OR: ULA Ohm 2.0 pack - Kurt Papke

  • Kurt Papke
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2014
      Haven't written an OR in a while, so here we go:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Ohm%202.0%20-%20Kurt/

      or: http://tinyurl.com/kn692vh

      Text follows:

      ULA EQUIPMENT Ohm 2.0 Backpack

      Owner Review by Kurt Papke
      January 20, 2014

      Tester Information

      Name: Kurt Papke
      Age: 60
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
      Weight: 220 lbs (100 kg)
      Email address: kwpapke at gmail dot com
      City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona USA

      My backpacking venues have included a combination of Minnesota hikes
      where I have lived most of my adult life, and Arizona trails where I
      moved to take a new job about four years ago. I have always been a
      "comfort-weight" backpacker, never counting grams, but still keeping
      my pack as light as easily attained. Since moving to Arizona, I am
      doing more weekend backpacks where I can use a smaller, lighter-weight
      pack.
      ________________________________

      Product Information

      Photo courtesy ULA EQUIPMENT

      Manufacturer
      Ultralight Adventure Equipment (ULA)
      Model
      Ohm 2.0
      Year of manufacture
      2013
      MSRP
      US $200
      Manufacturer website
      http://www.ula-equipment.com/
      Color
      Green (original)
      Also available: Multicam camo, Purple Blaze, Woodland camo
      Weights
      Listed: 29 oz (822 g) for medium torso length and hipbelt
      Measured weight: 10.8 oz (306 g) for XL torso and L hipbelt
      Size purchased
      XL torso, L hipbelt
      Also available: Small, Medium, Large torso
      X-small, small, medium, X-large hipbelt
      Fabric
      1.9 oz ripstop nylon

      The Ohm 2.0 is the second generation of the manufacturer's Ohm series.
      It uses the same hipbelt and shoulder straps as ULA's larger packs
      which gives it better comfort and load-bearing capacity.
      Manufacturer's listed features include:

      1.2 oz carbon fiber/delrin active suspension hoop
      Near full body compression using non-stretch cordage
      Internal pad holster plus lightweight removable back foam pad
      Padded hipbelt with pockets
      Contoured shoulder straps with hooks and elastic water bottle holders
      Front mesh pocket
      Ripstop side pockets with elastic top
      Top compression straps
      Ice axe or trekking pole retention loops including hook-and-loop top loops
      Drawstring extension collar
      Removable hydration sleeve - holds approximately 2L
      Removable internal mesh pocket for wallet, keys, etc.
      Removable hand loops

      Checking It Out

      I purchased the Ohm 2.0 backpack in July 2013 because I found I was
      doing more weekend backpacking and less long distance/time hikes since
      I moved to Arizona from Minnesota. I wanted to lighten my load, and
      move some weight from my back to the front. I have had a number of
      packs with hipbelt pockets, but most of them have been disappointing
      in size and carrying capability. The shoulder strap bottle holsters
      also intrigued me. Though I wanted a lighter pack, I also knew that I
      often had to carry large volumes of water in the Arizona desert, and I
      needed gear that would allow me to carry a minimum of a 24-hour water
      supply (about 5-6 L).

      As soon as I strapped on the pack the quality and comfort of the
      hipbelt caught my attention:

      Note in the photo above the double buckles, wide hipbelt, and generous
      hipbelt pockets. The hipbelt adjusted very nicely, and the webbing
      loop between the double buckles gives the user 2x mechanical leverage
      in cranking down the tension. The padding is good enough that I could
      tighten it down considerably and still be comfortable.

      I normally carry two 1L Gatorade bottles of water. These bottles are
      short and squatty, and I've had difficulty fitting them into side
      pockets on a pack. As can be seen in the photo at left, I can fit a
      bottle of water, map and a headlamp (that's the strap on the right
      side of the pocket) in one of the pockets and still have room to
      spare. I quickly determined I could reach back and grab a water
      bottle from a pocket and return it with no hassles.

