REPOST: OR - REI Flash 18 Pack - Rick McQuet

  • Rick McQuet
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2013
      tiny url:  http://tinyurl.com/aqpbvme

      REI Flash 18 Pack
      Date: January 25, 2013

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Rick McQuet
      Age: 44
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 5" (1.9 m)
      Weight: 180 lb (82 kg)
      Email address: rmcquet (at) yahoo (dot) com
      City: Chicago
      State: Illinois
      Country: USA

      Backpacking Background:  I went on family backpacking trips every summer from the 3rd
      grade through 8th grade, including hikes within the Trinity Alps and Sierra
      Nevada in California.  In the past
      5 years, backpacking has included multi-day trips to the Ventana Wilderness,
      Desolation Wilderness, and Tahoe National Forest, all in California.  In addition, I attend several Boy Scout
      camping trips each year in Illinois and Wisconsin. Each summer, I go on
      multiple day hikes from our cabin in McCall, Idaho.  I endeavor to be a light (but not ultra-light) backpacker.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer:  REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.)
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Listed weight:  11.0 Ounces (312 Grams)
      Weight as delivered:  10.9 Ounces  (309
      Grams)
      Listed Length: 18 in (457 mm)
      Listed Width: 9.5 in (241 mm)
      Capacity: 1,100 cu in (18 l)
      Color:  Light
      Grey (available in several colors, including red, gold, blue, purple and black)
      MSRP: $34.50 US

      Figure 1: Flash 18 (photo courtesy rei.com)

      Production Description:
      The REI Flash 18 Pack (hereafter, ‘Flash 18’,
      or ‘the
      pack’)
      is a lightweight frameless, top-loading daypack.  It is the smallest of the Flash series made by REI.  The Flash 18 is made of 140 denier
      ripstop nylon.  It has a single
      opening at the top, with a single drawcord closure.  The adjustable shoulder straps are nylon mesh.  There is an adjustable sternum strap
      and an unpadded waist strap, both made of nylon webbing and with quick release
      buckles. Both the sternum strap and waist strap are removable.  The outside has two nylon straps
      running lengthwise along the pack, sewn in a daisy chain fashion.  At the bottom is an additional tool
      loop.  There are no external
      pockets.

      Figure 2:  Flash 18 Front (left) and Back (right)

      Inside the pack there are two pockets.  The first is a single zippered mesh
      pocket (6 in by 9 in, or 15 cm by 23 cm) for securing things such as keys,
      wallets, cell phones and other small items.  The second is a large internal sleeve designed to hold a
      hydration reservoir. A single exit port for the reservoir hose runs out from
      the middle at top of the pack.
      There is also a piece of closed cell foam padding, about
      a quarter of an inch thick (6 mm), that sits in an interior sleeve on the back
      of the pack.  This has a
      hook-and-loop enclosure that keeps it securely closed.

      Figure 3: Mesh Pocket (left) and Hydration Reservoir
      (right)

      Field Information:
      I have used the Flash 18 extensively across a variety of
      different uses, about 25 to 30 times total:
      - Six days as both a summit pack and pillow on summer
      hikes in the Ventana Wilderness and Tahoe National Forest (Castle Peak area) in
      California.  I just rolled it up
      and stuffed into my main pack while hiking.  As a pillow, I stuffed my clothes into it.  I did not experience any rain or snow
      during these trips.
      - Approximately ten day hikes in Idaho during the summer,
      where I typically carry two liters of water in a hydration reservoir, lunch for
      two people, a windbreaker, camera and maps.  Elevations ranged from 5,000 ft to 7,500 ft (1,520 m to 2290
      m). Temperatures were moderate, approximately 70 F to 80 F (21 C to 27 C).
      - Ten days of skiing during the winter in Idaho, from
      cold, sunny days to wet, snowy days.  Five of the days were cold and sunny, with temps ranging from 5 F to 25
      F (-15 C to -4 C).  The snowy days
      were between 25 F and 32 F (-4 C to 0 C). Elevation ranged from 6,000 ft to
      7,500 ft (1,830 m to 2,290 m). I used it both for downhill skiing and
      backcountry skiing.  For downhill,
      I would carry extra gloves, an extra layer, and a small lunch.  For backcountry, I carried extra
      layers, skins, extra gloves, two liters of water, camera and a small lunch.
      - Several times while running in Chicago.  I often run from work to a gym four
      miles from my office, so I will carry a change of clothes in the pack.

      Figure 4:  Wearing Flash 18 (left) and Rolled Up (right)

      Observations:
      I first learned about the pack from a friend of mine, who
      is an experienced hiker and mountaineer.  He used it for a few day hikes we did together while in McCall,
      Idaho.  I really liked how light it
      was, and yet it seemed to have a lot of room.  I purchased mine at the REI store in Northbrook, Illinois.

      Overall, after using it in many different ways and on
      different trips, I really like the Flash 18.  I have not had any problems with the fit of the pack, with
      the adjustments or durability.  The
      drawstring locking mechanism is straightforward.  The loop in the hydration sleeve that was added to the most
      recent version of the Flash 18 prevents the hydration reservoir from sagging to
      the bottom of the bag as it empties.

      The padding provided protection against any zippers or
      sharp edges in my gear..  However,
      my opinion is that the padding in the pack is not absolutely necessary. It is
      possible to remove the existing padding and replace it with something thicker.

      In addition, the Flash 18 carries loads very well and
      feels quite stable while hiking or even scrambling across boulders. I found the
      shoulder straps to be comfortable, and I could adjust the sternum strap higher
      or lower depending on the load I was carrying.

      I also really like the versatility of the pack.  In general, I could use it as a stuff
      sack for a sleeping bag (though I have not tried that yet), or as a bear bag
      for hanging food (worked well for this use).  I have used it as a pillow, and even as a bag for going to
      the gym.

      My only complaint (and itis a small one) is the
      mechanism that is used to tighten the drawcord.  If I open the bag too quickly, the cord can get twisted and
      then stuck.  To avoid this, I
      simply have to make sure that the drawcord is not twisted up as I go to open
      the pack.

      Things I Like:
      - lightweight
      - durable
      - compresses to a small size
      - versatile
      - inexpensive

      Things I Do Not Like:
      - the closure mechanism

      Conclusion:
      I am very happy with my Flash 18 and would not hesitate
      to recommend to a friend.