OWNER REVIEW - Handy Scoop

  • Jlee Snow
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2012
      TESTER INFORMATION:

      NAME: Joe Schaffer
      EMAIL:    never2muchstuff@...
      AGE:      65
      GENDER:   Male
      HEIGHT:   5’9”  (1.75 meters)
      WEIGHT:   175#  (79.4 kilos)
      HOME:  Hayward, CA

      Backpacking bit me in the Pacific NW over 50 years ago. Since 2001 I’ve cavorted mostly in California, up to 95 nights a year. I camp every month; about half the time solo. I’m an insatiable gear hog working part time at an outdoor store; and a convicted comfort camper lugging tent, mattress, chair, etc. Summer trips last typically a week to 10 days; 40#, about half food related; about 5 miles per hiking day. I winter camp at 6-7k; 2-3 nights; 55#; 1-4 miles on snowshoes.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Mont-Bell
      Web site: http://www.montbell.us/
      Product: Handy Scoop
      Year purchased: 2010

      My measures:
      Weight:  1 3/8oz  (39gms)
      Length: 6 1/4” (159mm)
      Handle length:  3” (76mm)
      Handle width:  7/8”  (22mm)
      Blade length:  3.25”  (83mm)
      Blade width (max): 1 9/16” (40mm)

      Cost: (2010 delivered): $15

      Factory specs (from website):
      Weight: 1.4 oz
      Length: 6.25”
      MSRP: $16

      Product Description:

      Longitudinally curved stainless steel 1mm thick with plastic-coated handle and a webbing strap.

      Field conditions:

      I’ve tried this product in all kinds of terra firma from sand to humus.

      Observations:

      I don’t know how many Red Snappers I’ve snapped over the years, often owing to urgency. The old plastic trowels fill the hand and can move a volume of loose dirt; but they won’t tolerate prying. The Handy Scoop won’t break or bend, perhaps in part because it isn’t big enough to get a lot of leverage. However, it will pry out stones and rubble that would snap the traditional plastic trowel. (The newer trowels made of recycled Lexan are cheap and very strong, but also heavy.) I find it nearly impossible to dig without prying at some point.

      In sand, the plastic trowel will move material much faster than the Handy Scoop. However, when the ground is that loose, I find it more convenient just to scrape a hole with a boot heel.

      In firm gravelly dirt, the Handy Scoop beats a plastic trowel for ease and speed. The small, relatively sharp blade cuts into dirt and humus more easily than a larger blade and won’t torque the wrist on hurried excavations. While a larger blade has potentially more capacity, the more common conditions prevent loading a large blade to its potential.

      It isn’t any better than a right angle stick, so the hardest core minimalist cannot be denied his or her objection. I find it comforting to know I always have digging capacity readily at hand for about the weight of a gel.

      Handy Scoop quick shots:

      a)    Low weight
      b)    Small
      c)    Expedient
      d)    More $ than a stick

                                -30-

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26, 2012
        Welcome to BGT Joe.

        Right up front, thank you for choosing a simple item to review on your first attempt. Before I can accept your Owner Review and move it into our Edit Queue I need a bit more information. Please clarify the number of days and/or nights you have used this product in the field. After you have added an estimate of how many times you have used it to your report, repost the entire revised version to the Yahoo group, including the word REVISED in your subject line.

        I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our Edit Queue and you will be on your way to being contacted by an editor for an official edit.

        Thank you,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Editors Team Director

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Jlee Snow <never2muchstuff@...> wrote:

        > TESTER INFORMATION:
        >
        > NAME: Joe Schaffer
        > EMAIL:    never2muchstuff@...
        > AGE:      65
        > GENDER:   Male
        > HEIGHT:   5’9”  (1.75 meters)
        > WEIGHT:   175#  (79.4 kilos)
        > HOME:  Hayward, CA
      • never2muchstuff
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2013
          Thank you, Jamie. For reasons I would probably not understand even if I knew, I failed to find your very timely reply until today. I've reposted a revision to address your comment. joe