Owner Review - Salomon XA PRO 3D Ultra Boot

  • Scott Beckman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2013

      SALOMON XA PRO 3D ULTRA BOOT
      BY SCOTT BECKMAN
      September 15, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Scott Beckman
      EMAIL: beckmanscott@...
      AGE: 50
      LOCATION: Dallas (Plano)
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 210 lb (95.30 kg)

      I got interested in Hiking and Backpacking as a Boy Scout.  I enjoy it even more since I've become a Scout Leader.  Recently, I attended Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico and logged at least 69 miles in 10 days.  Most trips are weekend trips to the Ouchatia Mountains in Oklahoma and Arkansas.  We also do quite a bit of hiking/camping in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Salomon
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<http://www.salomon.com/>
      Measured Weight: 1 lb 15 oz (.88 kg)
      Other details:
       Size - 10

      FIELD USE

      I bought these boots while getting ready for a trip to Philmont Scout Ranch.  I was very impressed with the fit that boots provided me.  I'm usually pretty easy to fit footwise, but these have been very comfortable and required very little break-in.  I've worn these for every outdoor hiking, backpacking adventure since Fall of 2011 and hadn't even given them a second thought until I wrote this review.
      I wore these for 12 days at Phlimont and at least 69 miles.  The only time I developed a hint of a blister was when I wore damp socks in camp trying to dry them out.  I covered the hot spot with duct tape for a day or 2 and had no other issues.
      Another reason I bought these boots is that they are mid high as opposed to trail runners.  I wanted a bit more protection for my ankles for terrain I am unfamiliar with.  Plus, I wanted to be able to cross streams and water without being concerned about water intrusion.  Considering this, the boots are still under a pound each.  A goal I was shooting for at the time.
      Also, the laces on these boots are not traditional.  I suspect they are patterned after running shoes that are designed for triathlons.  They use a very thin lace with a single clasp to adjust tension.  I bought spare laces and keep them in my backpack in case I have a issue.  So far, I have been impressed with this system.  I thought maybe these would loosen up after a day of hiking, but they never have.  I thought maybe I would break one of the laces, but I haven't.  I suspect the laces contribute to the relative lightweight nature of the boots.
      The grip has been very good with the soles.  Also, my feet have never been wet - a testament to the Gortex liner.  Of course, the liner does affect the breathability.  This was a trade-off I was willing to make.

      SUMMARY

      I have been very pleased with these boots.  So much so, that when they wear out, I would only consider Salomon boots for replacement.
      I also like the laces on these boots.  They are very quick to lace up, but more importantly, they are lightweight and have held up over the long haul.

      THINGS I LIKE

      * Comfortable
      * Lightweight
      * Mid Height