OWNER REVIEW - SALOMON QUEST 4D GTX HIKING BOOTS WOMEN'S

  • kenadle
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2013
      SALOMON QUEST 4D GTX HIKING BOOTS W
      BY KENDALL STORY
      OR
      April 11, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kendall Story
      EMAIL: kendallynn DOT story AT gmail DOT com
      AGE: 28
      LOCATION: Orick, CA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Salomon
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.salomon.com/us/
      MSRP: US$230
      Listed Weight: 41.5 oz (1177 g)
      Size Tested: 9W US
      Color tested: Deep Blue
      Other COlors Available: Brown, Gray
      Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years

      •Split suede leather and nylon mesh uppers
      •Seam-sealed Gore-Tex® membranes
      •Rubber toe caps and heel slings
      •Padded, gusseted tongues
      •Wicking polyester linings
      •Removable Ortholite® footbeds
      •Dual-density EVA midsoles
      •4D Advanced Chassis™ thermoplastic urethane midsole
      •Contagrip® rubber outsoles

      FIRST IMPRESSIONS

      I purchased these boots in February 2012. Although they were not very stiff upon first trying them on, I decided it was a good idea to wear them around town before my first big trek. First impressions were that they were comfortable, relatively light for their size, fit true to size, and were very sturdy. I had some initial worries about the tightness of the boot around my ankles/heels, however after some trial and error in readjusting the laces, they fit very comfortably. I wore them to work in the field for a few months, going up and down rocky slopes and into very slick, muddy areas near creeks and drainage ditches. Temperatures ranged from 40-90+ degrees F (4-32 degrees C). They worked great - no hot spots, good amount of flex (but not too much), waterproof, and they were very breathable.

      FIELD USE

      In June 2012, I wore them for my first backpacking trip on the Lost Coast for what was supposed to be a three day trip. Due to some unforeseen equipment malfunctions (not the boots luckily), I turned back at mile 7 on day one. This did allow me to judge how prone I would be to blisters, however, because I did a respectable 14 miles through dry sand. If I were ever going to get a blister, it would have happened then. I was just starting to get some hot spots around the edge of my big toe and the outside edge of my heel, however they were very minor. The gussets around the tongue worked perfect, my feet were totally dry and clean at the end of the day, and relatively comfortable.

      Since then I've worn these boots on a pretty regular basis. They probably have between 200-300 miles on them. The suede uppers show some signs of wear, especially creasing where the boot bends. I applied NikWax Nubuck & Suede treatment in Dec 2012 to prepare for a wet and rough winter in Humboldt County, CA. It has been a dry winter, however the boots have still been put to the test and pass with flying colors. I've brushed them every now and then to remove excess mud and have set them up on a heated boot dryer once (it was an extremely wet day, and although my feet stayed dry, the outer boot was soaked). My feet do not overheat in the summer, and they stay warm in the winter. My only concern is how long they will last, given that the break in period was basically nonexistent and they are already showing some signs of wear. It is a softer booth which I guess means it has its own advantages and disadvantages. I also noticed that the soles don't grip as much as I'd like, especially on slick surfaces, so I roughened up the bottoms a bit with a knife. I'm not sure it helped, though.

      SUMMARY

      The Salomon Quest 4D GTX is a very nice boot for someone who might be new to backpacking or someone that goes a few times a year, as the break in period is almost nonexistent and they are a great multi-purpose boot. Great for avid backpackers or through hikers as well, just unsure of the longevity. I highly recommend them.

      THINGS I LIKE

      High quality materials
      Great craftsmanship
      Seriously comfortable
      Breathable
      Sturdy
      No break in period
      Nice lacing system

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Sole of the boot does not grip as much as I expected it to
      Personal preference, but I don't like the deep blue color. This was the only option in 2012, but now they have more neutral gray and brown options.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2013

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25, 2013
          Hello Kendall,

          Welcome to BackpackGearTest and thank you for this, your first Owner Review. I will be your editor for this review. Your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

          Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

          A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

          Ray

          ***OR

          EDIT: please spell out Owner Review as the readers may not know what "OR" means. (This is fine here at the group site to cut down on words in the subject line.)

          ***LOCATION: Orick, CA

          EDIT: please spell out the state for the benefit of our international readers

          ***Manufacturer: Salomon

          EDIT: here we want the actual legal name: Salomon SAS

          ***Listed Weight: 41.5 oz (1177 g)

          Edit: where are you finding a listed weight? I can't find one on the Solomon site. Was it on the box?

          ***Other COlors Available: Brown, Gray

          EDIT: change "o" in colors to lower case

          •Split suede leather and nylon mesh uppers
          •Seam-sealed Gore-Tex® membranes
          •Rubber toe caps and heel slings
          •Padded, gusseted tongues
          •Wicking polyester linings
          •Removable Ortholite® footbeds
          •Dual-density EVA midsoles
          •4D Advanced Chassis™ thermoplastic urethane midsole
          •Contagrip® rubber outsoles

          EDIT: the product description is an important part of our reviews. We ask that the item be described in your own words. We do not want (or allow) the description just to be pasted in from the manufacturer's web site. I will send you a better set of lessons that explain the process much better than the current ones. Also look at the reviews already published by veteran writers for examples of what is wanted.

          I will stop here and let you go through the guide. Apply what you learn to not only the description but the rest of your review also. When you have gone through your review REPOST here and we will carry on.
        • kenadle
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25, 2013
            Thanks for the Edits. I'll be out of town the next few days so I might not get to this until next week. Thanks!

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013
              RAY - Kendall Story(1) - SALOMON QUEST 4D GTX HIKING BOOTS W – Posted Apr 12 (msg#82068), Taken Apr 25, Edit Apr 25(82105), Follow-up Jun 2

              Hi Kendall,

              I hope we didn't scare you off. Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Ray back on April 25. Please refer to message number 82105 at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/messages

              Editors Team Director
            • Kendall Story
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013
                I really wanted to make this work but I'm finding myself too busy to set
                aside time to do reviews. Hopefully circumstances will change and I can
                continue the review, but for now I need to put it on pause.

                Thanks!

                --
                Kendall Story

                "The More You Know The Less You Need"