FR - Adidas Terrex Shoes - Andrei Girenkov

  • agirenkov
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2013
      Hello again - thanks for the chance to test these shoes.  Please find the entire HTML report here:

      http://tinyurl.com/plutxb4

      The text is as follows:

      ADIDAS TERREX FAST X LOW
      TEST SERIES BY ANDREI GIRENKOV
      FR
      September 09, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Andrei Girenkov
      EMAIL: agirenkov[AT]yahoo[DOT]com
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: New York, New York, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for 6 years, mostly three-season weekend trips in the Adirondacks, and other parks in the Northeastern US. Additionally, I try to take at least one 5-7 day trip each summer to other destinations in Canada, Western United States and Central America. I use lightweight gear on a budget. My multi-day pack weight is around 20-25 lb (9-11 kg). I enjoy sleeping comfortably and cooking a hot meal at night.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: adidas AG
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website:  <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.adidas.com" LINK TEXT = "www.adidas.com">>
      MSRP: US $165
      Listed Weight: 15.5 oz (439 g) per shoe, size 9
      Measured Weight: 18.1 oz (515 g) per shoe, size 10
      Size Tested:  US Men's Size 10
      Color Tested:  Solid Grey/Black/Vivid Red
      Listed Features:
      - High-abrasion mesh and synthetic upper materials for breathability and durability
      - ADIPRENE+ in the forefoot maintains propulsion and efficiency
      - Waterproof and breathable GORE-TEX lining
      - Speed lacing construction for fast and snug lacing
      - TRAXION outsole with Continental Rubber for optimal grip in wet conditions
      - OrthoLite insole for breathability and comfort.

      Images courtesy of manufacturer:

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Adidas Terrex Shoes">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Adidas Terrex Shoes">>

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Sole:

      The outsole is made of hardened black rubber that is stamped "TRAXION" and "Continental."  Traxion is a brand of hard rubber outsoles made by Continental Rubber specifically made to provide the additional traction and foot protection needed by hikers.  It is covered in a rhombus shaped hardened rubber pattern meant to gain traction on rocks.  Inside the shoe is a red orthopedic insole stamped "OrthoLite."  OrthoLite bills its products as breathable, supportive, and moisture wicking.

      Upper:

      The upper is made of mesh.  It has several tags attached that state "GORE-TEX", "terrex", and "475".  Attached to the back above the heel is a loop for pulling the shoe on.  GORE-TEX is a brand of very thin breathable waterproof membrane that is used widely to waterproof outdoors sporting apparel.  It is based on the principle that the gap between molecules of GORE-TEX is wide enough to let air molecules through but to keep out water molecules.  The external surface of the lower half of the shoe is made of a synthetic material similar to rubber that is stamped "adiPRENE."  Adidas advertises that adiPRENE absorbs shock and rebounds kinetic energy with every step.  A thicker and harder piece of rubber covers the toe and the heel to offer additional protection there.

      Lacing:

      The lacing system is a bungee cord secured by a black plastic tension clip.  At the bottom of the lacing system is an elastic band labeled "lace bungee" where the tension clip can be tucked out of the way.  The laces are fed through four loops on each side, followed by an eyelet with a metal ring.  When the shoes first arrived, the tension clip was tucked into the lace bungee.  As I discovered, it's difficult to properly tighten the laces while the ends are in the bungee.  I believe the bungee is just there to keep the loose ends tucked away, but you have to pull the ends out in order to property tighten them.

      TRYING IT OUT

      The shoes fit very well.  My US Men's Size 10 fit like a  glove - perfectly true to size.  The design is a minimalist black - conservative enough to wear to the office if you're so inclined.  I've worn these shoes to work this week in order to break them in.  I've found them very comfortable, supportive, and breathable even after a full 8 hours in them.  I am also a big fan of this lacing system - just pull and go!

      TESTING STRATEGY

      My testing strategy will focus on how these shoes deal with the additional challenges posed by hiking terrains.  Specifically I will see whether the GORE-TEX insulated mesh material is able to keep out water, whether the outsole provides adequate grip and protection on rocky trails, and whether the arch support is there when my legs are weighed down with a pack.

      As this is a low cut hiking shoe, the ankle support is not there for a heavy pack.  However I am interested to find out whether this shoe can serve my weekend backpacking trips.  I normally carry a 20-22 lb (9-10 kg) pack for a weekend trip, and I am hoping that this shoe will provide sufficient support for my lightweight backpacking style.

      I am very excited to try out this wonderful piece of gear and I'd like to thank adidas and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity.

      SUMMARY

      Pros so far:
      -  Minimalist tasteful styling
      -  Accurate sizing
      -  Comfortable
      -  Breathable

      Cons so far:
      -  None

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Over the past two months, I've used the shoes for approximately 13 days of camping and hiking and as a full time shoe for several weeks.

      All the hiking I have done has been in the north east.  I spend 4 weekends hiking around the Pocono and Catskills mountains.  In each case the temperature was a moderate 60-80 F (15-26 C).  On one occasion it had just rained, and the ground was a muddy mess.  The rest of the time the ground was dry.  The ground cover was a mix of dirt trails and rock mountains that I had to scramble.  My typical weekend pack weight was around 20 lb (9 kg).

      I also took an extended beach bakpacking and camping trip.   This involved four nights of overnight camping.  It rained three out of the four days.  The trails were flat sand, with occasional scrambling up a clay bluff.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      For my beach hike, I wore these shoes without socks because of the sand and rain.  The shoes were suprisingly well-fitting and comfortable for being worn barefoot in a wet environment.

      Moisture penetration was not a problem - the GoreTex membrane kept the inside of the shoes dry.  Unfortunately sand was a big problem for me.  No mattter how hard I tightened the lace, there was a gap between the ankle and the material around it.  The top of the shoe funneled any stray sand directly inside.  Additionally I believe that by continuously tightening the lace I managed to stretched it out.  I cannot be sure if it was always this long as I did not measure the length of the lace when it first arrived, but it feels very long now, reaching all the way to the toe.  If I don't tuck the lace into the lace strap, it dangles around under the shoe.

      On the other hikes, the performance of the shoes was impeccable.  The shoes are true to size.  They fit like a glove, and provided adequate support on overnight hikes with a lightweight 20 lb (9 kg) pack.  I felt very steady scrambling up stone surfaces.  When using these low cut Adidas shoes I did not miss the higher cut of my former mid-cut hiking boots for stability and ankle support.

      After this time the shoes are none worse for wear.  They were very easy to clean - just wipe them down with a wet cloth.  The shoes are like a nonstick pan! Even during the beach hike, with all the sand getting inside over the top, the material itself doesn't appear to have let any sand through and a quick wipe kept them clean.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Front"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Front after wiping down the sand">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Back"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Back afterwiping down the sand">>

      SUMMARY

      Pros:
         - Very comfortable and stable hiking shoes, even barefoot
         - Waterproof
         - Great traction
         - Very easy to clean

      Cons:
         -  Lace stretches (or is very long to begin with)
         -  Debris can fall in over the top

      ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

      I would like to thank Adidas and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test these wonderful shoes.  Please return in two months for the long term report.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.
    • chcoa