Edit/Approval - MSR Carbon Core stakes - Joe Schaffer

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2014

      Joe,

      Excellent review. I too marvel at the lengths manufacturers will go to in order to save us hikers a fraction of an ounce. A few edits, in the standard EDIT/Edit/Comment format below. After revising you may upload to http://tinyurl.com/9b7gtwh

      Happy Easter, Richard

      ###HOME:  Haywarauthord, California USA###
      EDIT: Hayward

      ###Purchased: October, 2013###

      Edit: You could delete the comma.

      ###Peg shaft is a tube of graphite-gray 7000 series aluminum about 1/4" (6 mm) OD encasing a carbon core. ###
      EDIT: Here and elsewhere, change “OD” to “outside diameter,” or define it the first time you use it – “outside diameter (OD).”

      ###How do I justify spending 5 times as much to save about 1/2 the weight, which in this case amounts to about USD $24 more to save 1.6 oz (45 g) on 4 pegs I typically carry for a summer hike? ###
      Edit: Style matter so up to you, but I find it easier to read if single-digit numbers and fractions in text are spelled out – five times, half the weight, four tent pegs.

      Comment: The answer to your question is slick marketing. And MSR is a piker compared to a manufacturer whose new down jacket I just tested - $75 more for less than one ounce of weight saving.

    • Mike Cotton
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2014

        Please set your settings to not reply to all – I keep getting emails meant for other folks.

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21, 2014
          Hello Mike,
          You might wish to check your message delivery settings if you are receiving individual emails that are sent to the group. Over on the right side of the page, under the banner, is a link called "Membership".  If you click on that, and then on "Edit Membership" at the bottom of the menu that pops out, a page will open with various membership details.  Under "Subscription", it will tell you what message delivery option you have set, and by clicking on the little pencil you can change it to something else, ranging from every email to no emails.
          Hope that helps,
          Andrea

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 21, 2014

            Have to claim stupidity on this one – I have gone to both Yahoo groups and backpasktest.org and cannot locate what you are referring to.