OR LATITUDE 40 Trail Map Series - Bob Dorenfeld

  • geartest7000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2013
      Editors -

      I'm posting a new OR for a map.

      A couple of notes:
      - Since the map I'm reviewing is part of a series, I tried to separate my comments on what the entire series has in common and what I observed about the one particular map I reviewed.
      - The map company uses the degree symbol as part of its official name (Latitude 40[degrees]), but they also drop the symbol in much of their own text. Thus, I included it in the HTML for OR title and "Manufacturer", but dropped it in further citations in my text.
      - Size of images: the manual says 100K is the upper limit ("Chapter 11: Including pictures in your reports and reviews") but the OR upload site says 200K. Which one is correct? My images are all under 100K, but 200K would allow finer resolution for some of them.

      Looking forward to your comments...
      ~Bob Dorenfeld

      ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

      LATITUDE 40 Trail Map Series
      BY BOB DORENFELD
      OR
      July 15, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Bob Dorenfeld
      EMAIL: geartest(at)sageandspruce(dot)net
      AGE: 55
      LOCATION: Salida, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 142 lb (64.40 kg)

      I'm an active hiker, snowshoer, skier (Nordic & alpine), backpacker. I live at 7000 ft (2134 m) in the Southern Colorado Rockies where I hike between 7000 ft (2134 m) and 14000 ft (4200 m). I'll do from 4 to 12 miles (6 to 20 km) in a day, ranging as much as 5000 ft (1500 m) of elevation change. I carry up to 20 lb (9 kg) on day hikes, about 45 lb (20 kg) on backpacks. Overnights are usually from one to three nights. Often I hike off-trail on challenging talus, snowfields, or willow brakes, with occasional bouldering.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Latitude 40, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2010-2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.latitude40maps.com/" LINK TEXT = "Latitude 40, Inc.">>
      MSRP: US$9.75 - 11.95
      Number of maps currently available (as of July 2013): 21
      Coverage area: Colorado, USA (17) Utah, USA (4)
      Map Coverage: varies by individual map
      Size: slightly varies by map - most are 38 in x 25 in (97 cm x 64 cm) flat; 8.25 in x 4.25 in (21 cm x 11 cm) folded
      Construction: tear-resistant plastic
      Scale: varies by map
      Contour Interval: varies by map, but all include shaded relief base
      All maps include UTM & latitude/longitude grid
      Trails for mountain biking, hiking, fishing, OHV

      Map reviewed here: Salida Buena Vista Trails <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Frontside" IMAGE CAPTION = "Front of Map">>

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      Map Name: Salida & Buena Vista Trails - Recreation Topo Map
      MSRP: US$11.95
      Published: 2010
      Map Coverage: all or part of 44 USGS 1:24,000 7.5-minute topographic maps
      Map boundaries are -
      North: Twin Lakes
      South: Bonanza
      East: Badger Creek
      West: Taylor Park
      Size: 38 in x 25 in (97 cm x 64 cm) flat
      8.25 in x 4.25 in (21 cm x 11 cm) folded
      Scale: 1:75,000; 1 in = 1.2 mi (2.5 cm = 2 km)
      Contour Interval: 80 ft (24.4 m) with shaded relief base
      Latest Edition: 1st (2nd edition is scheduled for later in 2013, see below in Field Use)

      Latitude 40, Inc. wants their maps to be for "[e]veryone. Hikers, bikers, ATVers, climbers, backpackers, no matter who you are, if you need a good map of the trails where you're going, check us out." They claim that they "do extensive research for each map we design and sell, including ground-proofing, meeting with local agencies, and talking to map users. We've been to a lot of the places on our maps and on a lot of the trails." They also "work closely with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), county and state agencies, and the U.S. Forest Service and use the information in their locally produced Travel Management Plans. We use 7.5-minute data for the physical features of the land."
      Latitude 40 intends to update each map every two years to keep up with all the changes in roads, trails, and land accessibility.

