OR: Deuter Compact EXP 12 Hydration Pack by Jaco-Chris Koorts

  • jacochris.koorts
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20 5:31 AM
      Owner review: Deuter Compact EXP 12 Hydration Pack
      Owner review by: Jaco-Chris Koorts

      Biographical information: Jaco-Chris Koorts

      Name: Jaco-Chris Koorts
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 1.75 m (5'9")
      Weight: 78 kg (171.96 lb)
      E-mail address: jacockoorts@...
      City: Cape Town
      State: Western Cape
      Country: South Africa
      Date: 20 August 2013

      Backpacking background: Adventure-junky, I have been backpacking from around the age of 9 or 10. I frequently hike over weekends and I try to go on 5-day hikes at least three times per year. I aim for an efficiently packed backpack, but I don't sacrifice gear for a lighter backpack. I normally hike in mountainous terrain, and I have hiked in circumstances varying from knee-deep snow to semi-arid desert. On top of hiking, I am also an avid mountain-biker and trail-runner.

      Product information

      Manufacturer: Deuter
      Year of manufacture: 2012
      URL to website of manufacturer: http://www.deuter.com
      Product: Compact EXP 12 Hydration Pack
      Listed weight: 960 g (2.12 lb)
      Weight as delivered: 960 g (2.12 lb)
      Colour: Grey and white
      Capacity: 12 + 2 l (732 + 122 cu in)
      Classification of backpack: Bicycle hydration pack

      Handy features of the pack:
      • Deuter Airstripes back system, to promote a flow of air between my back and the pack
      • Compartmentalised design, which enables me to easily find any piece of equipment I might need during a ride
      • Deployable rain cover
      • Breathable mesh shoulder straps to promote airflow
      • Breathable mesh hip belt with external pockets
      • Side mesh pockets for extra water bottle
      • Deployable helmet holder.
      The Deuter Compact EXP 12 Bicycle Hydration Pack is more than just a hydration pack; it is a way of life! This tough little pack punches above its weight with a staggering range of features, all designed to keep me going when the going gets tough.

      The pack is able to hold a 3 l (101 fl oz) water bladder with a sizeable 12 l (732 cu in) main storage compartment that is expandable by a further 2 l (122 cu in). This is a great feature as I often need to carry an extra pair of shoes and a waterproof jacket whilst competing in multi-disciplinary events. There is also an outer, smaller pocket with a lot of compartments, which I use for keeping together all of my bicycle equipment.

      The pack is made from very durable Deuter-Ripstop 210 and Deuter-Super-Polytex materials. There have been a few cases where the pack has had to absorb the grunt of a high speed tumble, and the materials are still in very good condition, with no tears starting to show.

      The pack's many pockets enable me to organise the contents in such a way that there is nothing loose in the pack. This is important, as I will always be able to get to my tools quickly and easily, even after driving on rugged terrain.

      The breathable mesh shoulder straps and hip belt promote airflow while in use, and the Deuter Airtstrips back system minimises sweat and discomfort where my back and the pack meet. The adjustable compression straps at the sides of the pack ensure a snug fit, minimising the amount pack movement on my back in the field.

      The deployable helmet holder is very well designed, and the splash cover has proven its abilities to keep the contents of the pack dry, even in fairly heavy rain.

      Field report

      I have had this pack from 2012 and have used it as a hydration pack both for trail running and mountain biking on at least ten occasions. Temperatures ranged from around 35 C (95 F) to around 2 C (35 F). I have met rain on about 4 days, with the pack's splash cover not letting me down.

      A big test of both me and the pack was a gruelling 50 km (31 mi) adventure race. The rugged terrain and the cold and rainy conditions required the pack and myself to bring our A-game!

      Field location and conditions

      To fully grasp the gravity of the situation, it is important to firstly understand the concept of an adventure race. Competing in teams of two, my teammate and I are handed a map marked with checkpoints the morning of registration. Certain checkpoints are only allowed to be reached on foot, while others are only allowed to be reached by bicycle and others by some miscellaneous way (this can range from kayaks to abseiling). The race is completed once all the checkpoints have been reached.

      This particular adventure race was held on a farm outside of Villiersdorp, a small town about two hours' drive from Cape Town. And what made it especially difficult were the weather conditions – constant rain and temperatures of around 2 C (35 F) caused the difficult terrain to become very muddy and even trickier, especially on a mountain bike.

      Performance

      The pack performed very well. Because of the multi-disciplinary nature of the race and the distance that needed to be covered, I set out with a fairly heavy pack and my 3 l (101 fl oz) water bladder filled to the brim.

      The first part of the race was a trail run, and at first the pack moved around a bit too much to my liking. I subsequently adjusted the waist straps and the shoulder straps, which improved the overall experience considerably. The pack, however, comes to its full right when used on a bicycle, which to be fair was its intended design in the first place.

      I had one epic fall, with the pack having to take the grunt of the impact. Even with a heavy pack and the water bladder still being very close to full, the pack sustained no damage and the water bladder did not burst.

      Due to the incessant rain, I was forced to use the pack's rain cover for the most part of the race. This did its job very well, and kept the contents of the pack remarkably dry.

      Summary

      Everything accounted for, the pack behaved extremely well, especially taking into account the extremely wet conditions.

      Summary

      The Deuter Compact EXP 12 Hydration Pack is a very versatile hydration pack, and even though it is designed for biking, it can be used during multi-disciplinary events as well.

      Things I like:
      1. The breathable mesh shoulder straps and hip belt
      2. The external pockets in the hip belt, which can be used to carry snacks
      3. The very effective rain cover
      4. The deployable helmet holder
      5. The fact that the main storage compartment can be extended, which is very handy when you want to put in some bigger items, such as an extra pair of shoes.

      Things I don't:
      1. The pack is more comfortable when used during biking than during trail running
      2. The mesh shoulder straps, although breathable, are less comfortable than padded shoulder straps, especially when the pack is heavily loaded
      3. The pockets located on the hip belt can be difficult to open and close while running or riding, and generally require me to come to a standstill when being used.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26 11:43 AM

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 26 5:16 PM
          Hello Jaco-Chris,

          I will be your editor for this, your second Owner Review (OR). Thanks for joining BGT and contributing these reviews. You will be testing soon. Like your first editor Richard I shall address your edits with the following format:

          EDIT: must be changed

          As you have done your first OR you know how to post the HTML. I will go ahead and edit this but go ahead and upload the HTML version too from now on, whether it is OR's or tests in the future. (Actually it is mandatory for tests.) Please give me a link to the HTML or the name it has in the OR Test Folder.

          Also put the text version here again with REPOST in the subject line please.

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer: Deuter

          EDIT: the actual corporate name is Deuter Sport GmbH & Co. KG

          ***The Deuter Compact EXP 12 Bicycle Hydration Pack is more than just a hydration
          pack; it is a way of life!

          Edit/comment: while I can appreciate the enthusiasm for a great piece of gear you may want to keep from gushing too much about it as just ten uses hardly brings it into "life" range. ;-)

          *** I have met rain on about 4 days, with the pack's splash cover not letting me down.

          Edit: as the company calls it a "raincover" I would suggest doing so too, at least the first time if you want to explain that you call it a splash cover. After that you can use the term to your heart's content.

          ***A big test of both me and the pack was a gruelling 50 km (31 mi) adventure race.

          EDIT: grueling

          ***5. The fact that the main storage compartment can be extended, which is very
          handy when you want to put in some bigger items, such as an extra pair of shoes.

          EDIT: remember we need to keep everything in the first person. No "you want" as that projects our thoughts on the reader. Go with "I want" instead.
        • chcoa