Re: Edit - OR REI Flash 18 Pack - Rick McQuet

  • rmcquet
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2013
      Richard:

      Edits completed below.

      Thanks,

      Rick

      -----------
      REI Flash 18 Pack
      Date: January 25, 2013

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Rick McQuet
      Age: 44
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 5" (1.9 m)
      Weight: 180 lb (82 kg)
      Email address: rmcquet (at) yahoo (dot) com
      City: Chicago
      State: Illinois
      Country: USA

      Backpacking Background: I went on family backpacking trips every summer from the 3rd grade through 8th grade, including hikes within the Trinity Alps and Sierra Nevada in California. In the past 5 years, backpacking has included multi-day trips to the Ventana Wilderness, Desolation Wilderness, and Tahoe National Forest, all in California. In addition, I attend several Boy Scout camping trips each year in Illinois and Wisconsin. Each summer, I go on multiple day hikes from our cabin in McCall, Idaho. I endeavor to be a light (but not ultra-light) backpacker.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.)
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Listed weight: 11.0 Ounces (312 Grams)
      Weight as delivered: 10.9 Ounces (309 Grams)
      Listed Length: 18 in (457 mm)
      Listed Width: 9.5 in (241 mm)
      Capacity: 1,100 cu in (18 l)
      Color: Light Grey (available in several colors, including red, gold, blue, purple and black)
      MSRP: $34.50 US

      Figure 1: Flash 18 (photo courtesy rei.com)

      Production Description:
      The REI Flash 18 Pack (hereafter, "Flash 18", or "the pack") is a lightweight frameless, top-loading daypack. It is the smallest of the Flash series made by REI. The Flash 18 is made of 140 denier ripstop nylon. It has a single opening at the top, with a single drawcord closure. The adjustable shoulder straps are nylon mesh. There is an adjustable sternum strap and an unpadded waist strap, both made of nylon webbing and with quick release buckles. Both the sternum strap and waist strap are removable. The outside has two nylon straps running lengthwise along the pack, sewn in a daisy chain fashion. At the bottom is an additional tool loop. There are no external pockets.

      Figure 2: Flash 18 Front (left) and Back (right)

      Inside the pack there are two pockets. The first is a single zippered mesh pocket (6 in by 9 in, or 15 cm by 23 cm) for securing things such as keys, wallets, cell phones and other small items. The second is a large internal sleeve designed to hold a hydration reservoir. A single exit port for the reservoir hose runs out from the middle at top of the pack.
      There is also a piece of closed cell foam padding, about a quarter of an inch thick (6 mm), that sits in an interior sleeve on the back of the pack. This has a hook-and-loop enclosure that keeps it securely closed.

      Figure 3: Mesh Pocket (left) and Hydration Reservoir (right)

      Field Information:
      I have used the Flash 18 extensively across a variety of different uses, about 25 to 30 times total:
      - Six days as both a summit pack and pillow on summer hikes in the Ventana Wilderness and Tahoe National Forest (Castle Peak area) in California. I just rolled it up and stuffed into my main pack while hiking. As a pillow, I stuffed my clothes into it. I did not experience any rain or snow during these trips.
      - Approximately ten day hikes in Idaho during the summer, where I typically carry two liters of water in a hydration reservoir, lunch for two people, a windbreaker, camera and maps. Elevations ranged from 5,000 ft to 7,500 ft (1,520 m to 2290 m). Temperatures were moderate, approximately 70 F to 80 F (21 C to 27 C).
      - Ten days of skiing during the winter in Idaho, from cold, sunny days to wet, snowy days. Five of the days were cold and sunny, with temps ranging from 5 F to 25 F (-15 C to -4 C). The snowy days were between 25 F and 32 F (-4 C to 0 C). Elevation ranged from 6,000 ft to 7,500 ft (1,830 m to 2,290 m). I used it both for downhill skiing and backcountry skiing. For downhill, I would carry extra gloves, an extra layer, and a small lunch. For backcountry, I carried extra layers, skins, extra gloves, two liters of water, camera and a small lunch.
      - Several times while running in Chicago. I often run from work to a gym four miles from my office, so I will carry a change of clothes in the pack.

      Figure 4: Wearing Flash 18 (left) and Rolled Up (right)

      Observations:
      I first learned about the pack from a friend of mine, who is an experienced hiker and mountaineer. He used it for a few day hikes we did together while in McCall, Idaho. I really liked how light it was, and yet it seemed to have a lot of room. I purchased mine at the REI store in Northbrook, Illinois.

      Overall, after using it in many different ways and on different trips, I really like the Flash 18. I have not had any problems with the fit of the pack, with the adjustments or durability. The drawstring locking mechanism is straightforward. The loop in the hydration sleeve that was added to the most recent version of the Flash 18 prevents the hydration reservoir from sagging to the bottom of the bag as it empties.

