OWNER REVIEW-Outdoor PRODUCTS BACKPACKERS TARP

  • KENNETH V TOPLISS
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8 7:30 PM
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/Outdoor%20Products-Backpackers%20Tarp/
      Outdoor PRODUCTS -Backpackers TarpBY KEN TOPLISSORMay 01, 2013 TESTER INFORMATION NAME: Ken ToplissEMAIL: kvtopliss@...: 57LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USAGENDER: MHEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg) Backpacking has been my passion for all of my adult life. My trips are primarily in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. I have trekked National Parks in the western United States with extensive time in Yellowstone, Glacier, Olympic, and Mount Rainier. I trek year round. Each trip is one or two nights. I do two one week long trips each year. I prefer ultra light packing, but allow myself creature comforts such as a self inflating pad. I spend about 40 nights a year in the back country. I trek solo or with one or two friends,and my black lab.
      PRODUCT INFORMATION Manufacturer: Outdoor ProductsYear of Manufacture: Not listedManufacturer's Website: www.outdoorproducts.comMSRP: Not listed but I paid $6.99 (US) at WalmartListed Weight: Not listedMeasured Weight: 7.8 oz (221.1 g)Other details: Measures 5 ft by 7 ft (1.52 m by 2.13 m)Material: Water resistant urethane coated fabric<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Tarp in pouch">>
      FIELD CONDITIONS AND PRODUCT PERFORMANCE I purchased this tarp because I needed a ground cloth for a new tarp tent. I wanted something light and inexpensive. I have used the tarp on three trips for a total of 4 nights on both dry ground and on snow. It is well made for an inexpensive product. I was going to use Tyvek but found this tarp light, easy to pack, and most of all it did not make a lot of noise. It is listed by the manufacturer as water resistant. I found that moisture did not penetrate through the tarp even when I slept on it on snow covered ground. These trips were done in March and April in the Greenhorn Mountains of Southern Colorado. Temperatures varied from a nighttime low of 28F (15.56C) to a daytime high of 74F (23.33C). Everywhere I went the ground was wet.
      I found the overall performance to be very satisfactory for an inexpensive product. The tarp kept out moisture all night while I slept on it. One night the ground was wet and muddy. In the morning exposure to the sun allowed the tarp to dry quickly. Residue and mud from the ground were easily removed with brushing after the tarp was dry. The tarp has three grommets on each long side. These were useful for staking the tarp down in the tent. I am an active sleeper and the tarp never shifted or buckled up.
      One night the tarp was pitched on very rocky ground with nothing under it. My black lab and I were both on top of it the entire night. A careful examination of the urethane coating in the morning, and after all four nights, did not show any signs of wear to either the tarp or the urethane finish.
      The tarp comes in a small pouch. It is a bit of a struggle to fold the tarp so that it will go back in the pouch, even though I was able to do it. I found that storing it in a sandwich baggie worked better. The pouch has a drawstring and can be used for other small items. When I originally removed the tarp from the pouch there were threads hanging from one seam of the pouch, which made the durability suspect. I used a lighter to shrink the threads and had no problems with the pouch falling apart.
      I played with the tarp when not sleeping on it. I used it to sit on and to place equipment on to avoid contact with the muddy ground. I also used light cord to pitch it as a wind break. The shield was small and provided only marginal relief but in a pinch might well be a God send. The grommets are listed by the manufacturer as heavy duty but I believe they might tear in a heavy wind. I did not use it as such, however the tarp could be pitched as a small emergency shelter. The small size might not provide total protection but would shield most of the body. The tarp can be wrapped over and around you, even when wearing a pack, if you needed to sit out a rain storm or other weather. It could also be used as a small sun shield. The urethane coated side could be used to catch condensation or rain if water was an issue. SUMMARY The Outdoor Products Backpackers Tarp represents a real bargain. It is not high tech and probably would not last more than a season or two with hard use. However, for the price of one dehydrated meal it will provide decent protection from the elements; something to sit on when the ground is wet; and a multitude of other uses limited only by the imagination. When day hiking it will provide light weight insurance against the elements, and will easily fit in a fanny pack. As a floor for my tarp tent it excelled. Everything else I used it for was a much appreciated bonus. This tarp is a genuine bargain for the price. THINGS I LIKE Light weightInexpensiveGood moisture barrier THINGS I DON'T LIKE Grommets appear weak SIGNATURE Ken Topliss This report was created with the BGT Report Generator.Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 15 8:47 PM
        Welcome Ken to BackpackGearTest.org. I here you are very eager to get testing with us.

        Thank you for your Owner Review and your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now you do not have enough field use with this particular item to meet our minimum Owner Review requirements. If you have another piece of gear with more time in the field, that would be better to start with. Additionally, it is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing process. If you would more assistance we have a Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Mentor(at)backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST in the subject line.

        You can also take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below). In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

        Regardless of how you choose to proceed, we certainly hope you will give it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

        Editors Team Director