OR - GERBER COMPACT SPORT MP 400 MULTI-TOOL - DAVID BELOW

  • dbelow4
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2014

      Here is my owner review of the Gerber Compact Sport MP 400 Multi-Tool

      Also find the following link to the HTML version:

      http://tinyurl.com/klfp8st

      David

      OR GERBER COMPACT SPORT MP 400 MULTI TOOL
      BY DAVID BELOW
      OR
      May 11, 2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: David Below
      EMAIL: below4 AT hotmail.co.uk
      AGE: 24
      LOCATION: Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.82 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.00 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking around 15 years ago with the Scouts, and I now run camps and trips as a Scout leader which are my most common outings. I form part of a 4-man leader team supervising 10-15 Scouts, but also enjoy social trips with 3 or 4 friends. I have been on numerous walks throughout the United Kingdom in all weathers and terrains. I like my pack to be small and light but I'm not an extreme lightweight backpacker. I have always used mid-range gear but have recently started upgrading to more expensive equipment for greater comfort and reliability.

      PRODUCT DETAILS

      Manufacturer Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.gerber-store.co.uk">>
      Year of Manufacture: 2006

      Knife Blade Length: 5.7 cm/ 2.25 in - verified
      Overall Length (Pliers extended but not including tools): 14.3 cm/ 5.6 in - verified
      Closed length (Pliers and tools all folded away):  11.1 cm/4.3 in - verified
      Weight: 193 g/ 6.8 oz. - verified

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Gerber Compact Sport MP 400 Multi-Tool is a very sturdy, reliable and dependable tool. It is a simple to use but extremely safe tool, thanks to Gerber's Saf.T.Plus fully locking system. It is made from good quality stainless steel, which is not only reliable but will also keep the tool looking very good even after many years of use. All of the tools are fully lockable, they simply click in to place but then remain locked out until the black slide on the handle is pulled back, which releases the mechanism and allows the tool to be folded away. The pliers are also lockable, they easily slide up and also click in to place and remain out until the two centre pins on the handles are pushed in, which releases the lock and allows the plier nose to slide back down the handles in to its packed position (this can only be done when handles are closed together).
      It features 12 tools (No. 5 counts as 2 separate):
      1. Needle nose pliers
      2. Wire strippers
      3. Wire cutters
      4. Fiskars scissors
      5. ½ fine edge and ½ serrated knife
      6. Phillips screwdriver
      7. Small flat screwdriver
      8. Medium flat screwdriver
      9. Large flat screwdriver
      10. Bottle opener
      11. Can opener

      FIELD USAGE

      8 years worth of Scout Association weekly meetings and annual trips, and numerous social camping weekends. Been used mainly for the purposes of cutting through sisal, string, rope, netting; whittling sticks and thin lengths of wood and carving in to larger sticks and logs.

      PRODUCT REVIEW

      I have had my Gerber Compact Sport MP 400 multi-tool for around 8 years now and it has been the most reliable tool I have ever owned. I have experienced a wide variety of multi-tools, mainly from my scouting experiences, and no other product I have used comes close to the quality offered by the Gerber MP 400.

      To start with let's look at the tool as a whole. It folds away to a nicely compact size, only 11.1 cm/4.3 in, which is a good size to fit in a pocket, or take up very little space in a bag. It does come with a protective carry case which increases the packed size slightly (see picture below) but it is a good quality case offering a lot of protection and I have always chosen to use it. The Compact Sport MP 400 is made of stainless steel, which isn't the lightest material; causing it to weigh 193 g/6.8 oz., but it does make the knife feel very sturdy and reliable. Even when the smaller tools are unfolded for use the tool has never felt delicate or flimsy. The stainless steel combined with the carry case has kept my tool damage free and looking almost new for 8 years, with minimal maintenance, even after a lot of use!

      We then move on to the pliers. As stated in the description, to access the pliers you slide the nose upwards out of the handle using the pins on the sides, and it will then lock in place. You can then open the handles of the tool and use them as a very sturdy pair of pliers. I have 6 years experience of working in the motor trade and used a large number of standalone pliers, and the main problem you find is that the teeth will often be quite grippy to start off with but then become damaged very easily causing the pliers to lose grip. The teeth on the Gerber however are all fully intact after 8 years and still have an extremely good grip, and not just for a multi-tool, but for a pair of pliers full stop.  The wire cutters have not been of as much use to me, but from the limited use they have had they appear to be just as durable. Due to the style I am not sure how effective they would be when used for wire strippers, however this is one of very few features I haven't used.