      All of the available maps are printed on "...waterproof, tear-resistant plastic. They can withstand a lot of wear and tear and years on the trail, snowstorms, and even a few rainstorms (although they don't like hail)." The surface is slick but can still be written on with either pencil or pen.

      The maps fold out in standard fashion, with a vertical triple fold first, then with nine horizontal accordion folds (for the map that I tested). On the first vertical fold below the front is the small 4 in (10 cm) square index map covering the same area as the detailed map, but showing the 7.5 minute USGS quads used as the map base, and colored shaded-relief overlay with major features like towns, rivers, and county boundaries. Compass rose, distance scale (in feet and meters, with handy conversion formulae), and small locator map within the state are all here on the index page.

      Back of the map with index: <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Backside" IMAGE CAPTION = "Back of Map">>

      The other vertical fold above the map front is the legend showing all of the symbols used on the map, elevation color bands (in feet), trail difficulty ratings, company contact information, and a legal disclaimer on use of the provided map data.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Legend" IMAGE CAPTION = "Map Legend">>

      On one of the inside folds is a feature that really sets this map series apart from many others - a brief description (in fine print, but still quite readable) of many of the roads and trails found on the map, complete with difficulty ratings, names of start and stop points, elevation change, map location, trail type (bicycle, foot, etc), a sentence or two about what makes this trail or road distinctive, plus route recommendations and warnings, if any. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "BriefDescriptions" IMAGE CAPTION = "Trail Brief Descriptions">>

      Unfolding the map to its full extent reveals all the details of shaded relief, contour lines, natural features and their labels, trails and roads, land ownership boundaries (National Forest, Bureau of Land Management, National Park, and other Federal and State lands). Also present is information that Latitude 40 provides but not usually found on outdoor maps:
      - Trail and road difficulty ratings, from Easy to Most Difficult (in five steps)
      - Trail and road mileages between intersections and landmarks
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Sample" IMAGE CAPTION = "Sample of Map">>

      Other data found on these maps includes all road and trail numbers, where trails are motorized (cars, OHVs or Off Highway Vehicles, motorbikes, or motorbikes only), mechanized (bicycles), or foot only (hikers, horses). All map borders include latitude/longitude markings and the UTM grid.

      Each side of the unfolded map will include either the North/South or East/West of the areas covered, as appropriate.

      FIELD USE

      For my ongoing test of a map in the series I am using the Salida & Buena Vista Trails 1st Edition, the latest available as of this writing. This is my second summer season using this map extensively, but I also use it in all four seasons. This map handles easily, folding out and back in without much trouble. Eventually my maps will show wear and tear on the creases and corners as they get stressed during use, especially when folding them back on the a crease to make a convenient size for carrying while also reading the area of interest. I am impressed with how well this one has held up - I haven't had to tape any tears or fold-corners yet. The map has gotten slightly wet on several occasions but each time it was easy to wipe the water off and store it in my pack.

      First I'll make some general comments that apply to all of the maps in the series. I found the map visuals to be quite beautiful, it's really great to look at. Map design needs to assemble an incredible variety of visual information, most of it competing for your brain's attention all at the same time. Line widths, colors, and symbols should be designed so that I can pick out only what I want to see and ignore the rest, and I found this to be the case here.

      The legend is perhaps the most unusual aspect of the Latitude 40 series of maps. As usual, when I get a new map I skip the legend and just plunge into the map details: can I read the contours OK? Can I separate the roads from the water courses? Can I distinguish mountains from valleys? Can I easily tell apart the types of roads from the trails? I was at first disconcerted by the mapmakers' choice of symbols for roads and trails - black lines (solid and dashed) are roads, red lines are four-wheel-drive roads, red dashed lines are mechanized (mountain bike) trails, and red dashed lines with yellow overlay are hiker-only trails. There are several additional road/trail variations found in the legend. However, once I used the map for several weeks running I learned these symbols and now I like them because I find them easy to quickly distinguish on the map. I prefer to hike trails not open to any motorized vehicles and really appreciate having this bit of information on the map. Sometimes I'll hike trails open to mountain bikes, but only if it's not a popular bike trail: the trail descriptions often state if they're heavily used by mountain bikes.

