OR - Point6 Socks

  • vicioushillbilly
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2013
      Here's my second OR. Thanks for the edits. The url is: http://tinyurl.com/a9eakh3

      Dawn

      Point6 Hiking Tech Med Mini Crew Socks
      Owner Review

      Name: Dawn Larsen
      Age: 51
      Gender: female
      Height: 5' 4" (163 cm)
      Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
      Email address: vicioushillbilly AT gmail DOT com
      Florence, South Carolina USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just in the last few years have backpacked some private trails in Tennessee, Missouri and most recently South Carolina. I have been an avid car-camper for eleven years and I have kayak/canoe camped for four years, in South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas. I use a lot of the same equipment for both. I hike hilly/rocky trails especially in Missouri (my home state) and Arkansas. I live in South Carolina and am busy checking out the terrain here with my nineteen year-old son.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Point 6
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: www.point6.com
      MSRP: $17.95 US
      Measured dimensions flat: top of heel to top of sock - 3.5 in (89 mm), toe of sock to mid-point of heel - 7 in (178 mm)
      Advertised Weight: n/a
      Measured Weight: 1.88 oz (53 g)
      Color: Blue Violet (also comes in Taupe, Natural, Ocean, Gray, Black)
      Size: Women S (4-6.5, Eur 34-37), M (US 7-9.5, Eur 38-41), L (US 10-12.5 Eur 42-4)
      Fabric content: 66% wool, 32% nylon, 2% spandex
      Made in USA

      sock and packaging sock on

      Product Description
      I had never heard of this brand before I found them in an online store. The packaging focuses on temperature maintaining that the socks' merino wool will keep my feet at the optimum temperture whether the outdoors is warm or cold. They also claim durability. These socks are a cushioned mini-crew length that work best with low rise hiking shoes. They are bulkier in the darker areas on the sock. The toe and heel are reinforced (see diagram from the packaging , below). They also advertise that the size is knit inside the cuff. Um..it is and...OK...

      diagram

      Field Use
      I bought a medium pair in Blue Violet (I LOVE the color). I have worn these socks hiking, backpacking, and for everyday use. I have owned them for about six months. I have worn them with my warm weather boots, as well as my low-rise hiking shoes. Though there is elastic support around the arch and top of the sock, these slide around on my feet a little more than I like. I have issues with their claim of "superior anatomical fit." I found that I rely on them for warmth with my hiking shoes more than with backpacking/hiking boots because they are short and they slide around on my foot and they slip on my heels somewhat. They feel very cozy on. The cushioning is ample. They seem to wick moisture fairly well. They are warmer than other socks that I own and my feet sweat in them, but don't stay wet.

      I have washed and dried them many times and they have worn very well. They seem to have retained their shape and elasticity very well because they slipped when I first bought them.

      Summary
      I like these socks. I love the color. I wear them more with my hiking shoes for light hiking in winter, as well as for everyday use with other everyday shoes. I will continue to wear them, but probably not to backpack or hike in. I'm afraid with all the slipping that I will get blisters.

      What I like
      I love the color.
      They keep my feet warm.
      They feel nice and cozy on my feet.

      What I don't like
      They don't fit as tightly as I like.
      They slip around my heel.
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2013
        Hi Dawn

        Thanks for the OR's. I took the other one too but there is some question as to whether or not it can go forward as it is no longer made. So we will skip to this one.

        I have a few edits and would like to see it again as there is some info missing. Please repost once corrected. (Your name should be in the subject line too.)

        Ray

        ***Point 6 Hiking Tech Med Mini Crew Socks

        ***Manufacturer: Point 6

        EDIT: their spelling has the 6 jammed up tight like so; Point6. Please change all instances

        ***The packaging focuses on temperature maintaining that the socks' merino wool will keep my feet at the optimum temperture whether the outdoors is warm or cold.

        EDIT: second "temperature". Plus this sentence really reads awkwardly to me. Maybe,
        The packaging focuses on the socks, and the merino wool they are made from, ability to maintain optimum temperature of my feet no matter what the outside conditions.

        ***These socks are a cushioned mini-crew length that work best with low rise hiking shoes.

        EDIT: "The" socks are a cushioned mini-crew length that "works" best with low rise hiking shoes.

        *** I have worn these socks hiking, backpacking, and for everyday use.

        EDIT: can you please give some field data as far as backpacking use? Terrain types, temps, conditions, etc.