EDIT/APPROVAL: IBEX ARLBERG VEST – Richard Lyon

  • Pamela
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2012
      EDIT: IBEX ARLBERG VEST – Richard Lyon

      Hello Richard,

      You have the misfortune of being the first recipient of my rusty red pen, so here we go.

      You know the drill –

      EDIT: must change
      Edit: needs changed, your discretion as to how
      Comment: Something to think about, or simply a thought that struck me as I was reading.

      Pam

      Ibex doubtless named this vest after a mountain massif in the Austrian Tyrolian Alps with this background in mind.

      ### Edit/comment: I've been out of editing for a while, and maybe projection isn't as strictly frowned on as it was before, but I believe this would be projection at its most virulent. <grin>. Can you re-word so that you aren't making the assumption as to the motivation of Ibex, while tying in the Alps connection? Maybe, the vest shares the name of a mountain massif in the Austrian Tyrolian Alps, making me think of the connection… Or something to that effect.

      The yoke on the Arlberg has a raglan-style cut, with a separate piece of fabric on each side of the collar, each of which in turn is sewn to crescent-shaped piece that crosses my upper back.

      ### Edit: …sewn to *a* crescent-shaped…

      A small Ibex logo, discreetly embroidered in red thread, sits in the center at the top of this back piece.

      ### Comment: This read a little awkwardly to me. You could simplify it a bit with something like: A small Ibex logo, discreetly embroidered in red thread is centered on the top of the back piece. Strictly your call on changing or not.

      The vest opens and closes by means of a heavy center zipper that's protected by a storm flap. There are two zippered handwarmer pockets on the outside, two large stash pockets, open at the top, on the inside, and a stand-up cadet-style collar with a soft liner, in a contrasting color (mine is black).

      ### Comment: Suggest switching order here a bit both to read more smoothly and to better designate what the adjectives are describing - …two large, open at the top, stash pockets on the inside, and a stand-up cadet-style collar with a soft, contrasting color liner (mine is black).

      Color: Red Heather; when I bought it in 2010 the vest was also available in Black and Green Loden Heather. (Green is the color of traditional Austrian loden coats.) Now available in Red Rocks Heather (looks like orange), Blue Yonder Heather, Field Heather (loden green), and Black.

      ### Comment: I'm going to throw something out here – I am a little confused by the areas where Loden/loden is capitalized and the areas where it isn't. I went online to try to find some resolution to this, and found none – it seemed to also be randomly capitalized or lower case in different areas. It sticks out quite a bit here, where it's used both ways. (Ibex seems to always capitalize it for what that's worth, although they also capitalize the color names Black, Green, etc, as you've written). Would it make sense to stick with either capitalizing it or using lower case? If you choose lower case, I think it would make sense to also go with lower case for the other color choices, even though I know Ibex uses the capitalization on their website.

      Warmth. Two characteristics of the Arlberg keep me very warm indeed. The heavy fabric makes a great insulating layer, and the loden's dense knit is extraordinarily effective at blocking the wind. It's as good for this latter purpose as any wind-blocking fabric I've ever tried, and that includes synthetics such as EPIC by Nextec expressly intended for wind rather than water protection.

      ### Edit: Nextec's website also mentions water resistance and even diagrams how the water resistance works. While I know it's not designed to be waterproof, the water resistance appears to be intended as protection (albeit light protection) from water. Can you please reword this? Maybe it would better be compared to wind blocking fleece?

      Breathability. Loden, at least Ibex's version, doesn't breathe; its dense weave prevents any air permeability. I don't wear the Arlberg (or a full cardigan-style sweater in a similar fabric) for wicking. This means that the vest goes into my pack during heavy exercise, including skinning or boot-packing on skis. With its exceptional water-resisting capabilities, discussed in the next paragraph, the vest traps heat and sweat, impeding the wicking begun with
      my inner layers. That's one reason I use it for athletic activity much more often than my loden sweater, because I can get a bit of ventilation at the vest's armholes. Also the vest takes up much less pack space than its sweater cousin, and my torso is just as well (OK, almost as well) protected. Lack of breathability prevents my wearing it in warmer temperatures, a limitation I can live with.

