EDIT - SealLine Boundary Pack - James Asher Jr.

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2013
      James, Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org, and thanks for your Owner Review. I look forward to working with you to get it ready for posting.

      My edits below are in standard BGT format:

      EDIT (all caps) – required change
      Edit (initial cap) – suggested change or request for clarification
      Comment – just that, no change required

      You'll see that almost all of my comments address BackpackGearTest.org conventions. I suggest you re-read the "How to Become a Tester" section of BGT's website regarding some of these; others are listed at the bottom of the Conversion Table on the site. Keep these (and my edits) in mind; you may wish to clean up the other two ORs you submitted prior to their being edited. I should say that these are easy clean-ups and that otherwise your Review is in very good shape, a great start.

      After revising you need to do two things. Post the html version of the Report in the Tests/Owner Reviews folder on BackpackGearTest.org, and post the plain text version here, with "Repost," the product name, and your name in the subject line, and with a tinyurl link to the html version in the body of your message. This is particularly important because of numerous "Yahooisms" in the plain text [not your fault, but I need to see the Review without them] and because we require photographs with any Owner Review.

      Cheers, Richard Lyon
      BGT Editor

      ### SealLine Boundary Pack- 115L capacity, color: black###
      EDIT: BGT convention #1 – Title should be product name on the first line, preferably in bold, upper case, different color, or other means of emphasis, and "Owner Review by [author]" on the second line. Move the capacity and the color of yours to the Product Information section.

      ###Email address: james@...###
      Edit: I recommend writing this out [james AT . . .] to discourages spammers.

      ### Backpacking Background:###
      EDIT: BGT Convention #2 – We have a one hundred-word limit on this section. You are at 104, and that will increase as a result of the next EDIT. I'm moderately flexible on 100, though some of my Edit Team colleagues are not. Taking account of the next EDIT (immediately below) see if you can reduce this section to the magic number.
      EDIT: BGT Convention #3 - Any measurement, including distance, requires both metric and Imperial amounts, so the "1720 miles" and "9,000 mile" need conversions. My suggestion would be to delete both, which will by itself get you down below 100 without sacrificing meaning - any reader knows that it's a long way across Peru or from England to Mongolia.
      Comment: EDITs aside, I found your bio both informative and interesting. Keep up that writing style when you revise.

      ### Manufacturer: SealLine (Cascade Designs) ###
      EDIT: BGT Convention #4 – on this line (though nowhere else) it's the manufacturer's full legal name – Cascade Designs, Inc.

      EDIT: BGT Convention #5 – The address and link should be to the manufacturer's home page.

      ### Listed weight: 3lbs 6oz (1530g) for the 115L-6390cu in capacity model.###
      EDIT: BGT Convention #6 – Any measurement should be the number, followed by a space, followed by the approved abbreviation, which is always singular. So 3 lb 6 oz (1530 g) and 115 L – 6390 cu in. Please revise all your measurements accordingly.

      ### MSRP: $109.95 ###
      EDIT: BGT Convention #7 - $109.95 US [Several other countries use dollars too.]

      ### The 115L SealLine Boundary Pack comes folded and secured in a cardboard frame. All straps and buckles are already attached to the bag in their proper configuration. Included are the shoulder straps with an adjoining chest strap, corresponding buckles, and a brief instruction manual with a diagram detailing strap placement and product care.###
      EDIT: BGT Convention #8 – No need to include packaging, so the first sentence should be deleted. Keep the others though, as they include useful information to a prospective buyer.

      ### When rolled-up properly and cinched down tightly the bag is essentially water-tight, ###
      EDIT: "water-tight" admits of no degrees. Just as one can't be a little bit pregnant, a product is water-tight or it isn't. Delete "essentially," as your Review indicates that in your experience it is watertight.

      ### Weather conditions for September 2011 were hot and humid,
      interrupted by occasional thunderstorms and heavy rains. ###
      EDIT: BGT Convention #9 – BGT requires some specificity when describing weather and other field conditions. Please add a temperature range, altitude, and duration of the thunderstorms. Same goes for the Sapelo Island section. Don't forget conversions.