      One small quibble: The mileage scale is not on the Legend fold of the map, but rather on the Index fold. Most maps do put the mileage scale with the rest of the legend, so it took me a couple of uses to remember where to look for the distance scale.

      Since I am not a GPS user I cannot comment on the accuracy of the UTM grid. I do occasionally use my magnetic compass, and the indicated declination and latitude and longitude markings appear the be accurate as far as I can tell. I prefer to navigate by attention to topography, the sun, ecological setting, and of course my paper maps, so map accuracy is very important.

      Public/private land boundaries are not shown on the map, as the general map description states. However, the mapmakers have taken pains to highlight only those roads and trails that are on public land, or that are open to the public. While I like to see all road and trails shown on a map if only for orientation purposes (and some of these are shown but not highlighted), I appreciate the effort taken by the designers to guide users towards legal access for trails.

      Now, some more specific comments for the particular map under review. I have hiked close to 50% of the foot trails depicted on the map reviewed here (Salida & Buena Vista Trails, although not all of them with this map in hand) and I can say that they are very accurately depicted, for both location and type of trail. However, I did find one error where a one mile (2.5 km) section of the Kroenke Lake Trail was mislocated as going directly up a ridge instead of switchbacking. I also found several other mapped trails (in the Frenchman Creek alpine basin) that had no trace of a tread or cairns on the ground, nor any sign of the indicated trail junction. I took advantage of Latitude 40's email contact form, on their website, to comment on these map issues. The company owners responded within one day and said that they'd confirmed my observation of the Kroenke Trail and that they'd make the correction for the next edition. As it happens they are just getting ready to go to press for the 2nd edition of the Salida & Buena Vista Trails map, so my timing was good. As for my other comments they are investigating whether the trails should be even shown on the map as Forest Service numbered trails, and where they should be located, if at all. I am impressed with the mapmakers' responsiveness and attention to detail!

      I am happy with the coverage of this map: it's a large area (approximately 30 by 46 mi, or 48 by 74 km), which means I normally only need to grab one map for this hike. However, the trade-off is less detail for the land contours and the trail and road placements (for example, switchbacks are eliminated or generalized). But this problem is easily solved by my carrying the relevant map from another publisher at a larger scale, and printing out sections of USGS 7.5 quads which contain the best contour detail. (I love maps and often carry two or three on hikes, since besides contour detail they often include other different data that can be useful in the field.)

      While I haven't checked all or even most of the road mileages, the ones I have checked (Forest Service access roads to the trailheads) are within 0.2 mi (0.3 km) of the mileages indicated on the map (which are in tenths of miles).

      I use Public Lands primarily as a hiker and Nordic skier, and do not mountain bike or drive motorized vehicles except for my car to gain trailhead access. Therefore I could check the trail brief descriptions only for relevancy to foot travel. I found the descriptions sometimes useful for hiking. But as mentioned above, they're also useful for me to decide which trails I'd rather not attempt given the possibility of bicycle or OHV users.

      We have several long-distance trails in our area of the state, the Colorado Trail being one them. It's nicely highlighted on the map, as is the Continental Divide Trail too.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I am very impressed with the maps in Latitude 40's series covering parts of Colorado and Utah. The map I reviewed here, Salida Buena Vista Trails: Recreation Topo Map is now my constant companion whenever I hike in the mountains covered by it. I'll even consult it just for the road directions and ratings if I'm driving in an area but not hiking. The map folds out and back very well, and has proven to be very durable without tearing or ripping despite lots of use in the field. Despite a moderate learning curve for the trail and road symbols I found the map data to be easy to read and understand with minimal effort, and a pleasure to look at just for the big geographic picture. No map is perfect, and I am impressed with how the mapmakers dealt with my reporting on one trail location error and a couple of other possible trail numbering or location issues. Although it seems that they did not meet their deadline of publishing the next edition within two years of the first, publishing deadlines tend to be flexible, and I'm looking forward to the next edition of this fine map.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2013

        Editors Team Director
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 24, 2013
          Hi Bob,
          Thanks for the OR! Maps (land navigation) is a skill that many do not possess any more with the advent of GPS and I believe they should as batteries can die at the worse time. Anyway, your HTML looks good. I have a few edits for you so just take them one at a time and we'll get through this before you know it.