      ### Edit/comment: Tried doing some research on this, and I could not find much mention of whether Loden/loden is breathable or not (only two articles mentioning breathability and wicking, and they were along the line of a blog). However, being a natural woven fiber I would expect the fabric might breathe to some extent, just not the extent to be useful for heavy exertion - rather than having a total lack of breathability such as plastic. Maybe state "doesn't breathe well" instead of a flat out "doesn't breathe"?

      When I purchased my Arlberg Ibex claimed the fabric was tough enough to allow garments made from it to outlive their owners. I believe that – my Arlberg looks like new. I look forward to many more years of frequent use. While I haven't seen any jealous glances, perhaps my heirs presumptive are as well.

      ### Comment: LOL – love this!

      That's it. It's good to be back. No need to repost, upload when you're made the corrections.

      The folder is here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/Ibex%20Arlberg%20Vest/

      Pam
    • richardglyon@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2012
        Pam,

        Good to have you back and thanks for the edits, thorough as usual. A couple of comments below. I'll upload later today if I can get a better Internet connection.

        Cheers, Richard

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Pamela" <pamwyant@...> wrote:

        > EDIT: IBEX ARLBERG VEST – Richard Lyon
        >

        > A small Ibex logo, discreetly embroidered in red thread, sits in the center at the top of this back piece.
        >
        > ### Comment: This read a little awkwardly to me. You could simplify it a bit with something like: A small Ibex logo, discreetly embroidered in red thread is centered on the top of the back piece. Strictly your call on changing or not.
        ### I try to avoid passive voice (is centered) whenever possible, but I did change the text slightly.

        > Color: Red Heather; when I bought it in 2010 the vest was also available in Black and Green Loden Heather. (Green is the color of traditional Austrian loden coats.) Now available in Red Rocks Heather (looks like orange), Blue Yonder Heather, Field Heather (loden green), and Black.
        >
        > ### Comment: I'm going to throw something out here – I am a little confused by the areas where Loden/loden is capitalized and the areas where it isn't. I went online to try to find some resolution to this, and found none – it seemed to also be randomly capitalized or lower case in different areas. It sticks out quite a bit here, where it's used both ways. (Ibex seems to always capitalize it for what that's worth, although they also capitalize the color names Black, Green, etc, as you've written). Would it make sense to stick with either capitalizing it or using lower case? If you choose lower case, I think it would make sense to also go with lower case for the other color choices, even though I know Ibex uses the capitalization on their website.
        #### This is your only suggestion that didn't prompt a change. "Green Loden" is Ibex's designated color, similar to a brand name, and that's the only place I capitalized Loden. Ibex uses lower case in describing the fabric in other garments, and I treat the word as I do "merino," as descriptive or generic.

        > Breathability. Loden, at least Ibex's version, doesn't breathe; its dense weave prevents any air permeability. I don't wear the Arlberg (or a full cardigan-style sweater in a similar fabric) for wicking. This means that the vest goes into my pack during heavy exercise, including skinning or boot-packing on skis. With its exceptional water-resisting capabilities, discussed in the next paragraph, the vest traps heat and sweat, impeding the wicking begun with
        > my inner layers. That's one reason I use it for athletic activity much more often than my loden sweater, because I can get a bit of ventilation at the vest's armholes. Also the vest takes up much less pack space than its sweater cousin, and my torso is just as well (OK, almost as well) protected. Lack of breathability prevents my wearing it in warmer temperatures, a limitation I can live with.
        >
        > ### Edit/comment: Tried doing some research on this, and I could not find much mention of whether Loden/loden is breathable or not (only two articles mentioning breathability and wicking, and they were along the line of a blog). However, being a natural woven fiber I would expect the fabric might breathe to some extent, just not the extent to be useful for heavy exertion - rather than having a total lack of breathability such as plastic. Maybe state "doesn't breathe well" instead of a flat out "doesn't breathe"?

        ##### Believe me, it doesn't breathe! But I take your point on natural fibers and made a few tweaks.