OR: Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Gaiters - Josh Breslow (HTML Link)

  • Josh Breslow
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2013

      Owner Review by Josh Breslow

      Name: Josh Breslow

      Age: 40

      Gender: Male

      Height: 5’ 4” (1.63 m)

      Weight: 170 Pounds (77 kg)

      Email Address: jbreslowsubs [at] gmail [dot] com

      City, State, Country: San Diego, CA, U.S

      Backpacking Background: I am fairly new to the backpacking world, having
      done it now for about 8 months. But I have been an avid hiker for many
      years.I mostly take weekend trips to the San Bernadino mountains with an
      occasional trip to the desert. I have recently converted to a quilt instead
      of a sleeping bag, which I love.

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research

      Year of Manufacture: 2008

      Manufacturer's Website: www.outdoorresearch.com

      MSRP: US$22

      Listed Weight: 4.8 oz (136 g) for L/XL size

      Measured Weight: 3.5 oz (98 g) for S/M size

      Size: S/M

      Also available in L/XL

      Style: Low

      Color: Black

      Fabric: 100% nylon

      Length: 9”

      Width: 16”

      The Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Low gaiters are made from 100% nylon
      fabric. Each gaiter has the OR logo embroidered in gray on the outside.
      There is an elastic band sewn into each gaiter at the top and bottom to
      keep it snug against your ankle and shoe. A 1”x9” strip of hook-and-loop is
      used to keep the gaiter closed around your ankle and foot. There is also
      an extra flap of hook-and-loop at the top and bottom to make sure the 9”
      strip doesn't start coming apart. At the bottom-front of the gaiter is a
      riveted metal hook that is used to hook into your shoe laces. This keeps
      the gaiter pulled down snug over the tongue/laces of your shoe. On the left
      or right side (depending on how you put them on) is an 8.5”x ⅝” piece of
      leather with 20 evenly spaced holes running the length of it. This strap is
      used in conjunction with the buckle (similar to a waist belt) located on
      the opposite side of the strap to keep the gaiters pulled down around your
      ankles. The leather strap runs under the arch of each shoe.

      Field Use

      I have used these gaiters on almost all of my hiking and backpacking trips.
      I have a tendency to kick sand and debris up into my shoes; I think because
      of the way I walk, so these are a must for me. They have been worn in the
      desert, walking through sandy washes, thorny and rocky terrain, the
      mountains where tree and brush material can stick into your shoes/socks and
      become a nuisance as well as through streams and snow.

      A few examples of the trips I have worn them on are:

      Hiking to Goat Canyon Trestle, Anza Borrego

      about 8 miles of steep, rocky and sandy terrain in hot weather

      Hiking to Montero Palms, Anza Borrego

      about 6 miles in sandy, prickly terrain with lots of small pebbles.
      Hot and dry weather.

      Backpacking to Maidenhair Falls, Anza Borrego

      about 7 miles in sandy terrain, some small river crossings Hot and
      dry weather

      Backpacking to San Gorgonio, San Bernardino Mountains

      about 18 miles in steep terrain. Lots of pine needles and other
      tree/brush to get into shoes. Hot and dry weather.

      Backpacking through Mineral King, Sequoia National Park

      22 miles over 3 days. Cool dry weather, several stream crossings and
      some snow.

      In each and every trip the gaiters performed up to expectation. They kept
      dirty and debris out of my shoes and socks for the entire trip. While they
      are not waterproof, they did help keep snow from entering the tops of my
      shoes thus keeping my feet drier and warmer than they would have been
      without them.

      An added bonus of keeping your feet cleaner is helping to prevent blisters.
      With my shoes and socks cleaner, I noticed less chance of developing
      blisters or hot-spots from friction that debris would have caused.

      I was also able to hike longer and with fewer stops. Other people had to
      stop every couple of hours to empty their shoes, where I did not have to
      stop and could keep hiking.

      They are comfortable to wear and I hardly noticed that they were on. They
      do add a little weight and bulk to your feet which is hardly noticeable.
      The elastic around your ankle fits snug but not too snug where it was
      cutting off circulation

      In certain terrain, snow, I did have a hard time keeping the leather strap
      under my foot, especially when sliding down snow embankments on my feet. My
      Merrell Ventilators either did not have a big enough arch to keep the strap
      firmly in place or the friction was too much and caused the strap to slide
      off my foot.

      The only other downside or fault I have with them is the leather strap that
      runs under your shoe around the arch. Leather is strong but isn’t something
      that is going to withstand the constant abrasion from rocks, logs, and sand
      that the foot encounters. After many many trips, the leather strap finally
      broke. The company has a lifetime warranty on all of its products, so my
      pair was promptly replaced with a brand new pair.

      In Summary

      I find these gaiters to be very useful in keeping things out of your shoes.
      I will continue to wear gaiters on every trip I go on. I have since
      upgraded to a lighter pair, gaiters in general will always be part of my
      backpacking gear.

      They work remarkably well

      Lifetime guarantee

      Leather strap will eventually break

      - Strap slips off of foot in certain conditions