OR - Merrell Chameleon Mid Boots - John Waters

  • BySky Admin
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2013

      Dear Editors,

      Below is my first OR in a long time, so be prepared.  The HTML is in http://tinyurl.com/l4rspn4.  Thanks,

      John

      MERRELL MEN'S CHAMELEON 5 MID BOOTS

      BY JOHN R. WATERS

      OR

      November 22, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: John R. Waters

      EMAIL: jrw at backpackgeartest dot org

      AGE: 64

      LOCATION: Canon City, CO USA

      GENDER: M

      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)

      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)

      My backpacking began in 1999.  I have hiked rainforests in Hawaii, Costa Rica, and Puerto Rico, glaciers in New Zealand and Iceland, 14ers in Colorado and Death Valley's deserts.

      I hike or snowshoe 6-8 miles (10 km-13 km) 2-3 times weekly in the Cooper Mountain range, with other day-long hikes on various other southwest and central Colorado trails.  I frequently hike the mountains and deserts of Utah and Arizona as well.

      My daypack is 18 lb (8 kg); overnights' weigh over 25 lb (11 kg).  I'm aiming to reduce my weight load by 40% or more.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Merrell, a division of Wolverine World Wide, Inc.

      Year of Manufacture: 2013

      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.merrell.com

      MSRP: US $160.00

      Listed Weight: 2 lb 11 oz (1.2 g) per pair

      Measured Weight: 2 lb 10  oz (1.2 g), per pair, based on size US 10.5/UK 10

      Sizes Available:  US 7-14/UK 6.5-13.5

      Size Reviewed:  US 10.5/UK 10

      Widths Available/Reviewed:  Medium

      Color Available/Reviewed:  Black/Slate

      Other details:

      UPPER/LINING • Strobel construction

      • Pig suede leather and mesh upper

      • Bellows tongue keeps debris out

      • External heel stability arm

      • Lining treated with Aegis®

      • Metal hook and lacing eyelet for secure lacing

      MIDSOLE/OUTSOLE

      • 2mm Flexible plate in the forefoot protects the foot from stone bruises

      • Grade 6 nylon insole for backpacking with a medium pack

      • 2mm EVA insole for comfort and shock absorption

      • Compression Molded EVA footframe provides cushioning

      • 5mm sole lug depth

      • Vibram® Chameleon 5 Sole / TC5+Rubber

      FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE

      I received these boots back in April when there was still snow on the ground and as I write this report, I've worn them through spring, summer and now into fall and it's snowing again  In these past almost seven months, I estimate I have worn the boots over 75 days and have put well-over 150 miles (240 km) on them.

      I have worn the Merrell Chameleons on long, strenuous hikes, overnights, while working around the house, working on my microwave towers, doing business and, of course, around the house.

      In the seven months I've had them; I've been backpacking and hiking in Colorado and Utah.  Most of my outings were in the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) properties behind our ranch (over 400 square miles (1000 square km) of mountain terrain) and in the Wet Mountains near Westcliffe, Colorado.  Altitude in these areas reaches to over 11,000 ft. (3353 m).  I also wore the Chameleons snowshoeing in the Tenmile Range near Breckenridge where the elevation averages over 11,000 ft (3400 m).

      Except when it was covered with snow, the terrain was almost always high desert rocky semi-groomed trails, pebble scree, or boulders.  The uneven ground consisted of everything from small shale shards to slabs of granite with very little packed dirt.  When the trails weren't hard rock, they were the powdery, dusty, slippery consistency of our expansive soil (soil that expands when wet).

      Winter temperatures dipped as low as 22 F (-6 C) during some of our snowshoe treks, but it was an extremely hot summer with most days over 90 F (32 C) and many over 100 F (38 C).  At all times though I still wore mid-calf medium-weight synthetic or wool socks with the Chameleon boots.

      My backpack weight for day hikes averaged 15 lb (7 kg) and for overnights, about 25 lb (11 kg)

      1. Can I go down a 40 degree or steeper incline with rocks covered in dry dust without breaking my neck by sliding on a rock? The dry dusty soil creates a real slippery surface on rocks. Real easy to break a leg or sprain an ankle.

      <em>In my Merrells I feel secure going down a steep hill. I have noticed that these appear to run a tad small because in my 10.5 US size, my toes do hit the front of the toe box on steep downhill slopes. I have not experienced any slipping on rocks that would cause me worry and the soles handle ice and slush just fine with a very aggressive tread.</em>

      2. Do I ever feel like I am in danger of twisting an ankle? Low trail shoes do not have as much ankle supports as mid-height boots, but certain designs stop the foot from lateral movement and break-aways.