      The hipbelt pockets are pretty good-sized, though in truth I wish they
      were just a little bit bigger. In the photo at right I have a protein
      bar, bag of nuts, and an orange in the pocket and it is only
      half-full. I normally carry my camera and mini-tripod in the other
      pocket. What I haven't figured out where to carry in this pack yet is
      my GPS - it doesn't quite fit into the hipbelt pockets with all the
      other stuff I need to carry, and it doesn't attach very well to the
      shoulder strap bottle holsters.

      The front pocket doesn't look big at first, but it can stretch
      substantially to hold a lot of gear. ULA does warn the user that the
      stretch fabric is not particularly tough, so some caution with a rip
      or tear is in order. In the photo at left taken on an overnight it
      was holding my water filter, toiletry bag, potty trowel (in orange),
      and a large bag containing my Kindle and other items I access at
      night. I often stuff a jacket or pullover in the front pocket after I
      get too warm to wear it.

      Test Conditions

      Date
      Location
      Trail
      Distance

      Terrain/ trail type
      Weather
      Altitude range
      July 26-28, 2013
      Huachuca Mtns near Sierra Vista, Arizona Crest Trail
      11.5 mi
      (18.5 km) Sky island canyons and ridgelines Sunny/rain mix, 55-80 F
      (13-27 C) 6600-9000 ft
      (2010-2740 m)
      August 10-11, 2013 Santa Catalina Mtns, near Tucson, Arizona Romero Canyon
      12 mi
      (19 km) Sky island canyon Sunny, hot, 59-102 F
      (15-39 C) 2600-5100 ft
      (790-1550 m)
      September 21-22, 2013 Santa Catalina Mtns, near Tucson, Arizona Romero
      Canyon 10.5 mi
      (17 km) Sky island canyon Overnight showers, 60-85 F
      (16-29 C) 2600-4770 ft
      (790-1450 m)
      November 16-17, 2013 Santa Catalina Mtns, near Tucson, Arizona Samaniego Ridge
      7.5 mi
      (12 km) Sky island ridgeline Sunny, cool, 33-46 F
      (1-8 C), very windy 7400-9000 ft
      (2260-2740 m)
      Dec 28-29, 2013 Santa Catalina Mtns, near Tucson, Arizona Sycamore Canyon
      10 mi
      (16 km) Mountain canyons Sunny, 24-60 F
      (-4-15 C) 3800-5000 ft
      (1160-1520 m)
      January 11-12, 2014 Santa Catalina Mtns, near Tucson, Arizona Romero Canyon
      11.2 mi
      (18 km) Mountain canyons Sunny, 30-70 F
      (-1-21 C) 2600-5200 ft
      (790-1580 m)
      January 19-20, 2014 Santa Catalina Mtns, near Tucson, Arizona Sutherland Trail
      15 mi
      (24 km) Mountain foothills, Jeep trail, and steep mountain ascent Hazy, 40-65 F
      (4-18 C) 2600-6600 ft
      (790-2010 m)

      My backpacking trends are obvious in the above list: six of the seven
      trips are in the Santa Catalina Mountains, with three trips to Romero
      Canyon alone. The rationale is pretty simple: I can see the mountains
      from my backyard. The trailhead for Romero and Sutherland is a
      ten-minute drive from my house. I'd rather backpack than drive, and
      when you have such great hiking so close to home it can be difficult
      for me to rationalize spending hours in the car.

      Romero Canyon

      The photo at left was taken in August, a time when the weather can be
      pretty toasty in Tucson, so I like to gain some altitude.

      Notable from this picture are the (empty) water bottles in the
      standard shoulder holster configuration. These are 24 oz (700 mL)
      bottles, tall and slender as recommended by the manufacturer. The
      elastic straps do not hold the bottles very well - every time I took
      my pack off or put it on, I invariably had a bottle fall out. I
      continued to use this configuration for several months and tuning the
      connections, but to no avail.

      This pack does not have any padding or ventilation channels on the
      outside back. My back rubs right up against the nylon. I was a bit
      concerned when I bought the pack that it may not breathe well, and my
      back would get sweaty, but these fears turned out to be unfounded.
      There is enough curvature in the back that it never felt
      uncomfortable.

