Edit: Thorlo LTH socks - Shawn Mansfield

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2014

      Shawn, Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org, and thanks for your Owner Review. I’ll be your editor. This is a good start at a first OR, and I look forward to working with you to get it ready for posting.

      My edits below are in standard BGT format:

      EDIT (all caps) – required change

      Edit (initial cap) – suggested change or request for clarification

      Comment – just that, no change required

      After revising you need to do two things. Post the html version of the Report in the Tests/Owner Reviews folder on BackpackGearTest.org, and post the plain text version here, with "Repost," the product name, and your name in the subject line, and with a tinyurl link to the html version in the body of your message.

      Cheers, Richard Lyon

      BGT Editor

      ___________________________

      ###Manufacturer: Thorlo, Inc.###
      EDIT: THORLO, Inc. [Here you must use the full name of the manufacturer exactly as the manufacturer does. As Thorlo does not use all caps in the text, it’s OK for you to use “Thorlo” elsewhere.]

      ###Size: Men's 9 - 12.5

      Other Sizes Available: Men's 5.5 - 8.5, and Men's 13 – 15###
      EDIT: Add a sentence here to the effect that Thorlo sells by US shoe size. This is unusual and worth a note.

      ###IMAGE 1

      Manufacturer's image###
      Edit: BGT discourages use of manufacturer’s photos in Owner Reviews. This is OK but be aware that you should be using your own photographs, especially in ORs.

      ###The socks are similar to others made by Thorlo but are made specifically for warm or hot climates as the sock incorporates a large percentage of COOLMAX fibers. COOLMAX is a polyester material that has an oblong cross-section (vs. typical cylindrical cross-section) and has channels along the fiber that uses capillary action to pull moisture away from the skin. The removal of moisture effectively pulls away heat and cools down the surface of the skin (aided by evaporative cooling).

      The socks provide high-performance comfort and support by adding moderate cushioning in the heels and balls of the feet and low cushioning in the instep. The cushioning is a combination of THORLON and cotton. THORLON is a specially designed yarn that does not compress in moist environments (vs. cotton) and continues to provide cushioning. Spandex and stretch nylon provides a snug fit in arch, heel, and calf region. THORLON also helps provide durability. ###
      EDIT: Much of this is Thorlo’s description, not your own observations. Revise to make clear what is yours and what is Thorlo’s.

      ### The socks appear to be made up of several panels which I assume is different ratios of the fibers used make up the sock. ###
      EDIT: which I assume use different ratios

      ###The color is the same as the instep but lighter than the darker panels.###
      EDIT: Which darker panels? Revise to indicate what you’re comparing.

      ###I've used these socks for about two years in all my hiking, backpacking, and camping trips. ###
      EDIT: Have you used only one pair? If so, please say so.

      ###The trips are a combination of 1 to 2 day camping trips along with day hikes. I used them hiking on flat to moderately hilly trails, from 500 - 900 ft (152 - 274 m). ###

      Edit: Your Imperial measurements are approximate, so you should round off the metric too. (150 – 275 m)

      ### Weather: Mostly sunny, mild winds (especially calm below treeline)###
      EDIT: I think you mean “essentially calm”

      ###I purchased the hiking socks to wear in mid-calf height hiking books, ###
      EDIT: hiking boots

      EDIT: Are they really “mid-calf?” That would be quite a boot. I think you mean “mid-ankle.”

      ###The sock seemed ideal, but the price point is outside my typical range. ###
      EDIT: This sock seemed ideal

      ###The socks have greatly exceeded my expectations and, after 2 years, are still going strong. ###
      Edit: When you use single-digit numbers in text, it’s easier to read when they are written out – after two years.

      ###Even after multiple washings (~1/week for 2 years), the socks maintain their color, size, and fit. ###
      EDIT: Add a sentence or two describing how you wash and dry the socks.

      ### 1. Expensive (even though I've purchased another one)###
      Edit: purchased another pair

      ### The Thorlo LTH Light Hiking Sock is cool, comfortable, and very durable.###
      EDIT: “durable” is rather general. Add some detail about worn spots, pilling, loss of stretch, or other deterioration. If you haven’t noticed any, say so.

    • Mike C