Owner Review: Coleman MAX Micro Stove – Jas on Huber

  • Jason Huber
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2012
      COLEMAN MAX
      BY JASON HUBER
      OR
      December 07, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jason Huber
      EMAIL: jasonhuio3er@...
      AGE: 30
      LOCATION: Chicago, Illinois, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 160 lb (72.60 kg)

      I began hiking by knocking out sections of the Appellation trail. Pretty quickly I recognized that specialty gear provides a huge advantage. Hiking got hi tech from then on. Gear testing, swapping and a ceaseless drive to find lighter better quality stuff to keep me sustained has been part of my life ever since. Besides sharing a love of hiking with you, I'm a kayaker, pro-skier/snowboarder and runner.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Coleman
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.coleman.com/products/2000" LINK TEXT = "Coleman Products">>
      MSRP: US$ None given, mine was $24.99
      Listed Dry Weight: 6.7 oz (190 g)
      Listed Weight With Full Fuel Canister: 20.1 oz (569 g)
      Measured Dry Weight: 6 oz (170 g)
      Other details:
      10,000 btu
      On high has a 60 minute burn time per fuel canister.
      Bolis 1 liter of water in 3.25 minutes.

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Coleman MAX">>
      I used this stove for two backpacking seasons, which included three week long section hikes of the Appellation trail. Many meals were made without a single problem.
      The stove is very durable and made with quality products. I never felt a need for a case, I just threw it in with the rest of my gear after each use. There are no intricate parts or bendable burner supports on this thing.
      The burner stand of this stove came from the factory completely level; my pan never came off if I set the stove on a flat surface. My pot never wobbled on top of this stove (some lower quality stoves can allow a pot to wobble on the burner like a table with un even legs).
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Secure Base">>

      With that quality though comes some extra weight. The extra weight in my opinion is worth the quality since it's within just an ounce or so of some lighter stoves.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Original Package">>
      The serrated pot supports fold back to make it slightly more compact.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Folding Supports">>
      Fuel for this stove has always been easily accessible.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Coleman MAX">>
      Flame adjustment is no problem from simmer to high.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 7">>

      SUMMARY

      Overall I've been real happy with this little stove. The quality, dependability and design fit my purposes just fine.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Price is great.
      Super durable.
      Well balanced / good quality.
      Quiet vs other stoves that use the same fuel type.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Heavier and bulkier than other options.

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2012

        Editors Team Director
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 26, 2012
          Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org Jason,

          Thank you for your Owner Review and your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now your review is lacking in some areas and cannot be accepted for editing at this time. I have heard back from the Edit Team and apparently there is also some contention about which Coleman stove this is actually because apparently the Coleman Max Micro is no longer sold.
          It is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing process. At this point you have two options:

          1) Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Mentor(at)backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST in the subject line.

          2) Take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below). In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

          Regardless of which option you take, we certainly hope you will give it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

          Editors Team Director