      Sycamore Canyon

      By December I was getting used to the Ohm pack. This picture was
      taken along the Arizona National Scenic Trail. The water bottles do
      not always hang evenly from the shoulder strap holsters, particularly
      if one is significantly more full than the other.

      Sutherland Trail

      The first day of the trip was tough: a fair amount of mileage, lots of
      altitude gain/loss, and lugging way too much water. It was my first
      backpack on this trail and I didn't know if I was going to be able to
      find water or not. Day two was an easy walk out, and I stopped for a
      break to take some pictures of the backpack in the early dawn light:

      In the left picture, the profile, my tent stake bag is visible clipped
      to the compression strings. This keeps them accessible and out of the
      way. The back shot shows that the pack was nowhere near full, a good
      sign for an overnight hike. The extension collar was completely
      rolled up and strapped down.

      Given the difficulty of the hike, I was glad to have a light pack.
      When I carry a pack up and down a mountain, I don't want to be
      carrying dead weight.

      Water Bottle Holsters: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

      From my first trip with the pack I had troubles with the water bottles
      falling out of the holsters. No matter how tightly I cinched them
      down, every time I took off my pack or put it on I invariably had a
      bottle fall out.

      The solution I have been using recently is shown in the following picture:

      The bottle at right shows the standard configuration, with the cable
      lock attempting to capture the bottle neck with the elastic cord. The
      problem seems to be that the cord can always stretch a little bit
      farther if stressed.

      At left is my solution which worked perfectly on my last trip. I
      wrapped a sturdy rubber band three times around the bottle neck, and
      attached the outer wrap of the bad to the D-ring on the shoulder strap
      with an S-hook carabiner. Since the S-hook only stretches the outer
      wrap of the three, the inner two wraps hold the bottle securely. This
      might not be an elegant solution, and the rubber bands might
      eventually give out, but it only cost me a few dollars.

      I really wanted to make this work because I have come to really like
      carrying water on my shoulder straps: access is incredibly convenient,
      I can see how much water I have left at all times, and it helps
      distribute the weight between front and back giving me a more forward
      center of gravity when hiking.

      Summary

      Good Things

      Lightweight - no frills
      Holds a surprising amount of gear
      Great pockets: side, front and hipbelt
      Carries well, even when loaded with water bottles

      Areas for potential improvement

      Needs a more reliable water bottle holster - my bottles kept falling out
    • kwpapke
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 22, 2014
        Haven't written one of these in a long time....

        File: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20ULA%20Ohm%202.0%20pack%20-%20Kurt%20Papke/

        or: http://tinyurl.com/ledh8md

        Text:

        ULA EQUIPMENT Ohm 2.0 Backpack

        Owner Review by Kurt Papke
        January 20, 2014

        Tester Information

        Name: Kurt Papke
        Age: 60
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
        Weight: 220 lbs (100 kg)
        Email address: kwpapke at gmail dot com
        City, State, Country:Tucson, Arizona USA

        My backpacking venues have included a combination of Minnesota hikes where I have lived most of my adult life, and Arizona trails where I moved to take a new job about four years ago.  I have always been a "comfort-weight" backpacker, never counting grams, but still keeping my pack as light as easily attained.  Since moving to Arizona, I am doing more weekend backpacks where I can use a smaller, lighter-weight pack.

        Product Information

        Ohm 2.0 manufacturers photo
        Photo courtesy ULA EQUIPMENT

        Manufacturer
        Ultralight Adventure Equipment (ULA)
        Model
        Ohm 2.0
        Year of manufacture
        2013
        MSRP
        US $200
        Manufacturer website
        http://www.ula-equipment.com/
        Color
        Green (original)
        Also available: Multicam camo, Purple Blaze, Woodland camo
        Weights
        Listed: 29 oz (822 g) for medium torso length and hipbelt
        Measured weight:  31.5 oz (893 g) for XL torso and L hipbelt*
        Size purchased
        XL torso, L hipbelt
        Also available: Small, Medium, Large torso
        X-small, small, medium, X-large hipbelt
        Fabric
        1.9 oz ripstop nylon

        *Note: measured weight is without the handloops, which are rated at 0.8 oz.  I don't use them, and so managed to store them in some spot where I could not find them.  Nonetheless, given the difference in torso and hipbelt size my measured weight is very comparable to that provided by ULA.

