to avoid having it "scraped" from the site for spam; for example, kibby454 at gmail dot com

          ####maintain a pack load of about 36 L (9.5 gal) right now, which I am working on reducing.
          EDIT:  change load to volume, which will match your units
          Comment:  most BGT writers also use weight to describe how much they carry

          ####MSRP: $24.95
          EDIT: add "US" before the $ symbol

          ####Measured Dimensions: 28.5 in x 33.5 in (72.5 cm x 85cm)
          ####Listed Weight: 2.8oz (80g)
          ####Measured Weight: 2.8oz (80g)
          EDIT:  Here, and elsewhere for units in your review, add space between measurement and unit name

          ####The towel comes in three different sizes, to suit each individuals' need.
          EDIT:  individual's
          Edit: You might mention here that yours is the "regular" size

          ####It is extremely low maintance
          EDIT: maintenance

          ####as long as the user takes care to keep deoderants
          EDIT:  deodorants

          ####The towel is marketed to backpackers, hikers, outdoor enthusiasts, swimmers, and travellers.
          EDIT: travelers

          ####The towel took a very short amount of time to ship out to me
          Edit:  you could mention the number of days, if you recall this

          ####towel and it's materials
          EDIT:  its

          ####The only thing I noticed was some of the paperwork spellings and color choices were different on the website.
          Edit:  could insert "that" between was and some
          Comment: perhaps Canadian English differences?

          ####The site had more accurate information and options.
          Comment:  this is good to point out

          ####One, for example, stated a user left the soaking towel on his shower floor for 24 hours and found it completely dry. Needless to say, I was curious to see if it would live up to the expectations.
          EDIT:  Although BGT reviews should be about your own experiences with an item, you could keep this sentence if you were to conduct the experiment yourself and report on your own results.

          ####conditions I could seem to find in New England to test it on.
          EDIT:  test it in

          ####overnights to Lee and Becket, MA with it, I also took a three day long hiking trip in New Haven, CT.
          EDIT:  comma after "it" needs to be either a semi-colon, or period to make two sentences

          ####travelled from 19' elevation to 3,000' (5.8m - 914m)
          EDIT:  19 ft     3,000 ft  (ft in place of apostrophe, space between numbers and units)

          ####I have used it so far as a body towel, hair towel, bandanna, sweat rag, to wipe off rain from my hammock, even to brew coffee.
          Comment: hopefully the coffee was made not directly after use as a sweat rag :)

          ####Using the towel itself, I quickly picked up the proper moisture-wicking technique
          Edit: can you elaborate a bit on the technique that you used?

          ####my cooking utensils, fly and outside of my hammock.
          EDIT:  comma after "fly"
          Edit:  might be clearer to add "tent" or "rain" to fly (assuming you meant that)

          ####But I was impressed, the moisture is drawn out so quickly, even on an overcast day.
          EDIT: not sure of meaning for "drawn out", do you mean evaporate, wrung out, or ??

          ####But no matter how much sweat I wiped off the towel, it was the only thing that never smelt bad after a long day of hiking. EDIT:  There's an ambigous "it", best to rephrase so it's clear that what didn't small bad was the towel, not your sweat
          One possibility:  "But no matter how much sweat I wiped off, the towel never smelt bad after a long day of hiking."

          ####The towel has travelled from
          EDIT: traveled

          #### a bit of white doeoderant
          EDIT: deodorant

          ####and have remained active throughout the testing period. It was never hard to find information on their website.
          EDIT: can you clarify what you mean by "remained active" - did you have any active contact as a customer after you starting using the towel (e.g. email, phone)?  Reviewer experiences with company customer service (if any) are important parts of BGT reviews