OR REI Pinnacle 35 daypack - Bob Dorenfeld

  • geartest7000
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18 11:21 AM
      [apologies for sending to the incorrect list earlier]

      REI PINNACLE 35 TECHNICAL DAYPACK
      BY Bob Dorenfeld
      OR
      April 15, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Bob Dorenfeld
      EMAIL: gearinfo7000atsageandsprucedotnet
      AGE: 55
      LOCATION: Salida, CO
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      I'm an active hiker, snowshoer, skier (nordic & alpine), backpacker. I live at 7000' in the Southern Colorado Rockies where most of my activities are between 7000 and 14000 feet. I'll do day hikes from 4 to 12 miles, which can range up to 5000 feet of elevation change. I carry 15-20 lbs on day hikes, about 45 lbs on backpacks. Overnights are usually from one to three nights. Often I hike off-trail on some challenging talus or scree, snowfields, or through scrub or willow brakes, with occasional bouldering.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: REI, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.rei.com" LINK TEXT = "REI, Inc.">>
      MSRP: US$129.00
      Listed Weight: 3 lb 8 oz (1.64 kg)
      Measured Weight: 3 lb 8 oz (1.64 kg)
      Option: Available in M or L torso size
      Gear capacity: 2134 in^3 (35 L)
      Material(s): High tenacity nylon/oxford nylon
      Pack loading: Top
      Pack access: Top/Side
      Number of exterior pockets: 4 plus main compartment
      Dimensions: 22.5 in x 12 in x 8 in (57 cm x 30.5 cm x 20.3 cm)
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "REI Pinnacle 35 front" IMAGE CAPTION = "Photos: REI, Inc.">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "REI Pinnacle 35 back">>
      <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.rei.com/product/816105/rei-pinnacle-35-pack" LINK TEXT = "REI Pinnacle 35 Daypack">>

      Product Description

      This pack has all of the features I expect from a daypack at its price level, plus a few extras. It's made of "high tenacity nylon/oxford nylon" as REI calls it. It has padded hip and shoulder straps, water bladder sleeve and tube port, a wand pocket for small items, and compression straps. The extras not found on most day packs include removable hipbelt and internal frameplate to save weight, molded foam back panel adds comfort for a heavy load, roll-top closure for weather resistance, side zipper for easy access to the main compartment, internal gear loops, and many exterior loops and attachment points (including ski/snowshoe straps). There is also a pair of removable rope (or other gear) straps for the top of the pack. The accompanying pictures illustrate most of these features.

      Review Summary

      This day or small overnight pack has met or exceeded all of my expectations. I use it for short and long day trips on all kinds of trail and off-trail conditions, carrying extra gear when needed. The shoulder and waist straps are easily adjusted, there are lots of convenient attachment points and straps, and the ski/snowshoe side-straps worked great. Materials are durable and extra stitching is apparent throughout. The simple internal plate keeps this pack balanced on my hips. I was able to carry snowshoes or nordic skis on the pack sides using the strips made for that purpose, and they stayed in place when tighly strapped.

      Field Use

      I've been using this pack constantly for one year (it replaced a 12 year old daypack that has seen better times), which comes to about 70 day trips over that time. I needed a sturdy, roomy pack that could also take on a pair of snowshoes or nordic skis for those combination hikes I sometimes do. Materials and construction had to be durable, last a long time, and provide comfort on the trail. Most of my hiking time is on established trails in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, with some off-trail hiking over rocks and scree, though brush, or over snow and ice. Even some of the trails are rough, causing occasional slips and falls, so my day pack needs to stay tight to my back and waist, and not not tear or rip easily.

      What I like best about this pack:
      - big main compartment, with access from both the top and full side zipper
      - large front pocket, big enough for maps, notebook, food, odds and ends
      - comfortable padded hip belt with easy strap adjustments
      - top of shoulder straps are adjustable to pull pack away or toward the back
      - I can quickly strap my hiking pole at one of 2 or 3 different places, depending on what else is on the pack
      - my snowshoes or skis easily attach to the side straps built for that purpose
      - extra gear can be attached on top with with the straps provided
      - inner pocket that easily fits my 3 L (3.17 qt) water bladder, plus covered tube exit (left or right)

      REI advertises the Pinnacle as a "technical" pack suitable for carrying climbing gear - and although I am not a climber I appreciate all the versatility available in the many straps and attachment points on the top, sides, and bottom.

      This pack will be a bit heavier than the "ultralights" now available, but I like knowing that I can set it down on the ground and not have to worry too much about it getting damaged under normal circumstances. We don't get a lot of rain in my part of Colorado, so I haven't been able to thoroughly test its waterproofness; however, the rolltop closure for the top compartment, covered zippers on the front, and good seams have kept out many snowfalls and some drizzles on the trail. (I do carry a separate raincover for the pack if needed.) I have not had any trouble with zippers, but I treat them gently and lubricate them from time to time to keep them running smoothly.

