    Sea To Summit X-Cup, 8.3oz (250ml), color: blue Reviewer Information Name: James Dillion Asher Jr. Age: 31
Gender: Male
Height: 5 7 (1.7
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30 10:22 PM
      Sea To Summit X-Cup, 8.3oz (250ml), color: blue

      Reviewer Information
      Name: James Dillion Asher Jr.
      Age: 31

Gender: Male

Height: 5' 7" (1.7 meters)

      Weight: 145 lbs (65 kilos)

Email address: james@...
      City: Fort Collins
      State: Colorado
      Country: USA

      Date: March 30, 2013

      Backpacking Background: I've spent a significant amount of time outdoors working as a field research geologist under a variety of weather conditions and different environments. I've traversed high mountains, lowland swamps, tropical island interiors and coastlines and even crawled around inside caves. I'm also an avid traveler, and an unconventional one at that- I've driven 1720 miles across Peru on a 3-wheeled motorcycle taxi and will soon embark on a 9,000 mile car camping trip from England to Mongolia. I might not always be backpacking, but give me a piece of equipment and I guarantee I will put it through its paces!

      Product Information:

Manufacturer: Sea To Summit
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Listed weight: 1.6 oz (45 grams)
      Dimensions: 3.75" base dia, 4.25" top dia, 2.75" high (9.5 cm, 10.75 cm, 7 cm)
      Compressed dimensions: 4.25" x 0.5" (10.75 cm x 3 cm)
      Size/Volume: 8.3 fl oz (250 ml)
      Colors available: Orange, Lime, Black, Blue
      MSRP: $11.95*
      *price generally ranges from $9.95 to $11.95

      The Sea To Summit X-Cup comes collapsed into a flat disk and secured in plastic packaging surrounding the rigid rim of the cup, with the product fully visible and easy to inspect. Packaging clearly indicates, symbolically or in writing, the product's collapsible function, its weight, its volume as "1 cup", its function as a calibrated measuring cup, its food-grade silicon construction, and its ability to accept hot liquids.

      The X-Cup functions as a collapsible travel/measuring cup and eating utensil. To expand for use, simply press down in the middle of the concave side while holding the rigid outer rim of the cup. The base of the cup will then expand downward, as pressure is applied, to its full height/depth of 2.75" (7cm). To fold back, simply place the cup between your hands and compress back to its minimum thickness of 0.5" (3cm).

      Field Information: the Sea To Summit X-Cup accompanied me on a month-long trip across Peru. The cup was utilized multiple times each day, for a variety of functions, and exposed to various liquids at temperatures ranging from boiling to freezing.

      Performance: I kept my X-Cup in the thin and otherwise useless front pocket of a Dakine Cyclone roll-top backpack, where it nested comfortably inside a collapsible Sea To Summit XL Bowl when not in use. When it did come out the X-Cup worked exactly as advertised without any problems, even when subjected to daily use over the course of 4 weeks. It served as a reservoir for filtering faucet water through a purifier each morning, for drinking both hot and cold beverages and even straight alcohol on a few occasions. The volumetric hash marks on the inside of the cup came in very handy for measuring portions of rice for cooking, and it was appropriate for use as a bowl when I had to loan my Sea To Summit XL to a traveling companion.

      Things I like:
      1. Adequate volume for a variety of uses.
      2.
Compresses flat, nests within similar products and takes up little space.
      3. Rugged and durable food-grade silicon construction.
      4. Volumetric hash marks for measuring.
      5. Rigid top rim for stability during use.
      6. Appropriate for hot liquids.

      Things I dislike:
      1.
The cup must be habitually grasped by the top rim during use, as the base and ribs lack any rigid reinforcement.
      2. Weight may be excessive for the more weight-conscious backpacker.
      3. A lid to reduce sloshing and spills would be a nice addition.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2013
        Welcome James,

        Thank you for your interest in writing reviews for this group and for eagerly posting your first 2 Owner Reviews (ORs). Experience has shown us that it is more efficient for both the Editors and yourself if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews. As such, this OR will be put in the "On Hold" section of our Edit Queue until OR #1 has gone through to completion and you have revised this one.
        If you have any questions please let us know.

        Cordially,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Editors Team Director

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "jdasherjr81" <jdasherjr81@...> wrote:

        > Sea To Summit X-Cup, 8.3oz (250ml), color: blue
        >
        > Reviewer Information
        > Name: James Dillion Asher Jr.
        > Age: 31

Gender: Male

Height: 5' 7" (1.7 meters)

Email address: james@...
        > City: Fort Collins
        > State: Colorado
        > Country: USA

        > Date: March 30, 2013
      • jdasherjr81
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2013
          Hello Jamie,

          I apologize for throwing three reviews at you guys all at once! That should be it for a while though, at least until the editing process is complete for all three. I'll tackle them one at a time as they come up, thanks again for your help.

          James Asher

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie D." <jdeben@...> wrote:

          > Welcome James,
          >
          > Thank you for your interest in writing reviews for this group and for eagerly posting your first 2 Owner Reviews (ORs). Experience has shown us that it is more efficient for both the Editors and yourself if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews. As such, this OR will be put in the "On Hold" section of our Edit Queue until OR #1 has gone through to completion and you have revised this one.
          > If you have any questions please let us know.
          >
          > Cordially,
          > Jamie DeBenedetto
          > Editors Team Director
          >

          > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "jdasherjr81" <jdasherjr81@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sea To Summit X-Cup, 8.3oz (250ml), color: blue
          > >
          > > Reviewer Information
          > > Name: James Dillion Asher Jr.
          > > Age: 31

Gender: Male