OR - MSJ Timberline Lady Revelstoke - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12 11:02 AM

      Esteemed Editors,

      Below is the text for an OR.  (Richard, you should recognize this brand!).  The HTML with pictures is in the test folder at:  http://tinyurl.com/knf3jpf

      Looking forward to your edits and comments.  (Can you tell it is still raining here?  Figured I should finish up some of these ORs I started months ago and never finished.)

      Thank you for all your hard work!

      Kathy

      _________________________________

      Multisport Journeys

      CO Timberline Lady Revelstoke

      BY KATHLEEN WATERS

      OR

      September 17, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters

      EMAIL: kathy at backpackgeartest dot com

      AGE: 62

      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA

      GENDER: F

      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)

      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to backpack.  There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado.

      Over the past 15 years, my husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers, rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley.

      My hiking style is comfortable, aiming for lightweight.  I use a tent (rainfly if needed).  Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer:  Multisport Journeys, LLC

      Year of Manufacture: 2012

      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.multisportjourneys.com

      MSRP: US $40.00 + $2.50 surcharge for custom saying (optional):

      Listed Weight: N/A

      Measured Weight: 10.5 oz (298 g)

      Sizes Available:  XS - 2XXL

      Size Reviewed:  Medium

      Colors Available:  Periwinkle/Peri, Canyon Moss/Sage, Harvest/Chestnut, Charcoal/Black

      Color Reviewed:  Periwinkle/Peri

      Other details:

      *  255 gram fabric weight

      *  100% Polyester

      *  Full zip micro fleece

      *  Color blocked design - lasering matches color block

      *  "We literally burn the fuzz off of a fleece without burning through it to reveal  sports designs.".

      *  Made in China

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Timberline Lady Revelstoke is a lightweight fleece full-zippered mid-layer.  The front zipper (as well as the pocket zippers) is nylon with a metal slider and a plastic encased pull.  A stand-up collar tops the fleece and can be zipped up right to the top.

      The fleece body is constructed with a front and back yoke and a traditional shoulder seam.  There are contrasting colored side panels and contrasting "wedges" at the cuffs which are self-hemmed with a double stitch seam.  The fleece is not lined, but all seams are overstitch to prevent fraying.

      A drawstring cord with a plastic push-lock mechanism on the left side is integrated with the hem of the fleece so as to allow  a closer fit to the bottom of the jacket

      Six-inch ( cm) side zippers open to reveal very large handwarmer pockets.  These pockets are so generous, I can easily fix a one-liter water bottle in them if I so choose.

      What makes the Multisport Journeys' products different from other products is their customization of their products with graphics of various sports and travel depictions.  According to their website, they have over 600 selections to choose from and it's only an additional $2.50.

      While tee shirts and other MSJ products have color-printed graphics, the fleece products such as the Revelstoke have "burned-in" products where the upper "fuzz" is burned off to form a 3-D image.  In my case, my fleece has a gal hiker with "BackpackGearTest.org" in a semi-circle under it, chest-high on my left front and a much larger version centered on the back.

      FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE

      The Multisport Journeys (MSJ) CO Timberline Lady Revelstoke is a great lightweight fleece which can be worn both casually and on the trail.  It is good-looking so I don't feel scruffy when I'm in town and it is rugged enough that I don't worry about its durability when blazing a new trail through the brush.  While I've worn the fleece a lot casually and even when relaxing indoors on cold nights, this review will focus on my outdoor pursuits.

      I've worn or packed the Revelstoke on almost every backpacks ever since last autumn.  From treks in our backyard playground of Cooper Mountains and the bordering Bureau of Land Management (BLM) property to the 11 Mile Range in Breckenridge, White River National Forest in central Colorado, the Wasatch Mountains in Utah and various other trails in Colorado's Rocky Mountains region, I've been able to enjoy comfortable backpacking and hiking in the wilderness wearing this fleece.

      Temperatures have spanned four seasons now since receiving the Revelstoke, with lows as low as 20 F (7 C)  and highs as high as 100 F (38 C).  I've worn the fleece numerous times while snowshoeing as a mid-layer as well as solo over a short-sleeved or long-sleeved wool base layer.  I've even worn the Revelstoke on a couple cold nights while sleeping.  However, mostly, I've worn it as a lightweight jacket.

      The jacket has been worn with just a wool baselayer in all but the coldest, windiest weather and I have been toasty warm. As a matter of fact, in all cases, by the time I've hiked a mile or so (1.6 km) at a 3 mph (4.8 km) pace, I'm unzipping the zipper halfway to vent.  The fleece does a good job of keeping the wind from chilling me while hiking, however, when the blowing really gets a'going and I'm relaxing around camp at night (or even during rest stops), I usually would pull on a soft-shell for more protection.  Because the Revel

      While the fleece is not waterproof, it does resist moisture and I did not get wet in a a couple of light drizzles.

      The Revelstoke is a good looking jacket with a semi-slim fit for women and it does not bunch up when wearing a backpack. And speaking about "backpacks", the fleece packs down fairly well, but still takes up quite a bit of room.  If I was not wearing the jacket, I would generally lash it to the back of my pack with compression straps.  The Revelstoke fortunately sheds wrinkles very nicely!

      The  pockets are warm but do not add bulk to the front of the jacket. I particularly like the longer length, which looks neat and adds a bit of warmth.

      So far, there has not been any pilling of the fleece due to friction from my backpack or from washing, which was done in cold water and hung to dry.

      STARRING ATTRACTIONS

      1.)  Perfect weight for early morning/late afternoon cooler temperatures.

      2.)  Great fit for layering.

      3.)  Soft against bare skin.

      4.)  Wears and washes well.

      5.)  Custom logo is fun!

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.)  Tag at neckline is very scratchy.

      2.)  Sometimes I have difficulty getting the zipper "started".

      SUMMARY

      I've had this fleece for almost a year now and I love it!  It still looks great even after many months of wear and at least 3 washings.  There is no pilling, stretching or unraveling stitches.  The jacket weight is just right for 3-season nights and great for layering when more warmth is needed.  I'm so pleased to be wearing it and representing BackpackGearTest.org when I do (hmmm, maybe I better hike faster, harder and higher when I do!)

      Thank you, so much to Multisport Journeys for the opportunity to wear this great product!  I will definitely be continuing to wear it a lot in the future!

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters

    • chcoa