[...]

        Hipbelt

        Note in the photo above the double buckles, wide hipbelt, and generous hipbelt pockets.  The hipbelt adjusted very nicely, and the webbing loop between the double buckles gives the user 2x mechanical leverage in cranking down the tension.  The padding is good enough that I could tighten it down considerably and still be comfortable.

        Side pocketsI normally carry two 1L Gatorade bottles of water.  These bottles are short and squatty, and I've had difficulty fitting them into side pockets on a pack.  As can be seen in the photo at left, I can fit a bottle of water, map and a headlamp (that's the strap on the right side of the pocket) in one of the pockets and still have room to spare.  I quickly determined I could reach back and grab a water bottle from a pocket and return it with no hassles.

        Hipbelt pocketsThe hipbelt pockets are pretty good-sized, though in truth I wish they were just a little bit bigger.  In the photo at right I have a protein bar, bag of nuts, and an orange in the pocket and it is only half-full.  I normally carry my camera and mini-tripod in the other pocket.  What I haven't figured out where to carry in this pack yet is my GPS - it doesn't quite fit into the hipbelt pockets with all the other stuff I need to carry, and it doesn't attach very well to the shoulder strap bottle holsters.

        Front pocketThe front pocket doesn't look big at first, but it can stretch substantially to hold a lot of gear.  ULA does warn the user that the stretch fabric is not particularly tough, so some caution with a rip or tear is in order.  In the photo at left taken on an overnight it was holding my water filter, toiletry bag, potty trowel (in orange), and a large bag containing my Kindle and other items I access at night.  I often stuff a jacket or pullover in the front pocket after I get too warm to wear it.

[...]

        Romero Canyon in August

[...]

        Suterhland Trail

        In the left picture, the profile, my tent stake bag is visible clipped to the compression strings.  This keeps them accessible and out of the way.  The back shot shows that the pack was nowhere near full, a good sign for an overnight hike.  The extension collar was completely rolled up and strapped down.

        Given the difficulty of the hike, I was glad to have a light pack.  When I carry a pack up and down a mountain, I don't want to be carrying dead weight.

        Water Bottle Holsters: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

        From my first trip with the pack I had troubles with the water bottles falling out of the holsters.  No matter how tightly I cinched them down, every time I took off my pack or put it on I invariably had a bottle fall out.

        The solution I have been using recently is shown in the following picture:
        Holsters

[...]

      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2014

          Thank you for answering the Monthly Call.  Your review has been added to the Edit Queue.  You will be hearing from one of our Editors very soon.

          Editors Team Director

        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 27, 2014

            Hi Kurt,

            Well we have dangerous wind chills here today, hitting -60 F, so I really liked your pictures.  Ah, the desert.

            Nice job on the pack review. I have just a couple edits for you, after which you may place the corrected review at:

            Reviews > Packs > Internal and External Framed Backpacks > ULA Equipment Ohm 2.0 Backpack

            See you down the trail,

            Ray

            Manufacturer: Ultralight Adventure Equipment (ULA)

            EDIT: Ultra Light Adventure Equipment (ULA)

            ***I'd rather backpack than drive, and when you have such great hiking so close to home

            Edit: when “I” have

            ***The water bottles do not always hang evenly from the shoulder strap holsters, particularly if one is significantly more full than the other.

            Edit: particularly if one is significantly “fuller” than the other.

            ***I wrapped a sturdy rubber band three times around the bottle neck, and attached the outer wrap of the bad to the D-ring on the shoulder strap

            EDIT: the outer wrap of the “band”

          • rayestrella1