Edit/Approval - REI Desert Gaiters - Bob Dorenfeld

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2013
      Bob,

      Excellent job, and thanks for keeping the ORs coming. You've earned a Brownie Point for this one. A few edits in the standard BGT format – EDIT is a required change, Edit a suggested change or request for clarification, and Comment a comment, with no change required. After revising you may upload to http://tinyurl.com/m6hzfk6 Don't forget to delete your Tests/OR folder copy.

      Cheers, Richard

      ###I live at 7000 ft (2134 m) in the Southern Colorado Rockies where I hike between 7000 ft (2134 m) and 14000 ft (4200 m). ###
      Edit: As I assume that the 7000 feet is rounded off, I'd round off the metric too, especially as you do so with the 14000 feet. Two places.

      ####Often I hike off-trail on challenging talus, snowfields, or willow brakes, with occasional bouldering.###
      EDIT: willow breaks

      ###"Over-the-ankle" means that they rise about 4 in (10 cm) above the top of a
      typical backpacking boot. ###
      Edit: Consider elaborating on the type of boot you wear with the gaiters – trail runner, mid-height, or whatever. To my mind there's no "typical" backpacking boot height.

      ###to match my men's size 42 boots. ###
      EDIT: Add the US equivalent of your European boot size.

      ###Although I don't wear them frequently, I've found that they come in handy on average for 2-3 hikes each year, for a total of about 20 miles per year.###
      EDIT: Add the metric equivalent for 20 miles.

      ###I've had to occasionally adjust the instep cord's length over the years since my boots have had slightly different dimensions. ###
      Edit: since I've worn different boots that have had slightly different dimensions [None of your boots' dimensions has changed.]

      ###One of the best uses of these gaiters for me has been for unexpected snow hiking - usually in the spring, where the Rocky Mountains can hold snow and ice fields ###
      EDIT: when the Rocky Mountains can hold

      ### They are just high enough to keep snow out of my boots, and despite REI's claim that the material is not waterproof, ###
      Edit: "REI's disclaimer that" would be more accurate.
    • richardglyon@att.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2013
        Hi Bob,

        Another excellent OR, thanks for keeping them coming. In this case you've earned a Brownie Point. And thanks for endorsing Sunday Afternoons, a manufacturer I found through BGT and the best backcountry hatter I've found.

        Two edits, both optional, below; after revising (or not) and upload to the existing folder, being sure to click the Owner Review button when you do.

        Cheers, Richard
        ________________________

        ### Size Men's Medium ###
        Edit: Consider listing other sizes available and what size Medium means in US hat size terms.

        ### This is my first cap with an interior mesh, and I was very nicely surprised when I dipped it into the river to help cool off on a warm sunny day, and found that it stayed wet for over an hour! ###
        Edit: This is an observation as to which I think you'd enlighten our readers by describing in greater detail the environmental conditions (temperature, wind, tree cover, cloud cover, whatever) in which it took place.
      • geartest7000
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2013

          Richard -

          Before I uploaded, I added size info and more context about conditions I noticed where the hat stayed wet, both good suggestions, thanks.

          Oh, and sorry about that incorrect subject line in the thread - the edit box remembers old entries, and I wasn't paying attention; fixed it for this reply.

          ~Bob

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 20, 2013
            Thanks, Bob. Ah, the perils of cutting and pasting. Sorry for the wrong product in my subject line.

            Happy Thanksgiving, Richard