REVISED: OR - OUTDOOR PRODUCTS CYCLONE HYDRATION RESERVOIR - BY JIM RUSSELL

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2012
      OUTDOOR PRODUCTS CYCLONE HYDRATION RESERVOIR
      BY JIM RUSSELL
      OR
      December 21, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jim Russell
      EMAIL: e_portfolio@...
      AGE: 44
      LOCATION: Virginia Beach, VA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 160 lb (72.60 kg)

      Backpacking Background: As a teen, I have hiked extensively as a Boy Scout, but stopped hiking for about 25 years. In the past 5 years I've re-connected with scouting since my kids have joined and I've been actively participating on a wide variety of outings in that time. Most outings have been 2-day/1-night with the occasional weeklong trip. This year I've begun hiking and camping again and my future plans include section hiking the Appalachian Trail. My goals are to hike with as light a pack as possible and to be hiking during all four seasons.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Products
      Year of Manufacture: Unknown
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.outdoorproducts.com" LINK TEXT = "Outdoor Products">>
      MSRP: Unknown
      Listed Weight: Not Listed
      Measured Weight: 6 oz (170 g)
      Measured Size (L x W x H): Empty bladder is 15.5 x 7.25 x 1.0 inches; Hose with quick connect and bite valve is 42.75 inches long.
      Sizes Available: 2.0 Liters
      Colors Available: Gray/Blue

      The Outdoor Products Cyclone Hydration Bladder is described as a 100% hi-grade tasteless and odorless polyurethane bladder with an clear (looks tinted) 11mm polyurethane delivery hose. The outside of the bladder has useful information printed in blue that includes gradated measuring lines for water volume (0.5L, 1.0L, 1.5L, 2.0L & 16oz, 32 oz, 48 oz, 64 oz), a description of how to use the quick connect system at the integral co-molded hose attachment, cleaning and storage information, bite valve adjustment tips, warranty information, bite valve replacement instructions, warnings and recommended temperature ranges (+120F, +50C, -5F, -20C). Having discarded the packaging, I find that having this information printed right on the product to be very useful.

      MANUFACTURER PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      Cyclone® Hydration Reservoir
      Volume : 2.0 Liter
      · 100% odorless, tasteless, BPA- Free material
      · V-shaped body allows reservoir to easily slip into any 2L hydration bag
      · Quick-connect hose attaches and detaches from reservoir with ease
      · Screw-off bite valve is made from flexible silicone material. Great flow for effortless large sips

      RETAIL PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The BPA-free Cyclone Hydro Reservoir features a screw-in bite valve and a quick connect hose for easy cleaning.

      Cyclone Hydro Reservoir:
      · Last Drop integral molded bottom attachment has been added to ensure that you can get out all the precious fluid you put in
      · Built-in basin at the bottom collects the remaining drops of your beverage
      · Quick connect hose
      · Equipped with a quick connect hose release which allows you to easily remove the hose for a thorough cleaning
      · Reservoir bite valve is uniquely molded for exceptional performance
      · Flexible TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer) provides a comfortable bite that makes large sips easy
      · Internal reinforcing ribs insure its durability and bite longevity
      · Reservoir bite valve can be easily removed for cleaning with our secure screw-on attachment
      · Low profile cap packs easily into bags
      · Odorless and taste-free hose
      · Cap handle makes filling easy
      · Odorless and taste-free reservoir
      · Made from 100 percent BPA-free materials

      Product Dimensions in Inches (L x W x H): 6.0 x 8.5 x 1.5
      Price: $9.97

      CLEANING AND STORAGE

      1. Unscrew bite valve from hose
      2. Unscrew reservoir cap
      3. Remove hose from bladder using quick release
      4. Scrub all parts with baking soda/water
      5. Shake, empty and rinse
      6. Put 1 cup water and 1 tsp lemon juice into bladder
      7. Shake, empty and rinse
      8. Make sure parts are all dry before storing
      9. Put all parts back together and leave cap unscrewed to store dry
      10. Store in cool location, or store in freezer partially full

      USING THE BITE VALVE

      1. Roll end between fingers to open the hole
      2. Do not use a knife or sharp object to open the hole
      3. Bite down on valve to drink
      4. Release bite to stop water flow

      USING THE BLADDER

      1. Fill the reservoir to desired amount
      2. Screw on and tighten cap
      3. Squeeze bladder to test seal
      4. If freezing the water, fill only ¾ full

      PRINTED MANUFACTURER WARNINGS

      1. Before using this bladder system, make sure that the bite valve and the bladder are firmly screwed to the hose. Failure to do so may result in leaking at these locations.
      2. Parents of children six years old or younger, please do not allow your child to use this Hydration System. The bite valve may detach from the tubing, creating a choking hazard.
      3. No Alcohol
      4. No Food
      5. No Dairy
      6. -5F to +120F
      7. -20C to +50C

      MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY

      (Source: Manufacturer Website)

      Limited Warranty on Lifestyle Accessories and Hard Goods
      Journey with confidence! We at The Outdoor Recreation Group are committed to providing you with high-quality lifestyle accessories and hard goods. Every item we make is fully guaranteed against defects in workmanship and materials to the original purchaser for one (1) year from date of purchase.

      FIELD USE

      I originally purchased 2 of these bladders for a biking hydration pack about 3 years ago. My son and I have used them on several scouting trips such as caving, biking and hiking. In the approximately 10 days of use, neither of us have had any trouble with leaking bladders, hoses or bite valves. However, we have not tested this product in temperatures less than +40F.

      Although slightly heavier than other hydration systems, I like many of the features this one has to offer such as a larger (2-1/16" Inside Diameter) fill opening. Not only does this "EZ FILL" feature practically eliminate spills while filling and allow the bladder to be filled without removing from the backpack, it's also wide enough to add ice cubes. There are also 2 tabs (one above and one below) that make holding the bladder easy while filling. The top tab also allows the bladder to be clipped to the top (inside) of a backpack or hung from some type of support structure around camp such as a tree or dining fly.

      The bite valve is removable by twisting the bite valve 4 full turns while the filler cap takes ½ turn to remove. These features make cleaning the system very easy. As mentioned earlier in this review, the replacement information is printed directly on the bladder. For a bite valve replacement, contact The Outdoor Recreation Group, 1919 Vineburn Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90032.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Integral co-molded attachment for the hose">>

      The hose is attached to the bladder by an integral co-molded attachment with a quick release. This is convenient if you want to carry a second bladder without having to carry a second hose and bite valve. Just store the additional bladder, filled or empty, and swap bladders when needed. However, this integration of the quick release means that if it breaks, you will have to replace the entire bladder. If the bladder needs replacing, the hose/bite valve assembly can be used as a spare for the replacement system.

      The bladder also includes Outdoor Product's LastDrop profile at the bottom of the bladder that allows the user to suck out all available water.

      This bladder has survived being stuffed in several hydration chambers of various packs such as biking backpacks, day packs and expedition packs as well as survived the packing pressure of gear stowed by not only an adult, but that of a pre-teenage scout.

      SUMMARY

      The Outdoor Products Cyclone Hydration System is a sturdy, low-cost, reliable hydration system. While it may not be an ultralight product, it's a strong system with convenient features that other better known brands do not include.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Large top mounted fill opening for no-mess filling
      Ability to add ice to bladder through large fill opening
      Bladder does not need to be removed from pack to fill
      Inexpensive
      Can hang system from a tree while in camp
      Important information is printed directly on the bladder

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Heavier than other hydration systems on the market

      SIGNATURE

      Jim Russell

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.