OR - DutchWare Dutch Clip Ti - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2013
      Here's my next one: Dutch Clips Ti.

      > http://bit.ly/ZeP6pk

      Thanks for editing!

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      DutchWare Gear -- Dutch Clip Ti

      Owner Review by Derek Hansen

      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name Derek Hansen
      Age 37
      Gender Male
      Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight 170 lb (77 kg)
      Email Address
      City, State, Country Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), which includes food and water. Because I pack less than 20 lb (9 kg), I prefer lightweight trail-running shoes. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      MANUFACTURER Dutch Clips, LLC, South Carolina, USA
      YEAR OF MANUFACTURE 2012, made in USA
      MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE www.dutchwaregear.com
      MSRP $18.00 USD
      LISTED FEATURES
      Designed specifically for webbing based hammock suspensions. The Dutch Clip replaces a carabiner for a quick connection and release around the tree.

      MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS
      Dutch clips are meant to be used only with hammocks that have a 30 degree angle or sag in the suspension

      MEASUREMENTS
      Specifications WHAT THEY SAY WHAT I SAY
      Weight (packet) 0.5 oz (15 g)/pair 0.5 oz (15 g)/pair
      Dimensions 1.75 x 1 in (4.5 x 2.6 cm) 1.75 x 1 in (4.5 x 2.6 cm)
      MATERIAL Titanium

      OWNER REVIEW

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The DutchWare Gear Dutch Clip Ti is a small titanium clip used with hammock suspension. It looks like a modern, somewhat squashed horseshoe. The clip is designed to attach to the end of a webbing strap to make it easier to clip onto the standing end of the same webbing.

      One of the primary advantages of the Dutch Clip Ti is its weight. Made from titanium, it is engineered to break at more than 300 lb (136 kg), yet it is very small and lightweight.

      Webbing straps used in hammock suspension are used, primarily, to create an anchor point around a tree. The secondary purpose of using a wide strap, instead of a thin rope, for example, is to spread the compressive forces over a wide area, thus minimizing any visible damage to the tree and any unseen damage to the cambium or nutrient layer that could girth the tree and choke it.

      Most hammock webbing straps have eye loops sewn or tied on the ends. These loops allow the webbing to be threaded through itself, creating a secure hitch around the tree. To quicken the process and to make adjustments easier, carabiners are sometimes used as a quick-connect. The Dutch Clip is a smaller, lighter, and faster method that replaces the need for a carabiner but functions in exactly the same way.

      FIELD USE CONDITIONS

      I've been using the titanium Dutch Clip for more than a year now, and it has served as my primary suspension on most of my trips. This includes dozens of backpacking trips through all four seasons. Here are some highlighted trips:

      May 15-19, 2012: Damascus, Virginia. I participated in the Appalachian Trail Days and backpacked and camped along the Appalachian Trail every night (I only hiked about 2 miles (3 km) each day to return to town). I enjoyed the refreshing humidity and rain showers. Elevation was 2,400 ft (732 m).

      Jul 15-20, 2012: Camp Geronimo, near Pine, Arizona. Summer camp with the Boy Scouts! I used the Axiom to pack my gear for this week-long camping trip. Thanks to the monsoon rain season, overnight temperature was a cool 40*F (4*C) with the high during the day in the high 60s*F (15s*C). Elevation was roughly 5,000 ft (1,500 m).

      Sep 14-15, 2012: Kachina Peaks Wilderness, Flagstaff, Arizona. I joined a Venture Crew on a 20-mile (32 km) backpacking trip along the Inner Basin Trail and the Weatherford Trail. The overnight low was in the upper 30s *F (3 *C) and around 70 *F (21 *C) in the day. Elevation ranged from 8,600 to 11,300 ft (2,530 to 3,400 m).

      Oct 26-27, 2012: Kachina Trail, Arizona. I went on a 13 mi (21 km) backpacking trip with my troop on the San Francisco Peaks. The high temperature was around 50*F (10*C) and the overnight low was around 30*F (-1*C). Elevation was 9,200 ft (2,800 m).

      FIELD USE RESULTS

      The titanium Dutch Clip is the second iteration of the Dutch Clip, which was originally cast out of aluminum and had a different form factor. When I first saw the updated Dutch Clip I wasn't exactly sure how to use it. The new design has a more oval shape and includes "keeper" sprues that I weren't used before.

      I'm embarrassed to admit that I needed some hand holding to explain how these worked, but it seems obvious once I saw a demonstration. The clip is intended to remain on the webbing strap when not in use, so the sprues of metal help hold the webbing in place, preventing the hardware from falling off accidentally.

      Using the clip is fairly easy. Once attached to the fixed eye of the webbing, I wrap the webbing around my anchor point (typically a tree trunk) and then "clip" it back to the webbing strap that is leading to the hammock.

      If I need to adjust the hight of my anchor point, which is fairly often, the Dutch Clip makes it easy by letting me unclip and move the strap.

      My speed in setting up and taking down my hammock has been improved by using the strap. No longer do I need to thread the webbing through the eye, instead I can just clip and go. This is probably the main advantage of using the Dutch Clip. As a rule, I prefer simple and lightweight options, but the Dutch Clip has been so useful that I rarely complain about the weight, which is scant.

      I think the exaggerated oval design of the titanium Dutch Clip creates a more gental curve to the fabric, which is probably less stressful to the fabric.

      I also own the original aluminum Dutch Clips and had an experience where the metal cut through my webbing. I took a file to that clip and rounded the corners more to eliminate the problem. The titanium clips take care of that possibility through a better design and I can say I've not seen any damage or fraying on my webbing straps over the past year or more, and I've been using the same strap with these clips during that time.

      SUMMARY

      The Dutch Clip Ti is a great piece of hardware for hammock webbing straps. It's minimal size, light weight, and strength make it ideal for backpacking.

      PRO--Lightweight, strong, and functional.

      CON--None.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 2013

        Editors Team Director