      ### If overloaded with heavy items it could become uncomfortable over long distances and/or for extended periods of time, but the
      straps were adequate for loads under 25lbs. It is not intended as a long-range pack for extended hiking excursions, but for short trips on foot in wet or muddy environments I'd take this bag along as a necessity. ###
      EDIT: BGT Convention #10 – Projection. BGT limits its Reviews and Test Reports to personal (the writer's) experience and observations; speculating on what someone else might find or what you might find in other conditions is prohibited. This paragraph has valuable information, and I think you can revise based upon your own experience to account for all the points you make.

      ### Nothing ever spilled out, and, if packed conscientiously,
      items left at the top could be easily retrieved when necessary.###
      EDIT: More projection. "I could easily retrieve items left at the top when necessary" after "conscientiously" would be OK.

      ### but none of its contents were ever exposed to the weather, mud, road dust or the gasoline, ###
      EDIT: was ever exposed ["none" takes a singular verb.]

      ### 3. Easy to pack and unpack, especially if you use a mesh bag as a liner.###
      Comment: While OK here, be wary of any use of the second person (you and your), which often equates to projection. Better to say "if I use"

      ###3. Buckles may be susceptible to cracking or breaking ###
      EDIT: This is projection. You don't mention cracking buckles in your Review. Either add some text above about your own experience or say "I worry that buckles . . ."
    • jdasherjr81
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2013
        Richard,

        Thanks for your assistance and recommendations for my first review! I've completed the edits as per your suggestions but have a few more questions about the submission process.

        I'm still a little unclear as to the proper way to submit via the website, but I have uploaded an html file to the "test" folder section as I didn't see any folders for SealLine products.

        I've posted the plain text version (copied from the html file) of the review in this message but fear I'll still have those "Yahooisms" until I master the process. I don't yet know how to include a url link for the html file...

        SealLine Boundary Pack
        Owner Review by James Dillion Asher, Jr.
        Reviewer Information
        Name: James Dillion Asher Jr.
        Age: 31

Gender: Male

Height: 5' 7" (1.7 meters)

        Weight: 145 lbs (65 kilos)

Email address: james@.....org
        City: Fort Collins
        State: Colorado
        Country: USA

        Date: March 30, 2013

        Backpacking Background: I've spent a significant amount of time outdoors working as a research geologist in the field under a variety of weather conditions and environments. I've traversed mountains, swamps, tropical island interiors and coastlines and even crawled around inside caves. I'm also an avid traveler and amateur adventurer- I've driven 1720 mi (2770 km) across Peru on a 3-wheeled motorcycle taxi and will soon embark on a lengthy 40-day car camping trip from England to Mongolia. I might not always be backpacking, but give me a piece of equipment and I guarantee I will put it through its paces!
        Product Information:

Manufacturer: Cascade Designs, Inc.
        Year of Manufacture: 2012
        Listed weight: 3 lb 6oz (1530 g)
        Capacity: 6390 cu in (115 L)
        Dimensions: 12.5 in x 18.5 in x 30 in (32 cm x 47 cm x 76 cm)
        Item Color: Black
        Other colors available: Yellow, Green, Blue
        MSRP: $109.95 US

