EDIT: OR BeariKade MKII Bear Resistant Can

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30 12:08 PM
      Hi Joe,

      Thanks for the OR. I have two of their bear cans too, they are great. I enjoyed the weght per, and price per lines you did. Clever and fun.

      I have some edits for you. You know the routine now. Please make the corrections and REPOST here, along with a new HTML version.

      Ray

      ***Manufacturer: Wild Ideas

      EDIT: for this line we want the full legal name which is Wild Ideas, LLC

      ***Product: MKII

      EDIT: the name of your can is the Expedition. MKll refers to the second generation, which all that have been sold to the public are. You need to change this in the title too. (Plus add the name throughout the review instead of MKll.)

      *** MSRP: $275

      EDIT: please add "US" to differentiate from other types of dollar currencies

      ***Several aircraft wonks in Southern California developed this can

      Edit: my dad is an ME at Lockheed so I get the reference. But many readers, especially our foreign ones, may not. Add to that the fact that the guys at WI don't refer to themselves as wonks and I really think this should be changed.

      ***The clips lock the lid solidly and usually turn easily with a nickel or quarter.

      EDIT: since we have readers from all over the globe it would be best to say "a coin" instead of a particular denomination.

      ***I've carried this can on 166 days of outings over four seasons.

      Comment: nice

      ***The benefits of this can come to bear on outings requiring 7-10 person/days

      EDIT: comes

      *** I've toted it all about Emigrant, Dinky Lakes and Kaiser where it is not required; and half-a-dozen times in Yosemite and twice in Sequoia-Kings Canyon where cans are required.

      Edit: you might mention that all of these places are in the Sierra Nevada of California.

      *** I've used it in temperatures of 20-90 degrees F (-7-32 C).

      Edit: temps works best with a "to" instead of a dash to keep the numbers correct. 20 to 90 degrees F (-7 to 32 C) reads a lot better.

      *** The worst part of this can is going out for a shortie,

      EDIT: please explain or use a better term. That means a small beer to my Aussie friendsÂ…
    • never2muchstuff
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2013
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/REPOST%20%20OR%20-%20BeariKade%20Expedition/

        Thank you for the edits, Ray. Follows revised text:

        BeariKade Expedition

        by Joe Schaffer
        OWNER REVIEW
        March 15, 2013

        TESTER INFORMATION:
        NAME: Joe Schaffer
        EMAIL: never2muchstuff@...
        AGE: 65
        GENDER: Male
        HEIGHT: 5'9" (1.75 m)
        WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.4 kg)
        HOME: Hayward, California USA

        I frequent California's central Sierras, camping every month; up to 95 nights a year; about half the time solo. I work part time at an outdoor store. As a comfort camper I lug tent, mattress, chair, etc. Summer trips last typically a week to 10 days; 40 lbs (18 kg), about half food related; about 5 miles (8 km) per hiking day. I winter camp most often at 6,000' to 7,000' (1,830 to 2,135 m); 2 to 3 nights; 55 lbs (25 kg); 1 to 4 miles (1.6 to 6.4 km) on snowshoes.

        The Product:
        Manufacturer: Wild Ideas, LLC.
        Web site: www.wild-ideas.net
        Product: BeariKade Expedition animal resistant container
        Year purchased: 2009

        My measures:
        Weight: 35.5 oz (.974 kg)
        Diameter: OD: 9.1" max (23.1 cm) ID: 9" useable (22.9 cm)
        Length: 14.5" outside (36.8 cm) 14.25" inside (36.2m)
        Volume: 907 useable cid inside (14.9 L); 943 cid outside (15.4 L)
        Volume (inside) per wt: 25.55 cid per oz (0.0153 L per g)
        Volume (inside) per US dollar of MSRP: 3.3 cid (0.0542 L)

        Factory specs (from website):
        Weight: just over 36 oz (.99 kg)
        Diameter: 9" (22.9 cm)
        Length: 14.5" (36.8 cm)
        Volume: 900 cid (14.8 L)
        MSRP: $275 US

        Product Description:

        Several aircraft engineers in Southern California developed this can from carbon fiber and high-grade aluminum. The flat metal bottom's glued to a carbon fiber tube. Three aircraft turn clips lock the flat metal top precisely into an 0-ringed, glued-on metal seat. The inside walls are smooth, slick and straight. The lid and bottom are very thin, beefed up with spiderweb arches.

