OWNER REVIEW - K-WAY ADVANCE 85

  • Jaco-Chris Koorts
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2013
      *Owner review: K-Way Advance 85 hiking backpack*

      *Biographical information: Jaco-Chris Koorts*

      Name: Jaco-Chris Koorts

      Age: 25

      Gender: Male

      Height: 1.75m (5� 9�)

      Weight: 78kg (171.96 Pounds)

      E-mail address: jacockoorts@...

      City: Cape Town

      State: Western Cape

      Country: South Africa

      Date: 5 April 2013

      Backpacking background: Adventure-junky, I have been back-packing from
      around the age of 9 or 10. I frequently hike over weekends and I try to go
      on 5-day hikes at least three times per year. I aim for an efficiently
      packed backpack, but I don�t sacrifice gear for a lighter backpack. I
      normally hike in mountainous terrain, and I have hiked in circumstances
      varying from knee-deep snow to semi-arid desert. On top of hiking, I am
      also an avid mountain-biker and trail-runner.

      *Product information*

      Manufacturer: Cape Union Mart (K-Way)

      Year of manufacture: 2012

      URL to website of manufacturer: http://www.capeunionmart.co.za

      Product: K-Way Advance 85

      Listed weight: 3kg (6.61 pounds)

      Weight as delivered: 3.1kg (6.83 pounds)

      Colour: Blue and grey

      Capacity: 85 litres (5 187.02 cu in)

      Classification of backpack: K-Way Expedition Series

      Handy features of the backpack:

      � Hiking pole loops

      � A large zipper that provides instant access to the backpack�s
      main compartment

      � A huge splash cover that�s big enough to cover the whole pack,
      even if it is filled to the brim

      � K-Way�s Air-vantage back system, which promotes a flow of air and
      prevents your back from sweating profusely where the backpack and your back
      meet

      � Water-proof design (material and all of the external zippers).

      The backpack is available for delivery via internet purchase from Cape
      Union Mart (or any other outdoor supplier�s) website, in this case it would
      be delivered in a big cardboard with stuffing inside the backpack.
      Alternatively you could go directly to your nearest outdoor store and
      purchase the backpack from there, and, if you�re anything like me, the bag
      would leave the shop on your back already (so no need for packaging
      there)! It does not have any removable parts so no assembly required.

      This sleek 85 litre backpack is the ideal tool if you�re going to be out in
      the mountains for at least a week, or if you�re planning to go on that epic
      backpacking tour you�ve been planning all your life. In the words of Cape
      Union Mart: �the Advance 85 is the perfect companion for that
      extra-ordinary expedition�.

      The backpack is a top-/panel-loading pack, with a heavy-duty, waterproofed
      zipper running down the face of the main compartment. The pack does not
      appear to have any external side-pockets. However, these are neatly tucked
      away to form part of the body of the pack, which are useful because in
      narrow spaces there�s nothing sticking out from the sides of the pack, but
      if the pack is fully loaded, these �side pockets� become difficult to
      access. The pack is made of durable, water-proof material. I have had the
      bag for a while, so I do not have the technical composition of the
      materials used to manufacture the bag anymore (and it doesn�t seem to be on
      the internet as well), but it has never let me down.

      The pack has extra pockets at its top and the bottom. The top pocket is
      adjustable and accessed by means of a waterproof zipper and underneath the
      lid is a mesh pocket that is handy for storing items that you want to
      access quickly, even in the dark (top tip: this is a good place to keep an
      emergency roll of toilet paper). The bottom pocket is big enough to hold a
      sleeping bag and an inflatable mattress.

      The main compartment of the pack contains no organisational pockets, which
      is a bit of a problem, since the immense size of the pack means can easily
      cause you to lose something small, like a pair of socks. Its enormity,
      however, also means that you can practically always fit something in there
      � which of course means no more excuses to not buy all of your friends
      souvenirs from your backpacking adventures.

      *Field report*

      I have used the pack on a few occasions, so writing about all of them will
      take a while. I will write about a specific expedition here and refer to
      some of the others in my long-term report.

