OWNIR REVIEW (THE NORTH FACE -TUNDRA -20 F SLEEPING BAG)

  • Adam Albertson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2012
      THE NORTH FACE -TUNDRA -20 F SLEEPING BAG
      Owner review of The North Face tundraTEST SERIES BY ADAM ALBERTSON
      IR
      December 14, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Adam Albertson
      EMAIL: Outdoorsman719@...
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: Canon City Colorado U.S.A
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I have been an avid Backpacker for 7years. My trips range from day hikes to week long trips.I backpack 12 months out of the year in all weather conditions.  I prefer extended trips into the Colorado high country during the summer and lower altitude Colorado Desert  trips in the winter. My day hikes consist of peak bagging or  rough,steep bushwacks .  I consider myself to be an ultra light Backpacker that makes additional sacrifices for comfort.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: The North Face
      Year of Manufacture: 2010/2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.thenorthface.com">>
      MSRP: US$259
      Listed Weight: 4lbs0oz (1.81kg)
      Measured Weight: 4lbs 6 oz (2.1kg)
      Other details:<<image1>>
      Temperature rating: -20f  (-11.10 C)
      Size : regular right hand zip

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Packaging, Initial Impressions, Materials, Construction, and Features as appropriate.

      The bag arrived in a mesh loft bag that allows the bag to be contained without being "stuffed" in a sack.

      Compression sack included.

      The bag is constructed of ripstop Nylon with Primaloft* insulation.

      All the seams and sewing on the baffles seemed quality.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Any notes on instructions.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I purchased The North Face -Tundra 20-F sleeping bag in November 2011 <<link1>>.The first night i used it directly on the ground with a foam cell sleeping pad in a desert environment 5500ft (1676m).It was a cold windy November night with temperatures down to 5 F* (-14C), The bag preformed great . I was impressed how  windproof the bag was with no tent. I also liked  the hood adjustment and draft collar.The next trip was a December night at an elevation of 9000ft  (2743m), I used the bag with a bivy sack  and foam cell pad . The first night was down to -4F (-19C) and again the bag proved to be warm and comfortable when used with a light base layer.The next night was a bit warmer ,so i had no doubt the bag would preform well.
      Initial experiences with the product.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I purchased this sleeping bag for the sole purpose of  cold weather Winter backpacking.I did my homework as to select the best bag for warmth,weight and price.

      Your testing strategy.  This can probably come from your Application, but feel free to elaborate.

      SUMMARY

      A brief summary.
      The North Face Tundra sleeping bag  -20f   (-28.88C) Has met my need for a cold weather bag.

      PROS: Easy use draft collar and draw string hood.
                    Solid design and construction
                    True to temperature rating
                    Affordable price

      CONS: The zipper snags often and requires a gentle two hand operation.
                    This sleeping bag is a little tight in the knee area,If you need to adjust your socks while in the bag.

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 26, 2012
        Welcome to BGT Adam. I see you were invited by John. That's great! We are happy to have you here and hope you will be able to jump into the tester pool very soon. First, we need to get you going on this first Owner Review (OR). This is not an official edit. Before I can accept your Owner Review and move it into our Edit Queue where you will be paired with an Editor I have to make sure the basics are met. You have a good start with this OR but you've omitted a very important piece of info. You will need to clarify the TOTAL number of days and/or nights you have used this product in the field. Please add an estimate of how many times you have used it to your report and then repost the revised version to the yahoo group using the word REVISED in your subject line.

        Additionally, it would be most helpful is you'd take a moment to spell check and proofread your work before reposting to the Yahoo group. This will help your Editor immensely and allow you to move thru the edit process a ton faster.

        After you have posted the REVISED version I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our edit queue and you will be on your way to getting an official edit.

        Thank you,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Editors Team Director