Edit - K-Way Advance 85 - Jaco-Chris Koorts

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13 2:50 PM
      Jaco-Chris,

      Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org, and thanks for your Owner Review. I look forward to working with you to get it ready for posting. Right now we have no testers from South Africa, and I'm anxious to remedy that.

      Your Review includes almost all of the information needed for an Owner Review (OR), a rare thing for a first try. However I see a number of organizational issues, which I'll list below with reference to yours. You need to re-read BGT's Survival Guide (on the website) for how properly to format an OR. I suggest that you also take a look at some ORs on backpacks on the site. These will illustrate y commentary below. Take a look at mine on the ULA Catalyst and Jacob Kokura's on the MEC Ibex as examples of similar packs.

      After revising as I request below, you need to do two things. Post the html version of the Report in the Tests/Owner Reviews folder on BackpackGearTest.org, and post the plain text version here, with "Repost," the product name, and your name in the subject line, and with a tinyurl link to the html version in the body of your message.

      If you have any questions, do contact me directly (off-list) at Montana DOT angler AT gmail DOT com.

      Cheers, Richard Lyon
      BGT Editor

      ###Owner review: K-Way Advance 85 hiking backpack*### [Title]
      Titles are three lines – product name on the first line, Owner Review by [your name] on the second, and the date on the third.

      ###Height: 1.75m (5' 9")

      Weight: 78kg (171.96 Pounds) ###
      BGT has its own conventions on reporting measurements and temperatures. Most are listed at the bottom of the conversion table on BGT's website. Some examples: a space between the amount and the unit [78 kg, not 78kg] and always singular [171.96 lb, not pounds or lbs]. Please revise accordingly throughout your Review.

      ### The backpack is available for delivery via internet purchase from Cape Union Mart (or any other outdoor supplier's) website, in this case it would be delivered in a big cardboard with stuffing inside the backpack. Alternatively you could go directly to your nearest outdoor store and purchase the backpack from there, and, if you're anything like me, the bag would leave the shop on your back already (so no need for packaging there)!###
      Two BGT issues here. First, we don't report on packaging or source of a product. Some of our older Test Series include these items, but we've changed. Second, and more importantly, our ORs and Test Series are limited to personal observations – what the writer has experienced. We don't allow what we call "projection," speculating on what might occur in other circumstances or to other users of the product. Any use of the second person [you or your] raises projection issues. Try to avoid that. Most of your use of the second person could be replaced by your own experience. Keep this in mind when you revise. Example: "This sleek 85 litre backpack is the ideal tool if you're going to be out in the mountains for at least a week, " simply substitute "I'm" for "you're." Sometimes projection must be deleted, when the writer opines upon something he's not experienced. Example: "Even
      though the bag is listed as unisex on Cape Union Mart's website, in my
      experience the bag is a little too bulky and cumbersome for most females."

      ###*Field report* ###
      ORs have Field Conditions and Performance sections. Each is a single report on the product – no follow-up and not a series. Our Test Series [of gear supplied by the manufacturer] have two or three parts. Check out the examples I cited above. Please revise.

      ###so the weather was fine, yet cool in the evenings, with rain falling intermittently on two of the days. ###
      BGT requires a bit more specificity with field condition descriptions, particularly a temperature range.