OR - Skhoop Short Down Skirt - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2012
      OR Editors,
      Here is an OR for the December BP call. I must say that is one piece of clothing that I never dreamed I would love so much! Thanks for the edits, Gail

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/aty4q2l

      Owner Review:
      Skhoop Short Down Skirt

      December 4, 2012

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Gail Staisil
      Age: 60
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 152 lb (68 kg)
      Email: woodswoman2001 AT yahoo DOT com
      Location: Marquette, Michigan USA

      For the last two decades, backpacking has become a passion. I am a four-season backpacker and an off-trail navigator. Although I do take yearly trips to the American West or Southwest, the majority of my trips are in Michigan and Canada. My pack weight varies considerably, but my base weight is under 14 lb (6.35 kg). I am primarily a tarp camper who averages over 50 nights a year backpacking in a huge variety of weather conditions including relentless rain, wet snow and sub-zero (0 F/-18 C) temps.

      Manufacturer
          Skhoop
      Year of Manufacture
          2010
      URL     http://www.skhoop.com
      Model
          Short Down Skirt
      Materials
          100 percent Polyester with 500-fill down (80 percent) and feathers (20 percent)
      Size and Color

      XL (available in sizes XS-XXXL)
      Black (also available in Green, Plum, Turquoise and Navy)
      Listed Weight
          NA
      Measured Weight
          9.7 oz (275 g)
      MSRP
          $159.00 US

      Product Description

      The Skhoop Down Skirt is a winter skirt that has both function for sport and warmth for outdoor activity. When I first saw the Skhoop Skirts (in different lengths) at a local independent outdoor store I was a bit skeptical as to how functional they would be. Afterall, I had never skied or snowshoed in a skirt up to that time although historically women have certainly done so.

      Although many people buy a winter skirt for just style purposes (around town) my pragmatic nature had to justify that it would be used for more than that. After talking to other women that had them and used them for winter sports I decided that it would be a great purchase. Of course I waited until there was a good sale as the retail price closely aligns with a down sweater purchase.

      Skhoop is a Scandinavian company that also retails in the United States. They currently label themselves as "The Original Skirt Company".  This certainly applies as I noticed that there are now a number of manufacturers making and retailing winter skirts where I was aware of none other than Skhoop several years back. When I purchased my Skhoop skirt, they did have a long skirt and mini skirt model and some other selections but now their inventory of styles is quite remarkable.

      So what exactly is a winter skirt and why would I want to wear one? The Skhoop skirt is insulated and the 500-fill power consists of 80 percent down and 20 percent feathers. The material used for the skirt is Polyester which is wind proof and water repellent. The insulation was placed between wave-patterned sewn baffles which adds to the design element as well.

      The skirt has a completely sewn-in lining made out of a light material (Polyester). It has a 2-way YKK zipper on the right side to make getting in and removing the skirt easy. There is also a one-way YKK zipper on the left side. This zipper works from the bottom and opens up more than half way. Other details include five belt loops, two flower decals and an elasticized waistband (back). There are also two zippered pockets one of which is located near each side seam. All of the zippers on the skirt have an easy-to-grasp rubber pull. All of these details add style and function to the skirt although I really haven't found any use for the belt loops. I really can't imagine why anyone would wear a belt with this skirt but that's my opinion.

      Field Information

      I own the Skhoop Short Down Skirt. As aforementioned there are other model choices but this one is the perfect length for me (for activities) with a side seam of approximately 20 in (51 cm). It has enough coverage for bending over but more importantly the length is perfect for active sports such as cross country skiing and snowshoeing. I have also pulled my sledge in and out to a rustic cabin while wearing the skirt.

      The skirt adds extra warmth when worn over pants or another kind of layer. As a side note, the hem of the skirt is shorter in front than the back.

      When I bought the Skhoop skirt I decided to up a size from my regular size so that I would have plenty of room to layer. I have been happy with that decision as I wanted it to be more versatile. I normally wear close-fitting ski pants underneath the skirt but at other times I have simply worn a single layer of long wool underwear. It could also be worn with Lycra sport tights although I have not done so.

      I usually only wear my skirt when the weather is quite cold (below 20 F/-7 C). It really keeps my back end warm! If I don't wear it during an activity, I often wear it before and after the event especially if I am out and about doing errands while wearing cross country ski or other active sports clothing. That type of clothing is often very light in weight and not especially warm during inactivity.

      What I really love about the skirt is how functional it really is. When I skate ski (cross country), I open the zippers up part way so that it doesn't interfere with my technique. It also functions well for my other winter activities and an added bonus is that I have found it is very fun to wear a skirt again! I have organized several women's skirt-ski outings the last two winters for my active friends in a couple of outdoor groups that I belong to. Although we wear a variety of skirts for these events it really has made wearing a skirt fun again!

      The Skhoop skirt has been very easy to care for. I have machine washed it a few times per the manufacturer's instructions which included tumble drying on a cold or air setting. The durability of the skirt is not in question. The fabric has held up well and the zippers are completely functional.

      I have owned and worn the Skhoop Skirt several dozen times during the past two winters and have already worn it a couple of times this winter.
      All of my activity while wearing the skirt has been in the State of Michigan, USA. I have skied, snowshoed and pulled my sledge in hilly boreal and deciduous forests and on frozen lakes. Elevations have ranged from 700 ft (213 m) to almost 2000 ft (610 m) and temps have ranged from 25 F (-4 C) to well below O F (-18 C).

      Pros:

          * Easy to put on and remove
          * Warm
          * Durable
          * Easy care
          * Practical, functional and fun!

      Cons:

          * Waistband loops aren't necessary
          * Very pricey unless on sale
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2012

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2012
          Hi Gail,

          Thanks for the OR in answer of the call. Looks like a fun product, love the pic in the snow. I have a few edits for you after which you may place it at:

          Reviews > Clothing > Skirts and Kilts > Skhoop Short Down Skirt

          If the blizzard that is hitting us right now keeps heading east you can use it later. ;-)

          Ray

          EDIT:

          *** Afterall, I had never skied or snowshoed in a skirt up to that time

          EDIT: After all (two words)

          ***The material used for the skirt is Polyester

          EDIT: no cap for polyester as it is not a proper noun

          *** The insulation was placed between wave-patterned sewn baffles

          Edit: are they baffles or just sewn-through seams? (The website says seams.)

          ***The skirt has a completely sewn-in lining made out of a light material (Polyester).

          Edit/comment: no cap on the poly. So does it have a separate lining in addition to the inside shell? So you don't see the wave pattern on the inside? (I am trying to visualize your skirt. Hmm, that didn't come out right;-)

          ***Other details include five belt loops, two flower decals

          Comment: I would mention that the flowers are their logo