      *Field location and conditions*

      I used the pack on South Africa�s most popular hiking route, the Otter
      Trail. This 5-day route is situated in the Garden Route, a beautiful piece
      of coastline known for its majestic beaches, big waves and lush indigenous
      forests.

      The Otter Trail brings you into contact with all of these (and some sea
      otters, if you�re lucky) and is a tricky route because of the dramatic
      changes in scenery and sudden gains and losses in altitude. We went in
      early spring, so the weather was fine, yet cool in the evenings, with rain
      falling intermittently on two of the days.

      I set out with my pack weighing in at around 25kg, and even with such a
      heavy load the pack remained comfortable � even on steep uphill and
      downhill walking. I am not the most organised hiker so the lack of small
      compartments inside the main bag did not bother me all that much, but this
      could be a potential problem to someone who enjoys have his/her
      toothbrush, toothpaste and floss in three separate little pockets.

      The most exciting (and most tricky) part of the route is on the fourth day,
      when you have to cross the mouth of the Bloukrans (Afrikaans: Blue Cliff)
      river. This is a dangerous crossing, which can only be attempted at low
      tide. It entails waterproofing your pack (most commonly by means of a
      waterproof survival bag) and swimming to a little sandy shore on the other
      side of the mouth, which is surrounded by sheer rock face, fighting a
      current that�s trying to pull you into the sea, all the while praying that
      the sharks for which the mouth is renowned for are either sleeping or have
      just had lunch. Doesn�t seem safe to you? Believe me it isn�t� but TIA
      (this is Africa)!

      Thinking that my already waterproof pack wouldn�t give me problems, I made
      it float on its splash cover and swam it over like a raft in front of me.
      This was fairly effective, except for a bit of human error which caused the
      bottom compartment to get wet. Luckily no train smash and I were able to
      continue hiking without delay.

      *Summary*

      All in all I was very impressed with the performance of the pack. One day
      was done with frequent rain and the waterproofing worked very effectively.
      The large capacity of the bag and its sturdy build makes it ideal for a
      hike like this.

      * *

      *Long term report*

      I have used the bag extensively for the past two years, doing most of South
      Africa and Namibia�s iconic trips, including the Drakensberg mountains, the
      Amatola mountain range, the Cederberg and the Fish River Canyon (and, of
      course, Table Mountain numerous times).

      I have also used it to backpack through Zanzibar, Tanzania and Malawi and
      even Darkest Africa couldn�t place a dent into this bag�s stride.

      Never once had the bag halted my progress or my mobility. It is still in
      very good condition, although you can see that it has been used quite a bit
      now.

      *Summary*

      I would recommend the K-Way Advance 85 to the serious hikers who find their
      current bag always just that little bit too small to fit in everything that
      they want to take with them on a hike or a backpacking holiday. Even
      though the bag is listed as unisex on Cape Union Mart�s website, in my
      experience the bag is a little too bulky and cumbersome for most females.

      Things I like:

      1. The hip belt is very comfortable and built to take a heavy load

      2. The bag, overall, performs very well under heavy loads

      3. Its enormity � you can take the kitchen sink with you on your next
      trip if you have one of these

      4. Its durability, although one should be careful when putting it
      onto your back, as putting too much strain on the area where the shoulder
      straps connect to the pack have caused little tears in mine.

      Things I don�t:

      1. The side pockets are difficult to access when the pack is fully
      loaded

      2. There are no pockets on the hip belt to put small things in, like
      a notebook or energy bars

      3. There is a sleeve for a hydration pack but no hole in the pack for
      the bladder�s pipe to go through (note: apparently this has been fixed in
      the new version of the pack)

      4. There are no internal organisational pockets in the main pack,
      which could cause you to lose your toothbrush if it gets mixed up with the
      rest of your gear (or even yourself, if you�re not careful).

    • jacochris.koorts

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2013

          Editors Team Director
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2013
            RICHARD - Jaco-Chris Koorts(1) - Cape Union Mart Advance 85 hiking backpack - Posted Apr 5 (msg#82059 & 82059), Taken Apr 13, Edit Apr 13(82080), Follow-up Jun 2

            Hi Jaco-Chris,

            I hope we didn't scare you off. Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Richard back on April 13. Please refer to message number 82080 at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/messages

            Editors Team Director