Repost - OR Rocky Mountain Low Gaiters - Josh Breslow

  • meyahweh
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2013
      http://tinyurl.com/mnftm5k OUTDOOR
      RESEARCH ROCKY MOUNTAIN LOW GAITERS

      Owner Review by Josh
      Breslow

      Name: Josh
      Breslow

      Age: 40

      Gender: Male

      Height: 5 ft 4 in
      (1.63 m)

      Weight: 170
      Pounds (77 kg)

      Email Address:
      jbreslowsubs [at] gmail [dot] com

      City, State, Country:
      San Diego, CA, U.S

      Backpacking
      Background: I am fairly new to the backpacking world, having done it now
      for about 8 months. But I have been an avid hiker for many years. I mostly take
      weekend trips to the San Bernadino Mountains with an occasional trip to the
      desert. I am trying get my pack down to about 10-12 lbs (4.54 kg - 5.44 kg). An
      aspiring "gram weenie".

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research

      Year of Manufacture:
      2008

      Manufacturer's
      Website: www.outdoorresearch.com

      MSRP: US$22

      Listed Weight:
      4.8 oz (136 g) for L/XL size

      Measured Weight:
      3.5 oz (98 g) for S/M size

      Size: S/M, also
      available in L/XL

      Color: Black

      Fabric: 100%
      nylon

      Length: 9 in
      (22.86 cm)

      Width: 16 in
      (40.64 cm)

      The Outdoor Research Rocky
      Mountain Low gaiters are made from 100% nylon fabric. Each gaiter has the OR
      logo embroidered in gray on the outside. There is an elastic band sewn into
      each gaiter at the top and bottom to keep it snug against the ankle and the
      shoe. A 1 in X 9 in (2.54 cm X 22.86 cm) strip of hook-and-loop is used to keep
      the gaiter closed. There is also an extra flap of hook-and-loop at the top and
      at the bottom to make sure the 9 in (22.86 cm) strip doesn't start coming
      apart. At the bottom-front of the gaiter is a riveted metal hook that is used
      to hook into the shoe's laces. This keeps the gaiter pulled down snug over the
      tongue/laces of the shoe. On the left or right side (depending on how they are
      put on) is a 1 in X 8.5 in (2.54 cm X 21.59 cm) piece of leather with 20 evenly
      spaced holes running the length of it. This strap is used in conjunction with
      the buckle (similar to a waist belt) located on the opposite side of the strap
      to keep the gaiters pulled down around the ankles. The leather strap runs under
      the arch of each shoe.

      Field Use

      I have used these gaiters on almost all of my hiking and
      backpacking trips. I have a tendency to kick sand and debris up into my shoes;
      I think because of the way I walk, so these are a must for me. They have been
      worn in the desert, walking through sandy washes, thorny and rocky terrain, the
      mountains where tree and brush material can stick in my shoes/socks and become
      a nuisance as well as through streams and snow.

      A few examples of the trips I have worn them on are:

      ●
      Hiking to Goat Canyon Trestle, Anza Borrego
      about 8 miles (12.88 km) of steep, rocky and sandy terrain in hot,
      around 90-100 F (32-37 C), weather.

      ●
      Hiking to Montero Palms, Anza Borrego
      about 6 miles (9.66 km) in sandy, prickly terrain with lots of small
      pebbles. Hot, around 85-90 F (29-32 C), and dry weather.

      ●
      Backpacking to Maidenhair Falls, Anza Borrego
      about 7 (11.27 km) miles in sandy terrain, some small river crossings
      Hot, around 90-95 F (32-35 C), and dry weather.

      ●
      Backpacking to San Gorgonio, San Bernardino
      Mountains
      about 18 miles (28.98 km) in steep terrain. Lots of pine needles and
      other tree/brush to get into shoes. Warm to hot temperature, about 80-90 F
      (27-32 C), and dry weather.

      ●
      Backpacking through Mineral King, Sequoia
      National Park
      22 miles (35.42 km) over 3 days. Cool, around 70-75 F (21-24 C), and dry
      weather, several stream crossings and some snow.

      In each and every trip over the years the gaiters performed
      up to expectation. They kept dirt and debris out of my shoes and socks for the
      entire trip. While they are not waterproof, they did help keep snow from
      entering the tops of my shoes thus keeping my feet drier and warmer than they
      would have been without them.

      An added bonus of keeping my feet cleaner is helping to
      prevent blisters. With my shoes and socks cleaner, I noticed less chance of
      developing blisters or hot spots from friction that debris would have caused.

      I was also able to hike longer and with fewer stops. Other
      people had to stop every couple of hours to empty their shoes, where I did not
      have to stop and could keep hiking.

      They are comfortable to wear and I hardly noticed that they
      were on. They do add a little weight and bulk but it is hardly noticeable. The
      elastic that goes around the ankle fits snug but not too snug where it was
      cutting off circulation

      In certain terrain, snow, I did have a hard time keeping the
      leather strap under my foot, especially when sliding down snow embankments on
      my feet. My shoes either did not have a big enough arch to keep the strap
      firmly in place or the friction was too much and caused the strap to slide off
      my foot.

      The only other downside or
      fault I have with them is the leather strap that runs under the shoe around the
      arch. Leather is strong but isn't something that is going to withstand the
      constant abrasion from rocks, logs, and sand that the foot encounters. After
      many many trips, the leather strap finally broke. The company has a lifetime
      warranty on all of its products, so my gaiters were promptly replaced with a
      brand new pair.

      In Summary

      I find these gaiters to be very useful in keeping things out
      of my shoes. I will continue to wear gaiters on every trip I go on. I have
      since upgraded to a lighter pair, gaiters in general will always be part of my
      backpacking gear.

      Pros

      ●
      Price

      ●
      They work remarkably well

      ●
      Lifetime guarantee

      Cons

      ●
      Leather strap will eventually break

      ●
      Weight

      ●
      Strap slips off of foot in certain conditions