Black Diamond Infinity 60 Pack, Mens

  • waynec346
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2012
      Black Diamond Infinity 60 Pack

      http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/packs/infinity-60-pack

      Great pack.
      Also comes in a 50 litre model and womens Innova models, comes in different sizes for back lengths.
      Black diamond created the totally new ergoACTIV suspension system for their range of larger packs.
      It involves using a ball joint where the pack attaches to the hip belt enabling a greater freedom of movement in teh hips as you walk over rough terrain.
      The suspension system has also been combined with the "swing arm" shoulder straps to allow for further freedom of movement in the shoulders. Basically the shoulder straps rather than be attached to the pack at the base are linked to each other through the base of the pack by a cable that runs along a channel, as you walk, one shoulder strap lengthens and the other shortens as your upper body rotates at the hips with each stride.
      iId rate it as the most comfortable harness system i've tried, from a variety of pack brands. I hardly notice i'm wearing the pack, i had reduced fatigued on your back and shoulders.
      The pack has an internal frame of a wire running around the perimeter of the back, again allowing flexibility, a plastic plate runs up the back to provide extra support.
      I took this pack over the cascade saddle and down the dart river on a 65km trip,
      The saddle involved a 1400 metre climb and a 900 metre descent over 17 kilometres in a day on rough ground, loaded with 16kg of gear. I couldn't be happier with the pack, no problems with comfort, load distribues well on the hip belt and shoulder straps.. I removed it twice during the trip, the longest stretch i had the pack on was three and a half hours climbing the saddle.
      I"ve taken the pack on several other multi day trips. Routeburn track twice, Kepler track. Tongariro Norther Circuit. the pack was comfortable every time.
      Theres a large stretchy sleeve pocket on the front to stash some reasonably large items such as storm gear or warm jacket for quick access.
      two side stretchy pockets for quick access to smaller items bottles, snacks, hat etc.
      Also has lid pocket and water bladder sleeve.
      at 1.75kg its a reasonably light pack without sacrificing anything for features or support.
      The Infinity remains by go to pack for trips requiring between 45 to 60 liters of gear.
      There are few brands on the market making harness systems that compare to Black diamonds, and none that i can think of combining the swing arm and ergoACTIV type systems.
      Similarly designed packs can cost hundreds of dollars more.

      The ergoACTIV and swing arm systems are incorporated into several Black Diamond models from 22 litres up to 75 litres in size
      I will be testing out their 75 litre Mercury pack over summer. This is a more fully featured pack with a main compartment zipper that opens out length ways.
      I will also test out the 40 litre axiom pack which is a smaller version of the Infinity minus the ball joint on the hip belt.
      Bivouac in new zealand sell black diamond packs.
      Black diamond will not ship overseas from online sales in the states.