      <em>The Merrells, being a mid with a solid shell, offer great secure support. In fact, they are a tight fit with little slop around my ankle, gripping firmly around my leg and not allowing dangerous twisting.</em>

      3. Do the shoes make my feet feel sore, like I can't wait to take them off?

      <em>They are quite comfortable and I have had no problems with blisters or rubbing. These are not very flexible, so I'm not going to wear them around the house to relax in, but while on the trail hiking or snowshoeing or working, they don't remind me they are on my feet.</em>

      4. Do my feet stink or sweat a lot?

      <em>I have not had any problems with sweating or stinking. </em>

      5. Do the shoes hold up well after miles/kilometers of rough use?

      <em>They have held up very well. After almost 100  miles of wear (161 km) there is no sign of the Vibram soles pitting and the upper body has no fraying or delamination anywhere.</em>

      6. If they are advertised as waterproof or water resistant, do they meet the claim?

      <em>I've had these out in snow and rain and my feet have not gotten wet. Even when snowshoeing with my boots covered in snow for long distances, no water entered the interior and my feet were dry. That is not the case with other "waterproof" boots I have tested. The Merrells performed very well. Of course, no boot will keep water out that enters from the top and I did get a little snow into the top of one boot while snowshoeing. However, the boot vented well and my foot was still comfortable and dried within 30 minutes. The tops can be tied tightly and the sides are quite tight against my legs, so even with a pile of snow on the very top, if brushed off quickly, very little will get down into the boot.</em>

      THINGS I LIKE

      1.)  The Chameleons fit my feet well with no break-in period required.

      2.)  With the mid-height and supportive arch, the Chameleons offer me excellent stability.

      3.)  Vibram outsoles give me good grip on all surfaces.

      4.)  I really like the Cameleon lacing system.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      1.) Try as I might, I can't think of anything I would change about these boots.

      SUMMARY

      I've worn the Merrell Chameleons through three seasons now; from snowshoeing on mountain trails on through to backpacking in the torrid desert heat.  I've found them to be great footwear in all of those conditions.  They keep my feet comfortable, dry and bruise-free, no matter the weather or the terrain and have stood up to all the abuse I've dished out.  I feel totally secure in the Chameleons ability to protect my feet and to keep my sure-footed on any surface.  They are wearing well, if at all, and I expect to be wearing them for a long while.  Bring on winter snow.

      Thanks you to Merrell for making such a great product for me to wear.

      <em>John R. Waters</em>

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2013

        Thanks for your Owner's Review. It has been added to the Owner Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get your first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)Hotmail.com

        You may also receive edits or comments from other members of the group. These edits and comments, while not official, should be considered carefully, and if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your review. Please put REVISED in the subject line of your re-submitted review if you take this route or make any changes to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit Moderator.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list once a week.

        Editors Team Director

      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2013

          Hi John,

          Thanks for the review. It sounds like you like these a lot. I have always liked their footwear too. I do have a few edits, one making a repost necessary. Take a look at I will watch for a re-write.

          Ray

          ***MERRELL MEN'S CHAMELEON 5 MID BOOTS

          EDIT: according to the website these are called Chameleon 5 Mid Ventilator

          ***LOCATION:

          Canon City, CO USA

          EDIT: need to spell out the state

          EDIT: You credit the manufacturer for the picture but they do not have that photo that I can find. It comes from Zappos: http://www.zappos.com/merrell-chameleon-5-mid-ventilator-wtpf
          and has been ripped from them for use on eBay posts too. Please use the manufacturer’s photo or one of your own.

          EDIT: John, I don’t see a product description. All I see is a direct cut and paste of the website bullet points. We can’t do that. Could you please do a description section and put it in your own words?

          ***I received these boots back in April when there was still snow on the ground and as I write this report, I've worn them through spring, summer and now into fall and it's snowing again In these past almost seven months,

          EDIT: need a period after “again”

          ***Most of my outings were in the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) properties behind our ranch (over 400 square miles (1000 square km) of mountain terrain) and in the Wet Mountains near Westcliffe, Colorado.

          EDIT: can’t put parenthesis inside of a parentheses. Use brackets or 400 square miles/1000 square km

          ***. After almost 100 miles of wear (161 km) there is no sign of the Vibram soles pitting and the upper body has no fraying or delamination anywhere.

          Edit: earlier in the review you said you have over 150 miles on them

          ***I feel totally secure in the Chameleons ability to protect my feet

          EDIT: Chameleon’s

          ***and to keep my sure-footed on any surface.

          EDIT: to keep “me”