Thank you Joe S - Re: OR - Black Diamond Raven Pro

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10 8:37 PM

      Editors Team Director
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13 4:12 AM
        Hi Joe,

        Thanks for the OR of an axe I know well. I have a few edits for you and then it can go with the other Raven Pro reviews at:

        Reviews > Snow Gear > Axes and Shovels > Black Diamond Raven Pro Ice Axe

        Ray

        ***The Raven Pro features a stainless steel head and spike with an aluminum shaft offered in 5 cm-increment lengths from 50 to 75 cm.

        EDIT: need the Imperial conversions (inches)

        *** My observations may be relevant for casual hikers who eschew technical work but don't shy from a bit of snowy declivity. My impressions relate to the less-technical end of this product category.

        Comment: which is fine as this axe does not carry a "T" rating anyway. You may want to make mention somewhere that it is a "B" rated axe.

        *** Next on a Whitney (California, USA) trip

        EDIT: Mt. Whitney

        *** I can sink the Raven Pro with a dainty plunk into the crunch without inadvertently burying the head to the hozel.

        EDIT: burying the head to the "handle" (or, what is a hozel?)

        The somewhat straighter pick also requires less extraction effort.

        ***At 13,000' (4,000 m) it becomes fairly clear to the foggy mind that easier repetitions of sinking the shaft become torture in a less immediate time frame.

        EDIT: to "my" foggy mind (keep it in the 1st person to avoid projection)
      • never2muchstuff
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31 8:42 PM
          Thanks for the help, Ray. Much appreciated!