Edit/Approval - Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-60 - Ed morse

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2013
      Ed,

      You've just earned a Brownie Point. Excellent, easy-to-read, and informative OR, and the photos are great. Some edits, in the usual EDIT/Edit/Comment format. After revising you may upload to http://tinyurl.com/bpw4jkx Don't forget to delete your Tests folder copy.

      With your next OR could you include a tinyurl to the Tests/OR folder copy? Thanks.

      Cheers, Richard
      ### DELORME PN-60 GPS ### [Title]
      EDIT: DELORME EARTHMATE GPS PN-60 [That's what Delorme calls it. OK to use the shorthand PN-60 reference everywhere else.]]

      ###TORSO 18 in (46 cm)
      CHEST 35 in (89 cm)
      WAIST 36 in (91 cm) ###
      EDIT: These don't impact GPS usage, so should be deleted.

      ### Device dimensions: 2.43 in W x 5.25 in H x 1.5 in D (6.17 cm W x 13.34 cm H x
      3.81 cm D)
      Display screen dimensions: 1.35 in W x 1.69 in H (3.4 cm W x 4.3 cm H)###
      Edit: "in W," "in H," and "in D" are unnecessary. I'd delete them.

      ###Acquisition Times, according to DeLorme:
      " " Hot Start: 5-6 seconds
      " " Warm Start: < 45 seconds
      " " Cold Start: < 60 seconds
      I have not attempted to check this.###
      Edit/Comment: Care to add a comment on your experience? Even if not measured or even particularly scientific, your general observation would be of interest to our readers.

      ###Large billboards or building will also bend or deflect the sattelite signals. ###
      EDIT: satellite [spelling]

      ###Operating temperature range for the PN-60 is -20 degrees C to +75 degrees C.###
      EDIT: Listed operating temperature range [I assume you haven't tested at -20 or +75 C.]
      EDIT: Need Fahrenheit conversions.
      EDIT: Delete "Degrees" [twice]

      ###The PN-60 is the third in the series I've purchased and used. ###
      EDIT: in the Earthmate series

      ###There are nine buttons near the bottom and below the screen, some are direct
      commands for action and others are for moving around and within various pages.
      The buttons have different actions depending on which page is displayed, some of
      the buttons have different results depending how long they are held down. ###
      Edit: Your meaning is clear so you don't have to change, but strict grammar would call for changing the commas to semicolons, as there is a complete sentence on either side of the punctuation.

      ###The PN-60 GPS receiver is a feature rich device. ###
      Edit: feature-rich [with a hyphen]

      ###When I first turned on my new PN-60 receiver I was asked to emter my name.###
      EDIT: enter [spelling]

      ###Since early November I have done at least 50 day hikes, or about three each
      week. ###
      EDIT: Need to connect this sentence to the PN-60. "at least 50 day hikes with the PN-60" or "I have carried the PN-60 on at least . . ." would work.

      ### Perhaps a good way to explain the use of the PN-60 is to review the the steps I
      follow on a typical hike.###
      EDIT: Delete the extra "the."

      ###When I get to a trail head to start a hike###
      Edit: trailhead [one word]

      ### When I'm backpacking I refer to the Sun and Moon page so I know the time of sun rise and sun set.###
      Edit: sunrise and sunset [each one word]

      ###Most of the problems I have with unit can be solved with a little study of the
      PN-60 Manual I downloaded from the internet. ###
      Comment: Ah, c'mon Ed, reading the instructions takes all the fun out of it.

      ###There is a learning curve - the operation of the PN-60 is not easy for me to learn ###
      EDIT: was not easy [You're talking about the past.]
    • Edwin Morse
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12, 2013
        Richard,
        Thanks for catching my blunders. I should have caught most myself.

        Corrections made, new HTML uploaded and old removed from Owner Review
        folder.

        Ed

        _____