EDIT: Owner Review Mont Bell Handy Scoop

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hello Joe,

      Welcome to BackpackGearTest and thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

      EDIT: must be changed

      When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

      Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

      A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

      Ray

      ***HOME: Hayward, CA

      EDIT: please spell out the state for the benefit of our international readers

      *** Summer trips last typically a week to 10 days; 40#, about half food related; about 5 miles per hiking day. I winter camp at 6-7k; 2-3 nights; 55#; 1-4 miles on snowshoes.

      EDIT: the abbreviation for pounds is lb and you need Metric conversions for all measurements, weights, distances, etc.
      You should put the elevation in feet and meters.

      ***Manufacturer: Mont-Bell

      EDIT: after many years of dealing with MontBell and their multitude of spelling styles BGT decided to stick with one way, the one in their legal name: MontBell Co Ltd

      ***Web site: http://www.montbell.us/

      EDIT: we only allow/want the top-level URL for the manufacturer. In this case it is http://montbell.com

      ***Weight: 1 3/8oz (39gms)

      EDIT: need spaces after the numbers. No "s" in "gm"; 1 3/8 oz (39 gm) Please correct all of them.

      EDIT: I am not sure why you went with 1-3/8 oz instead of the correct 1.4 oz listed by the manufacturer. Is that the actual weight measured by you? If so put "Actual weight" or something like that. And I would use decimals rather than fractions as it makes it easier for the reader to compare.

      ***Cost: (2010 delivered): $15

      EDIT: we need the current MSRP from the manufacturer only. So as you have it later you can delete this.

      ***Product Description:

      Longitudinally curved stainless steel 1mm thick with plastic-coated handle and a webbing strap.

      Edit: I understand that there is not a lot to say about a trowel but being able to describe to the reader what you are reviewing is very important. (And will make you get noticed for testing later.) I think you can do more with this if you think about it. Look at the reviews from other veteran writers for examples. A spoon or spork review would be similar too.

      Is the construction of your scoop one-piece? What is the webbing strap? A pull, or a loop, or a lanyard? Is the handle hard or soft?

      *** (Actually I am compulsive enough to keep written records of use frequency on many products. At my age and frequency of use for this one, given the level of confidence I have in its likely lifespan, it never occurred to me to record use for this one. Thus, I must submit only a calculation. I would be happy to indulge any skeptic the math path, but that would seem more appropriate for a late night campfire venue.)

      Edit: while I personally find that kind of funny it comes across as a snarky poke at the fact that you were asked for some kind of qualification on amount of use when you first submitted the review. This does nothing for the eventual reader that has no idea what you are grumbling about, so I suggest this be taken out.

      ***I don’t know how many Red Snappers I’ve snapped over the years, often owing to urgency.

      EDIT: what are Red Snappers? A brand of plastic trowels? If so say "plastic trowels". We don't compare brands.

      *** The Handy Scoop won’t break or bend, perhaps in part because
      it isn’t big enough to get a lot of leverage.

      EDIT: you need to qualify that to keep from projecting your experience onto the reader. Like this: The Handy Scoop won't break or bend in my experience, perhaps in part because it isn't big enough for me to get a lot of leverage.

      That way it keeps it in the first person and allows for the fact that someone else may well be able to bend the scoop or achieve more leverage.

      *** The small, relativelysharp blade cuts into dirt and humus more easily than a larger blade and won't torque the wrist on hurried excavations.

      Comment: hah, I like that mental image. (Dig fast!)

      ***It isn’t any better than a right angle stick, so the hardest core minimalist cannot be denied his or her objection.

      EDIT: the thought is fine, just find a way to word it that doesn't talk about somebody else's objections. This is about you and your thoughts of the product.

      ***I find it comforting to know I always have digging capacity readily
      at hand for about the weight of a gel.

      EDIT: you should explain that better. Many readers may not know what a gel is. Maybe at least say "an energy gel".
    • never2muchstuff
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
        Thanks, Ray. I appreciate the time and patience you folks have offered. I've requested a mentor.
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2013
          OK, sounds good Joe.

          Just repost the review when you are ready.

