OWNER REVIEW, 28oz (.83L) Advanced Flip Top Filter Bottle, Casey Hillyard

  • caseyhillyard
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2012
      Casey Hillyard Seychell 28 oz (.83 L) Flip Top Filter Bottle
      High quality plastic filter bottle.

      December 3, 2012

      My name is Casey Hillyard. I am a male at the age of 21. I am 5'9" (1.77 m) and 165 lbs (75 kg.). My email address is kc-8@... and I am from Idaho Falls, Idaho. I don't have much experience in backpacking, one trip of actual backpacking but I love the outdoors and am looking forward to more. On that trip I went to northern Idaho in the Frank Church wilderness. I also have been in the Dominican Republic for two years and though it isn't backpacking per say the conditions were very much that of camping. When I camp I usually go in a tent and sleeping bag.

      Manufacturer – Seychelle
      Year of manufacture – 2010
      store.seychelle.com
      MSRP $31.99
      Listed Approx Weight: 0.50 lb. (.23 kg)
      Dimensions (WxH): 2.75 x 5.00 in. (70 x 127 mm)
      Measured Approx Weight: 0.50 lb. (.23 kg)
      Dimensions (WxH): 3.00 x 9.500 in. (76 x 241 mm)

      Field Information
      I used this 28 oz. (.83 L) Advanced Seychelle Water Filtration flip top bottle for a period of two years while in several parts of the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic is a very tropical, hot, and humid climate. A major problem with the country is the lack of clean drinking water. While I was in the Dominican Republic i would often run out of bottled drinking water and it was required of me to use this Filtration bottle to get clean water. I also carried it with me daily in case I had any need of it.
      There were many good things about this Filtration bottle. As the manufacturer states the 28 oz. (.83 L) Advanced Seychelle Water Filtration flip top bottle "Removes up to 99.99% of chlorine, chemicals and heavy metals; and up to 99.9999% of bacteria and virus" and with all of the diseases in the water I never became sick after using this Filtration bottle, I had high expectations and they were very well met. It did add extra weight onto the pack but it was usually unnoticeable. Another thing I like about the bottle is that it comes with a nice strap you can use to hook it onto your bag. The Filtration bottle has a removable filter which I liked. When my filter went out it stopped sucking and I simply had to twist off the filter and twist another one on. Finally, the mouth piece of the bottle flips down which I also like because it kept it from getting two dirty in the dust of the day.
      Along with the good there were several negative points for me when I used the 28 oz. (.83 L) Advanced Seychelle Water Filtration flip top bottle. After about a year of use I found the problem that the plastic bottle began to tear open at the crease. This was due to the fact that to drink any reasonable amount of water I had to squeeze the bottle and suck at the same time; this was another thing I didn't like because it was very hard to drink the water. Once my bottle was torn it was almost impossible to get any drinkable water out of it because every time is sucked the air went out the hole and no water came up the straw. My solution was to cover the whole with my hand while I drank but that I saw would only be temporary until the bottle ripped all the way through. I also didn't like the taste that came from the bottle once it was filtered. At first it tasted like plastic and once that wore off it had a very airy feeling that wasn't very pleasant. The Filtration bottle also disappointed me in the fact that it didn't hold a lot of water. I was able to drink a little bit but the filter took up a lot of space inside the bottle and it couldn't reach the water at the very bottom of the bottle. Finally, I would have really liked a more flexible bottle because sometimes it was hard to get Filtration bottle into a workable position on my backpack.
      Overall I am pleased with the bottle. I would buy it again if I was going to be a situation that I needed to purify water. The ability to filter water so effectively out-ways all of the mention negatives, at least for me.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2012
        Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org Casey.

        Thank you for your Owner Review and your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now your review is lacking in a few areas and cannot be accepted for editing at this time. It is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing process. I would highly recommend you get involved with our Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Mentor(at)backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST in the subject line.

        You can also take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below). In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

        Regardless of how you choose to proceed, we certainly hope you will give it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

        Editors Team Director