Owner Review - Kovea Moonwalker Stove

  • greg rowlings
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
      Tester Information

      Name: Greg Rowlings
      Email: greg_rowlings@...
      Age: 37
      Location: Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
      Gender: Male
      Height: 1.74m
      Weight: 90kgs

      Bio: I have been hiking since a very early age. My playground was the Overland Track in Tasmania. I have been a guide for various trekking companies on the Overland Track. Additionally, I spent some time in the Australian Army walking around various parts of Australia. I have been on hiking trips through the Himalayas as well as Europe. I like to hike with my wife and/or friends. We usually go for 5-6 days and we carry packs between 16-25kgs. I like to use quality equipment that promotes reliabilty and durability.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Kovea
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.kovea.com/
      Listed Weight: 291g

      Note: For this review I will use a MSR 227g (8 oz) ISPPRO cannister that gives approx 2-3hrs a burn time (you can use smaller cannisters)

      Summary

      I have traditionally used an MSR Dragonfly as my stove of choice. However, due to flight restrictions I had to seek an alternative. MSR fuel stoves can be a little messy as well as dangerous for the less experienced user. I want something simple that my wife could use without freaking her out or burning down our tent!! I wanted a stable, compact and lightweight stove hat could hold a sizable pot. Looking at various options, I decided with the Kovea Moonwalker.

      Not knowing about the different sizes of gas cannisters, I bought three different sizes and used then on different overnight and 4 day walks with varied results. This model has a built in windshield, but for best results (especially in Tasmania), I suggest carrying the "traditional" windshield to maximum heating.

      Field Use

      So far I have used this stove on walks at sea level to cooking at altitude (Mt Ossa, 1617 m). Mostly I have used this stove to boil water or to re-hydrate food for four hikers. The large burner surface makes meal time a breeze and you can adjust the stove to allow for versatile cooking options. I have found that the 227g MSR ISOPRO cannister fives you excellent heat at altitude and at sea level. The burn time varies with altitude, however I find this size cannister last the trip and is compact enough that it doesnt take up too much space in your backpack.

      Things I like

      - I love the way this stove folds away neatly and has it's own container. This was a a strong selling point as the MSR Dragonfly could not match the Moonwalker in the department. The container fits neatly into our pot for added protection!!
      - My wife loves the ease of use, especially the Piezo ignition system. It's safe, reliable and so easy to use.
      - The extra wide legs are a huge bonus.....especially with clumsy hikers who "accidently" knock things over! Having stability means you can use a 2 litre pot with piece of mind!!
      - I like the length of the hose and the compact valve and tap.....it keeps the fuel source away from the stove - Saftey is paramount!!
      - As mentioned, the large burner surface caters for a variety of cooking options and delivers excellent heat when needed!
      - Less noise than the MSR Dragonfly....other campers will love you!!!

      Things I dont like

      - Whilst Kovea states that the windshield is suffcient, I can tell you that on a gusty day, this stove like most will not be as efficient. I suggest taking a windshielf to maximise heating.
      - As this is my first cannister stove, I cannot fault the product. As a conservationalist, it does take some getting use to disposing of used cannisters...hopefully one day someone will invent a re-useable product!!

      Conclusion

      This is an excellent product. It met all of my selection criteria. The ease of use and the lightweight folding capabilities score a huge tick. I highly recommend this product to anyone who hikes in small groups!!I am sad to say....the days of pumping and priming are over!!!

    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2013
        Greetings Greg,

        Good to see another Apple Ile tester coming on board.

        I see that you are from the north of the state.

        Jamie, another tester from Tassie comes from Hobart.

        Welcome.

        Cheers

        Ralph from WA

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 25, 2013
          Welcome to BGT Greg.

          Before I can accept your Owner Review and move it into our Edit Queue I need a bit more information. Please clarify the number of days and/or nights you have used this product in the field. After you have added an estimate of how many times you have used it to your report, repost the entire revised version to the Yahoo group, including the word REVISED in your subject line.

          I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our Edit Queue and you will be on your way to being contacted by an editor for an official edit.

          Thank you,
          Jamie DeBenedetto
          Editors Team Director