          Ray

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
            Thanks for your help, Ray. Here is the link: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR-MontBell%20Handy%20Scoop/

            MONT-BELL HANDY SCOOP

            by Joe Schaffer
            OWNER REVIEW
            March 15, 2013

            TESTER INFORMATION:
            NAME: Joe Schaffer
            EMAIL: never2muchstuff@...
            AGE: 65
            GENDER: Male
            HEIGHT: 5'9" (1.75 m)
            WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.4 kg)
            HOME: Hayward, California USA

            I visit mostly California's central Sierras, camping every month; up to 95 nights a year; about half the time solo. I work part time at an outdoor store. As a comfort camper I lug tent, mattress, chair, etc. Summer trips last typically a week to 10 days; 40 lbs (18 kg), about half food related; about 5 miles (8 kilometers) per hiking day. I winter camp most often at 6,000'-7,000' (1,830-2,135 meters); 2-3 nights; 55 lb (25 kg); 1-4 miles (1.6-6.4 kilometers) on snowshoes.

            The Product
            Manufacturer: Mont-Bell Co., Ltd.
            Web site: http://www.montbell.com
            Product: Handy Scoop
            Year purchased: 2010

            My measures:
            Weight: 1.38 oz (39 gm)
            Length: 6.25" (159 mm)
            Handle length: 3" (76 mm)
            Handle width: 0.83" (22 mm)
            Blade length: 3.25" (83 mm)
            Blade width (max): 1.58" (40 mm)

            Factory specs (from website):
            Weight: 1.4 oz (40 gm)
            Length: 6.25" (159 mm)
            MSRP: $16

            Product Description:

            Curved stainless steel 1 mm thick with plastic-coated handle and a lanyard. The scoop is stamped from a single piece 6.25" (159 mm) long; curved full length at about the round of a person's thumb, allowing the handle to cradle the thumb. The handle is 0.83" (22 mm) wide to its full length of 3" (76 mm) coated with about 0.04" (1 mm) of black plastic, softening the feel of the edges. The top of the handle is drilled with a 0.38" (9.5 mm) hole to accommodate a webbing lanyard 0.63" (16 mm) wide and 5" (127 mm) in circumference. The elliptical blade holds the same curve as the handle; splaying to a maximum width of 1.58" (40 mm) at about the center length of the blade, leading to an apex sharp enough to break through turf.

            Field conditions:

            I've carried this product for about 200 backpacking days, sampling all kinds of conditions from sand to sod.

            Observations:

            I've snapped a lot of plastic trowels over the years, often owing to urgency. Plastic trowels fill the hand and can move a volume of loose dirt; but I find they won't tolerate prying. I've yet to damage the Handy Scoop in any way, perhaps because it is too small in my hand to gain enough leverage. However, it will pry out stones and rubble that would snap the traditional plastic trowel. (The newer recycled Lexan trowels are cheap and strong, but large and heavy; criticisms I find equally applicable to other metal trowels I've tried.) I find it nearly impossible to dig without prying at some point.

            In firm, gravelly dirt I can move material easier and faster with the Handy Scoop. I find the small, relatively sharp blade cuts into dirt and humus more efficiently than a larger blade and doesn't torque the wrist on hurried excavations. While a larger blade has potentially more capacity, the more common conditions seem to prevent loading a large blade to its potential.

            In sand or such the Handy Scoop moves material slower than a larger trowel. However, when the ground is that loose, I find it more convenient just to scrape a hole with a boot heel.

            I'd say it works no better than a right angle stick, but it's comforting always to have digging capacity readily at hand for about the weight of a packet of energy gel.

            Handy Scoop quick shots:

            a) Low weight
            b) Small
            c) Expedient
            d) More $ than a stick
          • Ray
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2013
              Hi Joe,

              This looks very good. The only problem is that the Mont-Bell website URL needs to be an active link (clickable) in your HTML.

              If you can fix that (and test it in the TEST folder to make sure it is working) you can put the corrected version at:

              Reviews > Personal Hygiene > Trowels > MontBell Handy Scoop

              Or here: http://tinyurl.com/cc9v4cn

              Now on to number two!