        The 115L SealLine Boundary Pack comes with all straps and buckles attached to the bag in their proper configuration. Included are the shoulder straps with an adjoining chest strap, corresponding snap buckles, and a brief instruction manual with a diagram detailing strap placement and product care.
        The SealLine Boundary functions as a backpack-portable, waterproof and watertight dry storage bag. Sealing the bag is accomplished by pinching the top of the bag together, forcing out any excess air, rolling the top of the bag downwards at least once, and then buckling the ends securely to the sides. The more wraps achieved while rolling the bag closed, the better the seal. When rolled-up properly and cinched down tightly the bag is water-tight, and the reinforced rubberized skin is impervious to water or moisture getting into or out of the bag.
        Field Information: I've used SealLine's Boundary Pack under extended and particularly demanding conditions on two occasions, the first being on a ten-day field research expedition to Sapelo Island, Georgia, and the second on a month-long trip across Peru. Those locations and subsequent product performance are as follows.
        -Sapelo Island lies on the Georgia Atlantic coastline of the U.S., with an interior covered by pine forest and surrounded on three sides by tidal creeks and coastal marsh. Weather conditions for September 2011 were hot and humid at 80 to 95 deg F (27 to 35 deg C), interrupted by occasional thunderstorms and heavy rains for periods of 2-4 hours. Terrain consisted of marshlands and tidal sand bars, with transport to and from location by boat. Hikes were typically one to two hours through wet and muddy conditions, with some waist-deep wading. Tides were semi-diurnal (two high and two low tides over a 24 hour period) with a range of approximately 8 ft (2.5 meters) above sea level.
        -Performance at Sapelo Island, GA: each morning and evening, for ten days, the bag accompanied me on lengthy boat cruises and performed beautifully. Its rugged design withstood constant battering and abrasion aboard a cramped watercraft with all sorts of loose equipment rolling around. When closed securely it kept contents dry and protected from the elements, which ranged from sea spray to thunderstorms and torrential downpours. Though the bag frequently marinated in bilgewater for hours at a time, lying in the bottom of the boat until something inside it was needed, I never experienced any problems with the contents getting wet. Hikes using the bag as a pack were relatively short, typically less than a half mile at a time through marshland, but its rubberized shell, shoulder straps and chest buckle were an absolute necessity given the conditions and unstable terrain. When loaded with heavier items it would become uncomfortable over long distances and/or for extended periods of use, but the straps were adequate for loads under 25 lb (11 kg).
        -Peru exhibits nearly every type of climate and terrain imaginable, and I can safely say I experienced all of them while traveling from Piura, on the northern coastline, to Urubamba in the southern mountains in late September of 2012. Weather conditions ranged from hot and dry, hot and humid to cold and wet, and included rain, snow and even hail. Temperatures ranged from 25 to 90 deg F (-4 to 32 deg C) and elevations from 100 to 14,000 ft (30 to 4270 meters). Terrain crossed consisted of desert, arid coastal lowlands, lowland jungle, wet highlands, dry highlands, and alpine. For this trip the bag was used almost exclusively as luggage, secured to the back of an open 3-wheeled motorcycle taxi on a 1720 mi (2768 km) 14-day road trip. When not traveling on the road the bag was used as a backpack for short periods over the course of two weeks.
        -Performance in Peru: for the first week the bag stayed on my back as I jumped from hostel to hostel in Lima. Weighing in at 32 lbs (14.5 kg) given the contents, the bag was manageable for an hour or so at a time, but occasional breaks were necessary to relieve discomfort. The bag's simple, sleek and rugged design proved advantageous for repeated taxicab rides and use as a checked bag on airline flights. Nothing ever spilled out and when I had packed conscientiously I could easily retrieve items from the top when needed. Following a flight to the city of Piura, the bag was strapped to the back of a motorcycle taxi and became a piece of weather-proof luggage for a two week journey across the country. It was removed every night and replaced each morning, sometimes carried out on short excursions, but generally remained on the back of the mototaxi for at least 12 hours each day. By the end of the trip the bag was filthy, reeked of gasoline that had leaked from a spare can, was thoroughly scratched and scraped and had one small puncture, but none of its contents was ever exposed to the weather, mud, road dust or the gasoline, at any point during the trip. It again reverted to use as a large pack for another week before making a return trip to the U.S. as checked luggage.
        Summary
        The SealLine Boundary Pack is a rugged, durable, reliable and convenient top-loading weatherproof and waterproof backpack for short-range backpacking and/or outdoor activity under the most extreme environmental conditions. Its especially well suited to extended outdoor exposure in wet, sandy and/or muddy conditions, motorcycle and boat travel (kayaking, canoeing, etc). Available in a variety of colors and sizes, there are plenty of options for both style preference and cargo capacity.
        Things I like:
        1. Extremely durable, rugged, waterproof and water-tight rubberized design.
        2.
Roll-up top makes storage capacity more flexible as items are added/removed.
        3. Easy to pack and unpack.
        4. Low-maintenance, easy clean up and repair (if punctured).
        5. Backpack straps are a big plus when compared to duffels and dry sacks.
        Things I dislike:
        1.
Shoulder straps and chest strap inadequate for extended use or excessive weight.
        2. Dry weight of 3lbs 6oz (1530g) means it's a bit on the heavy side.
        3. I worry that the buckles may be susceptible to cracking or breaking
      • jdasherjr81
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 14, 2013
          http://tinyurl.com/c5qtrzq

          Date: April 14, 2013

          Reviewer Information
          Name: James Dillion Asher Jr.
          Age: 31

Gender: Male

Height: 5' 7" (1.7 meters)

          Weight: 145 lb (65 kg)

[...]

