OR - Point6 Womens Socks - Dawn Larsen

  • vicioushillbilly
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2013
      Please find my second attempt below. Thanks for your comments. The url
      is: http://tinyurl.com/a9eakh3

      Dawn

      Point6 Hiking Tech Med Mini Crew Socks
      Owner Review

      Name: Dawn Larsen
      Age: 51
      Gender: female
      Height: 5' 4" (163 cm)
      Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
      Email address: vicioushillbilly AT gmail DOT com
      Florence, South Carolina USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just in the last
      few years have backpacked some private trails in Tennessee, Missouri
      and most recently South Carolina. I have been an avid car-camper for
      eleven years and I have kayak/canoe camped for four years, in South
      Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas. I use a lot of the same
      equipment for both. I hike hilly/rocky trails especially in Missouri
      (my home state) and Arkansas. I live in South Carolina and am busy
      checking out the terrain here with my nineteen year-old son.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Point6
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: www.point6.com
      MSRP: $17.95 US
      Measured dimensions flat: top of heel to top of sock - 3.5 in (89 mm),
      toe of sock to mid-point of heel - 7 in (178 mm)
      Advertised Weight: n/a
      Measured Weight: 1.88 oz (53 g)
      Color: Blue Violet (also comes in Taupe, Natural, Ocean, Gray, Black)
      Size: Women S (4-6.5, Eur 34-37), M (US 7-9.5, Eur 38-41), L (US
      10-12.5 Eur 42-4)
      Fabric content: 66% wool, 32% nylon, 2% spandex
      Made in USA

      sock and packaging sock on

      Product Description
      I had never heard of this brand before I found them in an online
      store. The packaging focuses on the socks, and the merino wool they
      are made from, and their ability to maintain the optimum temperature
      of my feet no matter what the outside conditions.They also claim
      durability. The socks are a cushioned mini-crew length that works
      best with low rise hiking shoes. They are bulkier in the darker areas
      on the sock. The toe and heel are reinforced (see diagram from the
      packaging , below). They also advertise that the size is knit inside
      the cuff. Um..it is and...OK...

      diagram

      Field Use
      I bought a medium pair in Blue Violet (I LOVE the color). I have worn
      these socks hiking, backpacking, and for everyday use. I have owned
      them for about six months. I have worn them in rather "opposite"
      conditions. I wore them in South Carolina on sandy, but even, soil in
      moderate temperatures of approximately 55 degrees F (12.8 C). I have
      also more recently worn them on trips in Missouri and Arkansas where
      temperatures were about 37 degrees F (2.8 C) and the terrain was
      uneven, rocky and fairly steep. I have worn them with my warm
      weather boots, as well as my low-rise hiking shoes. Though there is
      elastic support around the arch and top of the sock, these slide
      around on my feet a little more than I like, especially when I'm
      hiking on uneven terrain. I have issues with their claim of "superior
      anatomical fit." I found that I rely on them for warmth with my
      hiking shoes more than with backpacking/hiking boots because they are
      short and they slide around on my foot and they slip on my heels
      somewhat. They feel very cozy on. The cushioning is ample. They seem
      to wick moisture fairly well. They are warmer than other socks that I
      own and my feet sweat in them, but don't stay wet.

      I have washed and dried them many times and they have worn very well.
      They seem to have retained their shape and elasticity very well
      because they slipped when I first bought them.

      Summary
      I like these socks. I love the color. I wear them more with my
      hiking shoes for light hiking in winter, as well as for everyday use
      with other everyday shoes. I will continue to wear them, but probably
      not to backpack or hike in. I'm afraid with all the slipping that I
      will get blisters.

      What I like
      I love the color.
      They keep my feet warm.