          My standard format is as follows -
          EDIT - must change
          edit - my recommended change "if" you agree
          comment - is just that

          So, here we go -

          "Latitude 40, Inc. wants their maps to be for "[e]veryone."

          EDIT – "everyone" remove the brackets surrounding the [e]

          "Product Description"

          comment/EDIT – No one expects you to be a cartographer, but there is a reoccurring issue with using a lot of "copy and paste" from the manufacturer in this section. It should be mostly your own description and not just a lot of quotes from the mfg page. One example (but not the only one) is this one that you have listed – "All of the available maps are printed on "...waterproof, tear-resistant plastic. They can withstand a lot of wear and tear and years on the trail, snowstorms, and even a few rainstorms (although they don't like hail)." The surface is slick but can still be written on with either pencil or pen."
          The quotation marks are my own, but this is almost word for word as can be found on the mfg website.
          There is also "projection" in here with the statement that the maps can withstand a lot of wear and tear and years on the trail. This is not your own experience and it should be. Another, is, have you personally written on the map and if so, what were your results? As a reader this, is what I want to know. I can read what the mfg is selling me, but I go to BGT to read what the unbiased tester's real-world experiences were with the product.

          "I have hiked close to 50% of the foot trails depicted on the map reviewed here (Salida & Buena Vista Trails, although not all of them with this map in hand) and I can say that they are very accurately depicted, for both location and type of trail."

          EDIT – This is worded very oddly as I read it. I would try a rewrite and this is why – You say that you have hiked less than 50% of the depicted foot trails and some unknown number of those, you did not have the map in hand yet you claim that they are very accurately depicted. This seems difficult to accomplish based on how you typed this up. I appreciate your honesty here but maybe there is a way to word this to reflect what I think you are trying to say in a better way. Something like this maybe – "I have hiked close to 50% of the foot trails depicted on my map and of the ones I hiked, I can say that the trails are very accurately depicted for both location and type of trail." Maybe a specific example would be good here as well (hint).

          "I also found several other mapped trails (in the Frenchman Creek alpine basin) that had no trace of a tread or cairns on the ground, nor any sign of the indicated trail junction."

          edit – Alpine Basin is used as part of a proper noun and should be capitalized. If you're talking about the alpine basin at the head of the valley, or that Freshman Creek rises in a basin, then they would be lower case.

          "I took advantage of Latitude 40's email contact form, on their website, to comment on these map issues."

          comment – this is the beginning of a new paragraph section – or it could actually e under its own heading of Contact Customer Service or something similar as it has very good information as to the company's attention to detail, level of customer feedback accepted, etc…and your perception based on what you experienced.

          "Therefore I could check the trail brief descriptions only for relevancy to foot travel."

          edit – This reads oddly to me – How about, "Therefore, I could check the trail's brief descriptions only for relevancy to foot travel." Or "Therefore, I could check the brief trail descriptions only for relevancy to foot travel." Do either of these work better for you?

          "Overall I am very impressed with the maps in Latitude 40's series covering parts of Colorado and Utah. The map I reviewed here…"

          edit/comment – How many maps (plural) have you used to come to this conclusion? It should probably be the one you're reviewing unless you clearly list the others and what your experiences were with those. I would probably just say that, "Overall I am very impressed with my Latitude 40 series map covering parts of Colorado and Utah."

          So that's it I think. Go ahead and repost once you have worked through these please and cc me as well so I will be sure not to miss it. I think we're very close on this one - great job so far.
          Mike Mosack
          mosack(at)earthlink(dot)net