          Measured weight: 3 lb 7 oz. (1559 g)
          Capacity: 6390 cu in (115 L)
          Listed Dimensions: 12.5 in x 18.5 in x 30 in (32 cm x 47 cm x 76 cm)
          Measured Dimensions (closed): 12.5 in x 17 in x 24 in (32 cm x 43 cm x 61 cm)
          Item Color: Black
          Other colors available: Yellow, Green, Blue
          MSRP: $109.95 US

          The 115L SealLine Boundary Pack comes with all straps and buckles attached to the bag in their proper configuration. Included are the shoulder straps with an adjoining chest strap, a waist strap, top-to-front cargo straps and corresponding snap buckles, and a brief instruction manual with a diagram detailing strap placement and product care.

[...]

          -Sapelo Island lies on the Georgia Atlantic coastline of the U.S., with an interior covered by pine forest and surrounded on three sides by tidal creeks and coastal marsh. Weather conditions for September 2011 were hot and humid at 80 to 95 F (27 to 35 C), interrupted by occasional thunderstorms and heavy rains for periods of 2-4 hours. Terrain consisted of marshlands and tidal sand bars, with transport to and from location by boat. Hikes were typically one to two hours through wet and muddy conditions, with some waist-deep wading. Tides were semi-diurnal (two high and two low tides over a 24 hour period) with a range of approximately 8 ft (2.5 meters) above sea level.

[...]

          -Peru exhibits nearly every type of climate and terrain imaginable, and I can safely say I experienced all of them while traveling from Piura, on the northern coastline, to Urubamba in the southern mountains in late September of 2012. Weather conditions ranged from hot and dry, hot and humid to cold and wet, and included rain, snow and even hail. Temperatures ranged from 25 to 90 F (-4 to 32 C) and elevations from 100 to 14,000 ft (30 to 4270 meters). Terrain crossed consisted of desert, arid coastal lowlands, lowland jungle, wet highlands, dry highlands, and alpine. For this trip the bag was used almost exclusively as luggage, secured to the back of an open 3-wheeled motorcycle taxi on a 1720 mi (2768 km) 14-day road trip. When not traveling on the road the bag was used as a backpack for short periods over the course of two weeks.

          -Performance in Peru: for the first week the bag stayed on my back as I jumped from hostel to hostel in Lima. Weighing in at 32 lb (14.5 kg) given the contents, the bag was manageable for an hour or so at a time, but occasional breaks were necessary to relieve discomfort. The bag's simple, sleek and rugged design proved advantageous for repeated taxicab rides and use as a checked bag on airline flights. Nothing ever spilled out and when I had packed conscientiously I could easily retrieve items from the top when needed. Following a flight to the city of Piura, the bag was strapped to the back of a motorcycle taxi and became a piece of weather-proof luggage for a two-week journey across the country. It was removed every night and replaced each morning, sometimes carried out on short excursions, but generally remained on the back of the mototaxi for at least 12 hours each day. By the end of the trip the bag was filthy, reeked of gasoline that had leaked from a spare can, was thoroughly scratched and scraped and had one small puncture, but none of its contents was ever exposed to the weather, mud, road dust or the gasoline, at any point during the trip. It again reverted to use as a large pack for another week before making a return trip to the U.S. as checked luggage.

          Things I like:
          1. Extremely durable, rugged, waterproof and water-tight rubberized design.
          2.
Roll-up top makes storage capacity more flexible as items are added/removed.
          3. Easy to pack and unpack.
          4. Low-maintenance, easy clean up and repair if punctured.
          5. Backpack straps are a big plus when compared to duffels and dry sacks.

          Things I dislike:
          1.
Shoulder straps, chest strap and waist belt are inadequate for extended use or excessive weight.
          2. Dry weight of 3 lb 6 oz (1530g) means it's a bit on the heavy side.
          3. I worry that the buckles may be susceptible to cracking or breaking.