REPOST - Vasque Breeze 2.0 GORE-TEX Boots - Davis Meschke

  • davis.meschke
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2013
      Tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/d7tg2nl

      Vasque Breeze 2.0 GoreTex Hiking Boots For Men
      By Davis Meschke
      OR
      April 25, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Davis Meschke
      EMAIL: davis.meschke@...
      AGE: 21
      LOCATION: Georgia, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)

      I was raised in middle Georgia, hiking almost every weekend with my parents, friends, etc. Now in college, I hike as much is humanly possible between classes, on off days, and on weekends. I have mostly hiked in Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Virginia. My backpacking style is Ultralight and I currently camp with a two-person tent. My average trip is 10 to 11 mi (16 to 18 km) and I prefer to hike solo.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Vasque
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.vasque.com/">>
      MSRP: US 159.99
      Listed Weight: 40 oz (1134 g) per pair
      Measured Weight: 38 oz (1077 g) per pair
      Size: US 9 M. Other sizes available include US 7-15 M. Available in Medium or Wide width.
      Color: Taupe/Orange. Also available are, Slate Brown/Russet Orange, Castlerock/Solar Power

      Field Use

      Appalachian Trail Georgia Section (Backpacking eight days)
      Springer Mountain to Bly Gap (Georgia): 79 miles (127 km); 3780 to 3824 ft (1152 to 1166 m) elevation; temperatures from 15 to 50 F (-9 to 10 C); 35 lb (16 kg) pack; dirt, rock, streams, sand, and snow were all present. Primarily snowing/sleeting with small intervals of sun.

      Bartram Trail: Franklin, North Carolina (Day Hiking)
      Bartram Trail (Franklin, North Carolina) Hale Ridge Road to Jones Gap: 12.5 miles (17.39 km); 2425 to 2927 ft (739 to 892 m) elevation; temperatures from 80 to 88 F (27 to 31 C); 15 lb (6.80 kg) pack; dirt, rock, sand, trail were all present. Partly cloudy to sunny conditions present, dry.

      Savannah Rapids Trail: Augusta, Georgia (Day Hiking)
      Savannah Rapids Trail (Augusta, Georgia); 10 miles (16.10 km); 655 to 713 ft (200 to 217m) elevation; Temperatures from 90 to 95 F (32 to 35 C); 10 lb (4.54 kg) pack; dirt, rock, gravel, mud were all present. Very hot, sunny, and dry.

      In addition to the above stated locations, I have also used the boots walking to college classes or just going on a nice day hike to just escape. I have been using the boot almost constantly since I bought them in December 2010. In terms of taking care of the boot, it does not require much maintenance to keep looking new. As with any footwear, dirt wear and general every day wear will cause this boot to fade but not to any point where the boot's performance will suffer. Other than a few scrapes and small gashes, the boot looks extremely good for the amount of wear it has been put through.

      Summary

      Immediately after trying the boot on, my first reaction was STIFF. Very stiff and blocky feeling. This would hopefully soon change, as I would be wearing the boot on a trip across the Georgia section of the Appalachian Trail. The boot has a breathable mesh and leather upper, waterproof breathable protection and a 1.5 in (4 cm) heel and 1.0 in (3 cm) toe Vibram Contact rubber outsole that provides traction for all the trail's ups and downs. The boot has a gusseted tongue that helps keep out dirt, sand, pebbles, twigs, etc. The laces pass through eight nylon loops before you I crossing them through one set of metal hooks, and two sets of non-slip plastic hooks. I quite liked the non-slip hooks because it helps a lot when tying the boots and allows for tying a tighter knot.
      A lot of the upper and lower part of the boot boasts Airmesh, which ended up being very nice in terms of ventilation and breathability when backpacking long distances. I also found that this boot includes very adequate ankle support, which is a must- have for myself because I have a tendency to roll my ankle on longer, rockier hikes. The ankle up is supported with breathable Airmesh that is nicely padded.
      The insoles are thin, about 0.39 in (1 cm) thick, which might appear thin. I have not seen whether or not after-market insoles could be inserted in place of the original insoles.

      Pros

      o Good stability
      o Superior breathability
      o Easy to get on and tie
      o Well made
      o Not a lot of break-in time

      Cons

      o Traction could be better on slicker surfaces
      o Thin sole insert only 0.39 in (1cm) thick
      o Really long laces over 1.5 ft (0.46 m) long

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2013
        Hello

        Welcome to BackpackGearTest and thank you for this, your first Owner Review. I will be your editor for this review. I see you have been working with a mentor, so you will probably already be used to edits following a format similar to this:

        EDIT: must be changed

        When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

        Ray

        ***Manufacturer: Vasque

        EDIT: it is actually Red Wing Shoe Company, Inc. (Vasque is just one of their brands)

        ***MSRP: US 159.99

        EDIT: as the Vasque website does not list MSRPs just show this as: N/A

        *** I have also used the boots walking to college classes or just going on a nice day hike to just escape. I have been using the boot almost constantly since I bought them in December 2010. In terms of taking care of the boot, it does not require much maintenance to keep looking new.

        EDIT: you keep jumping from singular (boot) to plural (boots, them) sometimes in the same sentence. You need to pick one way of talking about them and stick to it. (I suggest plural)

        *** As with any footwear, dirt wear and general every day wear will cause this boot to fade but not to any point where the boot's performance will suffer.

        EDIT: this is projection and speculation as you can't talk about "any" footwear unless you have experience with all of them ;-) Maybe say; As with all the other footwear I have hadÂ…

        ***Summary

        EDIT: actually this is your Review, not a summary. A summery summarizes the entire review. You really should have a Product Description section right after your Information section. I will email you a better set of lessons than our web site has.

        *** The laces pass through eight nylon loops before you I crossing them through one set of metal hooks,

        EDIT: not really sure what is going on here. You may want to reword this.

        *** I quite liked the non-slip hooks because it helps a lot when tying the boots and allows for tying a tighter knot.

        EDIT: here you jump from past tense (liked) to present (it helps). It is easy to do and I get this edit once in a while myself.

        ***A lot of the upper and lower part of the boot boasts Airmesh, which ended up being very nice in terms of ventilation and breathability

        Edit: you should explain what Airmesh is for the readers.

        ***The ankle up is supported with breathable Airmesh that is nicely padded.

        EDIT: the ankle "upper"