REPOST: OR - Outdoor Products Cyclone Hydration Reservoir - Jim Russell

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2013
      OUTDOOR PRODUCTS CYCLONE HYDRATION RESERVOIR
      BY JIM RUSSELL
      OR
      December 21, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jim Russell
      EMAIL: e_portfolio@...
      AGE: 45
      LOCATION: Virginia Beach, VA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
      WEIGHT: 160 lb (72.60 kg)

      Backpacking Background: As a teen, I have hiked extensively as a Boy Scout, but stopped hiking for about 25 years. In the past 5 years I've re-connected with scouting since my kids have joined and I've been actively participating on a wide variety of outings in that time. Most outings have been 2-day/1-night with the occasional weeklong trip. This year I've begun hiking and camping again and my future plans include section hiking the Appalachian Trail. My goals are to hike with as light a pack as possible and to be hiking during all four seasons.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Products
      Year of Manufacture: Unknown
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.outdoorproducts.com" LINK TEXT = "Outdoor Products">>
      MSRP: Unknown
      Listed Weight: Not Listed
      Measured Weight: 6 oz (170 g)
      Measured Size (L x W x H): Empty bladder is 15.5 x 7.25 x 1.0 inches (39.4 x 18.4 x 2.5 cm); hose with quick connect and bite valve is 42.75 inches (108.5 cm) long.
      Sizes Available: 2.0 liters
      Colors Available: Gray/Blue

      The Outdoor Products Cyclone Hydration Reservoir is described as a 100% hi-grade tasteless and odorless polyurethane bladder with a clear (looks tinted) 11 mm polyurethane delivery hose. The outside of the bladder has useful information printed in blue that includes gradated measuring lines for water volume (0.5 L, 1.0 L, 1.5 L, 2.0 L & 16 oz, 32 oz, 48 oz, 64 oz), a description of how to use the quick connect system at the integral co-molded hose attachment, cleaning and storage information, bite valve adjustment tips, warranty information, bite valve replacement instructions, warnings and recommended temperature ranges (120 F, 50 C, 5 F, -20 C). Having discarded the packaging, I find that having this information printed right on the product to be very useful.

      This product is constructed of BPA-free material and can be placed inside the hydration chamber available in many backpacks. The hose attaches and detaches easily by using the built-in quick connect system. The Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) bite valve conveniently screws off for easy cleaning or replacement.

      The manufacturer warns that this product is made of small parts and, if detached, can be a choking hazard for young children. The manufacturer also warns that this reservoir system should not be filled with alcohol, food or dairy products.

      Finally, the manufacturer provides a full guarantee against defects in workmanship and materials to the original purchaser for one year from the date of purchase.

      FIELD REVIEW

      I originally purchased 2 of these bladders for a biking hydration pack about 3 years ago. My son and I have used them on several scouting trips such as caving, biking and hiking. In the approximately 10 days of use, neither of us have had any trouble with leaking bladders, hoses or bite valves. However, we have not used this product in temperatures less than 40 F (4 C).

      I like many of the features this system has to offer such as a large 2-1/16" (5.2 cm) inside diameter fill opening. Not only does this "EZ FILL" feature practically eliminate spills while filling and allow the bladder to be filled without removing from the backpack, it's also wide enough to add ice cubes. There are also 2 tabs (one above and one below) that make holding the bladder easy while filling. The top tab also allows the bladder to be clipped to the top (inside) of a backpack or hung from some type of support structure around camp such as a tree or dining fly.

      The flexible bite valve fit comfortably in my mouth and to allow the flow of water I simply bite the valve with my teeth. I found the flow of water to be adequate, but would prefer more water per sip.

      The bite valve is removable by twisting the bite valve 4 full turns while the filler cap takes ½ turn to remove. These features make cleaning the system very easy. As mentioned earlier in this review, the replacement information is printed directly on the bladder.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Integral co-molded attachment for the hose">>

      The hose is attached to the bladder by an integral co-molded attachment with a quick release. This is convenient if I want to carry a second bladder without having to carry a second hose and bite valve. I could simply store the additional bladder, filled or empty, and swap bladders when needed. However, this integration of the quick release means that if it breaks, I will have to replace the entire bladder. If the bladder needs replacing, the hose/bite valve assembly can be used as a spare for the replacement system.

      The bladder also includes Outdoor Product's LastDrop profile at the bottom of the bladder that allows the user to suck out all available water.

      This bladder has survived being stuffed in several hydration chambers of various packs such as biking backpacks, day packs and expedition packs as well as survived the packing pressure of gear stowed by not only an adult, but that of a pre-teenage scout.

      SUMMARY

      The Outdoor Products Cyclone Hydration System is a sturdy, low-cost, reliable hydration system. While it may not be an ultralight product, it's a strong system with several convenient features.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Large top mounted fill opening for no-mess filling
      Ability to add ice to bladder through large fill opening
      Bladder does not need to be removed from pack to fill
      Inexpensive
      Can hang system from a tree while in camp
      Important information is printed directly on the bladder

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Heavy

      SIGNATURE

      Jim Russell