      Once the pliers are pulled out, the handles then separate allowing access to the rest of the tools. To access the tools they unfold from inside the handle, and lock in the outward position. To fold them back in the black lever on the handle slides upwards, releasing the lock and the tool will fold back in. The one that I have had the most use of by far is the knife. I own a large collection of penknives and the blade on this multi-tool is just as good if not better than all of them. When I bought it the knife came sharper than any other knife I owned, and it also seems to last longer before going blunt again. I have had to sharpen it a few times due to the length of time I have owned it, but even after doing so numerous times, and after all of its' regular use, the blade is still scratch free and undamaged. While it is a fairly small blade when compared to some penknives, it is a good size blade for a multi-tool (5.7 cm/ 2.25 in) and has always served me well, whether I have been cutting through string, using the serrated edge to saw through rope, whittling small sticks, or carving in to larger logs, etc. I like this knife in particular because it splits the blade 50:50 between a fine edge and a serrated one, a feature not shared by a lot of knives/tools. This means that for delicate work and generally most wood work I can quite happily use the fine edge, but when I need to work with thicker material such as rope, then I have the serrated section to use to saw through it. I have used it for both purposes and it has so far never let me down.

      We now come to the screwdrivers. There is a good selection of sizes of flat headed (small, medium and large) and one Phillips. The problem I have here, which I must say is the same as every other tool I have used, is the Phillips screwdriver. What I have always found is that whenever I happen to need a Phillips screwdriver and I would choose to use the MP 400, I am always out in a field somewhere, or just generally travelling, and the appliance or item I need to use the screwdriver for is therefore something portable, like a torch or an mp3 player or some other small item. The issue is then that because the item is always portable or travel sized it inevitably uses extremely small screws that are too small for the head of the multi-tool to fit in. I don't know whether it is based on stability, or to keep things looking in proportion, but the Phillips screwdriver is always too big for the jobs that I personally would want to use it for. It is a good size for a regular household screw, but if I was in that environment I would use a regular screwdriver. The whole point of the multi-tool is to be able to take it around with me and use whenever and wherever I am, so why make the Phillips screwdriver the correct size for something household based and not for something portable. The flat head screwdrivers on the other hand as I mentioned before, come in three sizes, and cover pretty much all uses that I've found for them. Whether it's for actual small screws, or to use as a small lever, one of the three size drivers is almost sure to be a suitable size for the job. And as with everything else on the knife they have always been very sturdy and strong, and never left me worrying that they might snap.

      The final features to look at are the can opener, bottle opener and fiskars scissors. There is very little to say about the can and bottle openers, other than they are both functional and dependable. They have always successfully served their purpose without any problems or issues, and what more can you ask for? This leaves the scissors. Before I got my MP 400, I had always seen scissors on multi-tools as a bit of a gimmick and not really anything useful or worth having. They were often rather flimsy and bendy and didn't seem to be very effective at actually cutting anything. The fiskars scissors on the Gerber however are fantastic! I don't often use scissors, and so they haven't had a lot of use, but Gerber claim that they are strong enough to cut through a seat belt so on a few occasions I have had a bit of a play around to experiment. I can happily announce that Gerber were right. Referring back to my time in the motor trade, I know exactly how tough seat belts are; I could quite easily use a few seat belts to lift the full weight of a car off the ground, and worry more about the anchor point than the seat belts. The fiskars scissors however are made in such a way that they can quite easily cut through the belt, or anything else I might need to cut through (sisal/thin plastic, etc.) and without even putting too much strain on my hands or fingers squeezing the handles together. Often scissors can be strong enough to do such things, but either the joint isn't as strong as the build material is, or the force required by the user is too high, therefore making it an unpractical use, but the brilliant quality and design used by Gerber makes using these scissors very easy.

      Overall the Gerber Compact Sport MP 400 multi-tool is a very high quality and very reliable tool to have on any outdoor trip, and I know that I will still be using mine for many years to come.

      PROS & CONS

      Pros:
      " Excellent quality
      " Very reliable and durable
      " Requires minimal maintenance to keep it in good condition
      " Very safe Saf.T.Plus fully locking system

      Cons:
      " Feels slightly heavy for a tool of its' size, but a compromise I am happy to live with given its reliability
      " Phillips screwdriver head too big to use for the majority of purposes I have wanted it for

      Copyright 2014.  All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2014

        Thanks for your Owner's Review. It has been added to the Owner Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get your first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)Hotmail.com

        You may also receive edits or comments from other members of the group. These edits and comments, while not official, should be considered carefully, and if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your review. Please put REVISED in the subject line of your re-submitted review if you take this route or make any changes to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit Moderator.

        It’s very helpful to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list once a week.