        The open can boasts a big mouth, very nearly matching the inside diameter of the can. The turn clip seats present sharp edges and can snag nosh on the way in or out. The clips lock the lid solidly and usually turn easily with a coin. The open lid hangs close on a wire cable.

        Field conditions:

        I've carried this can on 166 days of outings over four seasons. The can's benefits come to bear on outings requiring 7-10 person/days of food storage. I've toted it about California's Sierra Nevada in Emigrant, Dinky Lakes and Kaiser where it is not required; and half-a-dozen times in Yosemite and twice in Sequoia-Kings Canyon where cans are required. One of the SKC trips dumped three days of what a ranger said was the worst summer rainstorm in 30 years, but the can stayed dry inside. I've used it in temperatures of 20 to 90 degrees F (-7 to 32 C). No bear on this can yet.

        Observations:

        Arithmetic sold me this product: 2.25 lbs (1.05 kg) of SIBBG (Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group)-tested and approved, 900-cubic-inch (14.8 L) volume giving me 10 days capacity. I find no legal alternative close to the volume/wt ratio of the Expedition.

        It costs a ton. But for equal capacity I calculate a weight savings from the Expedition of about 2.5 lbs (1.13 kg) at a marginal cost of about $150 US. I compare that incremental cost to stepping up to the lightest tent in the world, or sleeping bag or the lightest combination of anything and find it possible to swallow the price. Slashing that much of my fixed weight translates to about 2 more nights out. Or, leaving the car with exactly the same food ration, alternative storage tare takes about 2 days to get pack weight down to what I can leave with when using the Expedition.

        Washday's a breeze. I can lug a lot of water away from the lake and give me dirties a tidy thrash and rinse. I'm reminded to be careful of the turn clip seats, which do, however, make the water-laden can easy to grab with one hand.

        I find the top and bottom edges relatively sharp. Things rubbing outside the pack into an edge have caused abrasion cuts. When expecting a scramble, I've learned to place towel, sock or shirt to blunt any forces that might otherwise scrape skimpy fabric over an edge.

        Edges also tend to grab on the way in and out of my pack; again, more on lighter fabrics. Bear cans are not my favorite pill. This brute crammed to the brim gives me a clumsy armload.

        It might work OK for a stool if I could tolerate hundreds of dollars of carbon fiber that close to campfire.

        A c-ration P-38 can opener will usually let me rotate the turn clips, though sometimes I have to fish out a key or coin to exert a bit more torque on a cranky clip. (Durned arthritis!) I find the Expedition not as easy as turning the locks on other cans; and much easier than coaxing a lid past keepers, especially with cold fingers.

        The worst part of this can is going out for less than a week, I have plenty of capacity in a smaller can that's either heavier or only a few ounces lighter! Stuffing the Expedition's surplus space with gear sometimes leaves me fiddling to get the tonnage pill centered in the pack.

        Expedition quick shots for park-approved, rodent-resistant can:

        a) Low weight
        b) High volume
        c) Expensive
        d) Sharp edges
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
          Hi Joe,

          Great job on the review. I really like the pictures. I have two edits for you. One you need Wild Ideas in the title also. Plus the spelling of "Bearikade" needs to be the way they do. No cap on the "k".

          Make those changes and check them to see that it looks ok in the Test Folder. If it looks good you can place the corrected version at:

          Reviews > Cook Gear > Bear Resistant Containers > Wild Ideas Bearikade Expedition

          Please go back and delete all your test copies.

          As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
          Agreement, for which see:

          that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

          You will also need to join:

          This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

          However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

          Congratulations!

          Raymond Estrella