Edit/Approval - BCA Traverse shovel - Andrea Murland

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hi Andrea,

      A few minor edits, in the standard format. After revising you're cleared to upload to the existing folder. Don't forget to delete your Tests/OR folder copy.

      Cheers, Richard

      ###Manufacturer: Backcountry Access###
      Edit: Consider mentioning that this company is better known by its initials – BCA.

      ###Model: Traverse EXT Shovel###
      EDIT: Please indicate that this is now called the B-1 EXT Shovel, unless it's still listed as a Traverse EXT on BCA's Canadian website.

      ###The blade is made from 6061 Aluminum and is blue. The blade has four holes
      (one at each corner) that can be used for things such as rescue sleds and
      anchors. At the top of the blade an oval tube protrudes, which the handle fits
      into. This tube has a set of small holes which the "buttons" on the handle fit
      into…more on that later.
      > The handle is oval in cross-section, and is made from two aluminum pieces
      which telescope. The top of the handle has a plastic t-grip. ###
      EDIT: Either make the last sentence part of the earlier paragraph or add a blank line before starting the new paragraph.

      ###Near the bottom of each piece of the handle is a set of silver "buttons".
      These buttons are mounted on a U-shaped spring inside the shovel. ###
      Edit: "inside the handle" would be more accurate

      ### (eg. compression tests), dig through avalanche debris, dig through simulated
      avalanche debris (eg. snow ploughed from roads), ##
      EDIT: "e.g." or "e g" [Abbreviation for two words, exempli gratia. As they are Latin words, strictly speaking the initials out to be in italics but you needn't go that far.]

      ### so I can reach the shovel quickly but don't risk catching it on something or losing it in an avalanche.###
      Edit: I'd say "losing it in a fall," for two reasons. First, if caught in an avalanche you'll have many problems more substantial than losing your shovel. Second, unless adequately secured it's easy to lose a shovel or shovel blade in a fall and not know it until hours later. I've done it more than once.
    • ringrat55
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2013
        Thanks Richard.
        Hope you enjoyed your run through ORWM.