        Editors Team Director

      • geartest7000
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2014
          Hi David,

          I'll be your Editor for this OR.  It seems that your HTML version is missing, perhaps you are in the middle of reposting it?  If you've made any changes since the original message, please be sure to prepend your message with "REPOST".

          Thanks,
          ~Bob
        • David Below
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2014
            Hi Bob

            Thanks for the reply, haven't made any changes since the original so no idea why it wasn't there! Have put it on again and included new link which hopefully will work this time!

            OR - Gerber Compact Sport MP 400 - David Below - Backpackgeartest.org
            Reviews > test > OWNER REVIEWS > OR - Gerber Compact Sport MP 400 - David Below OR GERBER COMPACT SPORT MP 400 MULTI TOOL BY DAVID BELOW OWNER REVIEW May 11, 2014 TESTER INFORMATION NAME: David Below
            Preview by Yahoo

            Many thanks
            David

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 18, 2014
              Hi David,

              Thank you for your second Owner Review, your initial edits are below.
              I like your sharp and detailed photos, particularly useful for a small item like this.  Excellent description of how you've used this tool's features!

              As usual, the edits will take the following format -
              EDIT:  must be changed
              Edit:  should be changed but will be left to your discretion
              Comment:  just that or something to think about

              When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line, followed by the product name and your complete name.

              ~Bob

              ####OR GERBER COMPACT SPORT MP 400 MULTI TOOL
              EDIT:  delete OR from start of Review title

              ####PRODUCT DETAILS
              EDIT:  needs an MSRP

              ####8 years worth of Scout Association weekly meetings and annual trips, and numerous social camping weekends. Been used mainly for the purposes of cutting through sisal, string, rope, netting; whittling sticks and thin lengths of wood and carving in to larger sticks and logs.
              EDIT:  For clarity, both of these sentences need modification; you could (1) convert them to a 2-item bullet list, keeping the informal phrasing, or (2) add verbs to make more complete sentences, e.g. "I used the Multi Tool on 8 years' worth...", "I have used it mainly..."

              ####I have had my Gerber Compact Sport MP 400 multi-tool
              EDIT:  Gerber uses "Multi Tool", so to match, your review should reflect that in all places where you refer specifically to the Gerber item

              ####I have experienced a wide variety of multi-tools
              Comment: Ok to use your own spelling here and elsewhere, when you are referring to the item type

              ####nicely compact size, only 11.1 cm/4.3 in
              EDIT:  use parentheses for the converted units, i.e. 11.1 cm (4.3 in)

              ####causing it to weigh 193 g/6.8 oz.
              EDIT: as above, needs parentheses
              EDIT: no period after oz

              ####To fold them back in the black lever on the handle slides upwards, releasing the lock and the tool will fold back in.
              Edit:  a comma after "back in" may increase clarity

              ####To access the tools they unfold from inside the handle
              EDIT:  delete "they" and add "them" after unfold   "To access the tools unfold them from..."

              ####to access the pliers you slide the nose upwards
              EDIT:  replace you with I  (to avoid projection)

              ####You can then open the handles of the tool
              EDIT  replace you with I

              ####and the main problem you find is that the teeth will often
              EDIT:  replace you with I

              ####and after all of its' regular use, the blade is still scratch free and undamaged.
              EDIT:  no apostrophe after "its"

              ####it is a good size blade for a multi-tool (5.7 cm/ 2.25 in)
              EDIT: needs parentheses for converted size

              ####why make the Phillips screwdriver the correct size for something household based and not for something portable.
              EDIT:  needs a question mark at the end the sentence

              ####The flat head screwdrivers on the other hand as I mentioned before,
              EDIT:  needs a comma after "hand"

              ####fiskars scissors.
              EDIT:  captialize "Fiskars" throughout the review, as this is a trade name

              ####and what more can you ask for?
              EDIT:  replace you with I  (to avoid projection)

              ####Overall the Gerber Compact Sport MP 400 multi-tool
              EDIT:  since this is the product name, change to "Multi Tool"

              ####Feels slightly heavy for a tool of its' size
              EDIT:  its
            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 20, 2014

                BOB - David Below(2) -  Gerber Compact Sport MP 400 Multi-Tool – Posted Jun 1(82806), Taken Jun 13, HTML Test Folder version requested jun 13 (82829), Link posted Jun 14,  Edit Jun 18(82835), Follow up sent Jul 20,

                Hi David,

                I hope we didn’t scare you off.  Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Bob back on June 18th.  Please refer to message number 82835 at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/messages

                Are you planning to continue with the OR?  We are here to help so please don't hesitate to ask if there is something we can assist you with so you can complete your Owner Review?

                Editors Team Director