      After approximately 350 trail miles (over approximately 70 hiking days) and carrying loads of 15-20 pounds, I have seen no significant signs of wear; all of the critical attachment areas (belt, shoulder straps) look good as new. There is one place near the bottom of the pack where the fabric abraded and needed to be patched, but that was my fault for not watching that spruce branch I ducked under! The hip belt has plenty of padding for me, as do the shoulder straps. The shoulder straps have a nice feature found on full-size backpacks: I can adjust the "lift" of the pack toward or away from my back, depending on the load I'm carrying; I've been keeping it in the middle position, which seems most comfortable for me. For anyone wanting to reduce weight, both the hip belt (via velcro) and the internal backplate are removable; I like both very much, so I'll be leaving them in. Even in our dry climate I sweat on a hot climb, but the pack allows some air flow between it and my back. You will feel more moisture than with a mesh-suspension style, but for me that feature was not necessary. A detail that I really appreciated was that all of the buckles and straps work well with gloved hands, and shed snow easily so they are accessible at all times. Some of the buckles are the "cam" type that will hold your strap tight without loosening while hiking.

      Another feature I really like is the side-access zipper for the main compartment, which means I don't have to unroll the top and root around for stuff - I can just see grab it from the side. There are two large gear loops in the inside; I use one for hanging a small bag with things I only occasionally need, which keeps it out of the way of binoculars, gaitors, etc. There is a small zippered outside pocket just below the rolltop closure, which I use for a first-aid kit.

      While not a primary consideration for me, I am happy with the color - light blue with yellow highlights. The only option on this pack is torso size, medium or large. By REI's method of measurement I was on the fence between them, so I opted for the large and it fits me well. (I am 5 ft 6 in (1.7 m) and of average build and torso)

      I have made two customizations to my pack from the stock model. There is a small zippered pocket on the right-hand side of the hip belt, for items like a watch, lip balm, etc. Last winter I created an additional zippered pocket from ripstop material and attached it to the left side of the hip belt with velcro around the existing equipment hanger. The other modification is a pocket that goes inside the front compartment (the one with the vertical yellow zipper). I like to organize my smaller stuff such as pencils, notepad, and maps, keeping them separate from food. After sewing up a sleeve scavenged from an old pack, I used a combination of velcro and pop-rivets to attach it securely inside but easily accessible from the yellow zipper.

      Since I haven't purchased a new day pack for a long time I wasn't used to current prices, but at US$129 MSRP I am very happy with the quality and usefulness of the REI Pinnacle, and expect to be hiking with it for at least a decade, making it an excellent value. If any defects do turn up, the manufacturer (REI, Inc.) is well-known for standing by their products with exchange, refund, or credit options.

      Review By:

      Bob Dorenfeld
      Southern Colorado Rocky Mountains

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23 9:42 PM

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , May 8, 2013
          Hello Bob

          Welcome to BackpackGearTest and thank you for this, your first Owner Review. You did a very good job on it (even though it looks like you have a lot of edits;-) I will be your editor for this review. Your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

          Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form. If you want a better set of lessons email me. (Link is to the right under my name.)

          A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

          Ray

          ***LOCATION: Salida, CO

          EDIT: please spell out the state for the benefit of our international readers, add "USA" also

          ***I'm an active hiker, snowshoer, skier (nordic & alpine), backpacker.

          EDIT: Nordic (needs a cap, look for all instances of this please.)

          I live at 7000' in the Southern Colorado Rockies where most of my activities are between 7000 and 14000 feet. I'll do day hikes from 4 to 12 miles, which can range up
          to 5000 feet of elevation change. I carry 15-20 lbs on day hikes, about 45 lbs
          on backpacks.

          EDIT: you need Metric (or Imperial) conversions for all measurements, weights, distances, etc. Please use lb instead of lbs for pounds.

          ***Manufacturer: REI, Inc.

          EDIT: please spell out their full name at least the first time, putting (REI) after it. Then you can use REI for the rest of the review.

          ***Option: Available in M or L torso size

          EDIT: what size are you reviewing?

          *** "http://www.rei.com/product/816105/rei-pinnacle-35-pack"

          EDIT: no links are allowed except for the manufacturer's top-level URL.

          *** and they stayed in place when tighly strapped.

          EDIT: tightly

          ***so my day pack needs to stay tight to my back and waist, and not not
          tear or rip easily.

          EDIT: delete one "not"

          - I can quickly strap my hiking pole at one of 2 or 3 different places,
          depending on what else is on the pack

          Comment: this is a place that you could add a lot for the reader by explaining just how/where you have been able to carry the poles.

          ***- extra gear can be attached on top with with the straps provided

          EDIT: delete one "with"

          ***- inner pocket that easily fits my 3 L (3.17 qt) water bladder, plus covered
          tube exit (left or right)

          Comment: water containers are the only item that they don't require a conversion number. It is fine to have it but if you don't want one it is OK too.

          ***After approximately 350 trail miles (over approximately 70 hiking days) and
          carrying loads of 15-20 pounds,

          EDIT: need the conversions here though.

          *** For anyone wanting to reduce weight,

          EDIT: rather than project your thoughts to the reader (or everybody else but you) keep this in the first person by saying: "if I want to remove weight, both the hip belt.."

          *** (via velcro) and the internal backplate are removable

          EDIT: Velcro is a trademarked name and is thus capitalized. But unless you know that it is Velcro you should just call it hook-and-loop

          *** You will feel more moisture than with a mesh-suspension style

          EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s, just "me" and "I". Here is my canned explanation.

          Projection

          "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

          This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not ourselves. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

          We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

          "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

          *** Some of the buckles are the "cam" type that will hold your strap tight

          EDIT: the "your" thing, see above ;-)

          *** I only occasionally need, which keeps it out of the way of binoculars, gaitors,

          EDIT: gaiters