      The padding provided protection against any zippers or sharp edges in my gear.. However, my opinion is that the padding in the pack isn't absolutely necessary. It is possible to remove the existing padding and replace it with something thicker.

      In addition, the Flash 18 carries loads very well and feels quite stable while hiking or even scrambling across boulders. I found the shoulder straps to be comfortable, and I could adjust the sternum strap higher or lower depending on the load I was carrying.

      I also really like the versatility of the pack. In general, I could use it as a stuff sack for a sleeping bag (though I have not tried that yet), or as a bear bag for hanging food (worked well for this use). I have used it as a pillow, and even as a bag for going to the gym.

      The only small complaint (and it's a small one) is the mechanism that is used to tighten the drawcord. If I open the bag too quickly, the cord can get twisted and then stuck. To avoid this, I simply have to make sure that the drawcord is not twisted up as I go to open the pack.

      Things I Like:
      - lightweight
      - durable
      - compresses to a small size
      - versatile
      - inexpensive

      Things I Don't Like:
      - the closure mechanism

      Conclusion:
      I am very happy with my Flash 18 and would not hesitate to recommend to a friend.

    • richardglyon@att.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
        Rick,

        Thanks for the quick turnaround and excellent job. A few minor edits below (same EDIT, Edit, and Comment format as before). This Review is clearly ready for my final review of it in HTML format. Please make the additional changes, and then:

        1. Post the HTML version, with photos, in the Tests/Owner Reviews folder on the BackpackGearTest.org website. You'll need to log in to do this.

        2. Repost the plain text here, again with REPOST, the product name, and your name in the subject line AND

        3. Include a tinyurl link to the HTML version in the body of the message (see message no. 81930 as an example).

        Cheers, Richard

        ### Product Information ###
        Edit/Comment: A suggestion only, not mandatory – consider noting somewhere that this pack comes in only one size.

        ### Listed weight: 11.0 Ounces (312 Grams)
        Weight as delivered: 10.9 Ounces (309 Grams) ###
        EDIT: You use abbreviations everywhere else, so you should here to: oz and g (lower case)

        ### Listed Length: 18 in (457 mm)
        Listed Width: 9.5 in (241 mm) ###
        EDIT: Add your measured dimensions.

        ### Field Information: ###
        Edit/Comment: Another suggestion: at some point give an estimated maximum pack weight. This isn't necessary because you provide the contents, but it would be helpful to our readers for their comparing the Flash 18 to other daypacks.

        ### Elevations ranged from 5,000 ft to 7,500 ft (1,520 m to 2290 m).###
        Edit: I'd round the metric off. Here and in one other place.

        ### The padding provided protection against any zippers or sharp edges in my gear.. ###
        EDIT: Delete the second period.

        ### The only small complaint (and it's a small one) is the mechanism that is used to tighten the drawcord. ###
        Edit: You use "small" twice in this sentence. I'd delete the first use: "My only complaint (and it's a small one) . . .".
      • richardglyon@att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2013
          Rick,

          Thanks. I think your photos really help the text; good work.

          Same format as before for edits: EDIT, Edit, Comment. Because of the formatting changes requested below, I'd like you to repost one more time, again with a tinurl link to the new HTML version. But I expect this will be the last as this is almost ready to upload.

          Cheers, Richard

          ##REI Flash 18 Pack
          Date: January 25, 2013 [Title]###
          EDIT: Please add a second line "Owner Review by Rick McQuet" between the two lines you now have. This will distinguish the Owner Review from a Test Report.
          EDIT: The three-line title should be centered, and I recommend making the type larger and bold.

          ### Reviewer Information ###
          Edit: As with the title, your Review would be easier to follow if each of the section headings was in bold, larger type, all caps, underscoring, or some combination.

          EDIT: This needs to be a clickable hyperlink to the manufacturer's homepage.

          ### The REI Flash 18 Pack (hereafter, ‘Flash 18’, or ‘the pack’) ###
          EDIT: There are odd symbols in the HTML version instead of quotation marks. If you can't get rid of them, delete the quotation marks.
          Comment: Did you use a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) application such as the Report Writer or Kompozer (which I use) to prepare your HTML version? Might make things easier and eliminate garbles such as these.

          ### I just rolled it up and stuffed into my main pack while hiking. ###
          EDIT: stuffed it into

          ### Several times while running in Chicago. I often run from work to a gym four
          miles from my office, ###
          EDIT: Need the metric equivalent for "four miles"

          ### I am very happy with my Flash 18 and would not hesitate to recommend to a friend. ###
          EDIT: to recommend it to a friend
        • Rick McQuet
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
            updated tinyurl:   http://tinyurl.com/aqpbvme

            I didn't use Kompozer for this review, but I will in the future.  In the meantime, I just took out the quote marks.