OR - Primus Folding Spork - Andrea Murland

  • ringrat55
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2014
      Another small item for an editor to have a look at.
      Cheers,
      Andrea

      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/ouzpmtw

      Text:

      Primus Folding Spork

      Owner Review by Andrea Murland

      January 10, 2014

      Tester Information:

      Name: Andrea Murland

      Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca

      Age: 28

      Location: Elkford & Kimberley, British Columbia, Canada

      Gender: Female

      Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)

      Weight: 130 lb (59 kg)

      I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent two months backpacking in the Alps.  I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2 to 3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them.  I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don’t have a lot of experience with winter in the backcountry yet.  Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges.  I try for a light pack, but I don’t consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Primus

      Manufacturer’s URL: www.primuscamping.com

      Model: Folding Spork

      Year of Manufacture: 2010

      MSRP: US $3.00

      Colours Available: White, Black, Red, Green

      Colour Reviewed: White

      Listed Weight: 10.5 g (0.34 oz)

      Measured Weight: 12 g (0.39 oz)

      Listed Dimensions: 4.1 in (10.4 cm) x 1.6 in (4.1 cm) x 0.9 in (2.3 cm)

      Measured Dimensions: folded: 4.0 in (10.2 cm) x 1.8 in (4.5 cm) x 0.9 in (2.3 cm), unfolded: 7.4 in (18.7 cm) x 1.8 in (4.5 cm) x 0.5 in (1.4 cm)

      Description

      The Primus Folding Spork is a fork/knife/spoon utensil made from polycarbonate.  The utensil folds in half, with the fork nesting into the spoon, for packing.  As I unfold it, a small tab on the fork side of the hinge snaps into a slot on the spoon side.  A bit of force in the opposite direction undoes the connection, allowing the spork to be refolded.  The spoon is quite large, measuring 1.8 in (4.5 cm) across.  The fork has four tines, with one serrated edge.  The Primus logo is moulded into the plastic just below the curve of both the fork and the spoon.  The handle section has three cut-outs, which I can only assume are for weight reduction.  The surface of the spork is smooth.

      Field Conditions:

      I got the spork in 2010, and it has been used for some backpacking trips since then, as well as being carried a lot.  It has a permanent home in my Search & Rescue pack (never know when I’ll need a spoon!), and since that pack doubles as my summer overnight pack, the spork is what I usually carry for overnights as well.  I have used it about 20 times in the backcountry, either for dinner or for lunch.  The spork has been used in temperatures ranging from about -20 C (-4 F) to about 25 C (77 F).

      Review:

      I quite like the Primus Folding Spork.  I find the handle comfortable and long enough that the utensil I’m not using isn’t in my way.  I usually just lick off the spork, but it has proved to be easy to clean.  Sometimes I get some food stuck in the handle cutouts, but it’s never been enough to affect the folding mechanism, and it’s always been easy to wash off either in the field or once at home.  I like that it folds down nice and small, so I can shove it in the top pocket of my pack and it stays out the way.

      I haven’t used the knife very much, since I carry a multi-tool when I hike.  It’s been used once or twice to cut cheese and it worked, but it wouldn’t be my first choice of knife.  The fork works fine, as the tines are pointed at the end, so they spear food quite well.  The fork is narrow enough that I haven’t found that the serrated edge rubs my mouth.  The spoon is what I use most often.  It’s large, which is nice when I’m eating soup (which I often bring on winter day trips).  If I’m eating something more solid, like oatmeal or pasta, I actually make a point of not filling the spoon completely, as it’s a bit of a stretch to get it fully in my mouth, and then I have a very large mouthful.

      I’ve used the spoon to stir dinners as they cook, and that’s worked fine.  There is no evidence of burning or melting of the tip.  The bottom of the spoon has a couple of scratch marks, probably from the spork spending most of its time floating around loose in my pack.  I worried initially when I got this spork that the tab that locks the spork in the unfolded position would break, but there’s been no evidence of that.  It seems quite sturdy.

      Summary

      The Primus Folding Spork is a great utensil for carrying “just in case”.  It is also great as the only utensil on a backpacking trip.  It works exactly as it’s supposed to.

      Thumbs Up:

      Big spoon

      Compact when folded for storage

      Locks open for use

      Comfortable to hold

      Thumbs Down:

      Knife has limited function

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2014

        Thanks for your Owner's Review. It has been added to the Owner Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get your first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)Hotmail.com

        You may also receive edits or comments from other members of the group. These edits and comments, while not official, should be considered carefully, and if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your review. Please put REVISED in the subject line of your re-submitted review if you take this route or make any changes to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit Moderator.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list once a week.

        Editors Team Director

      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 18, 2014

          Hello Andrea,

          Thanks for another fine review. I only have one kinda edit for you. You may place the review at:

          Reviews > Cook Gear > Utensils > Primus Folding Spork

          See you down the trail,

          Ray

          ***The fork has four tines, with one serrated edge.

          Edit: for clarity (and to be more accurate) maybe; The fork has four tines, with one of the outside tines having a serrated edge

        • ringrat55
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 18, 2014
            Thanks Ray!  All done.

            See ya on the next one.