BGT EXPRESS PASS Program Reminder

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
      Fellow BGTers!

      Don't forget - the brand-new BGT EXPRESS PASS
      program!

      Briefly put, the Express Pass will allow any BGTer to cut to the head of the
      line for any called test item for which they qualify geographically and by
      gender.

      Express Passes are awarded via the Brownie Point (BP) system already in
      place for ORs submitted, approved and uploaded based on the monthly OR calls
      and (THIS IS HUGE AND NEW) by recruiting new BGT members!

      Twenty (20) BPs are needed to claim the Express Pass. One (1) BP is earned
      with each qualifying OR and TEN (10) BPs are awarded for each person you
      recruit who completes their required two (2) ORS, applies and is selected
      for a test and completes their first IR. Any combination of ORs or recruits
      totaling twenty (20) BPs will earn the Express Pass.

      You will be able to track your BPs via a file to be uploaded and updated
      monthly on the Yahoo Groups BackpackGearTesters site.

      The Express Pass program will start as of January 1, 2013. HOWEVER, any BP
      OR and/or any eligible recruit in November and December will be counted.

      Below is a preliminary copy of the EXPRESS PASS program's fine print. I
      welcome questions if clarification is needed. Shortly, a finalized document
      will be uploaded to the files section of both BGT Yahoo Groups for
      reference.

      So, get busy! Winter is a great time to chat with friends and help them get
      involved with BGT and on those nasty nights you are not out testing gear -
      write about gear!

      Kathy

      EXPRESS PASS

      The Express Pass is awarded to any BackpackGearTest.org (BGT) member in good
      standing when he or she attain 20 Brownie Points (BP).

      The Express Pass will permit the BGTer to "jump to the head of the line"
      when applying for any one desired test for which he/she would be
      geographically, seasonally and gender-qualified.

      Brownie Points are earned by writing Owner Reviews (OR) in response to the
      Monthly OR Calls categories posted each month, by recruiting new BGT members
      or a combination of ORs and recruitments.

      One (1) BP will be awarded for each eligible OR when it is approved and
      uploaded. Ten (10) BPs will be awarded for each new recruit who completes
      their required two (2) ORs, applies and is selected for a test, and then
      completes their first. These ten (10) BPs will be awarded as soon as the
      recruit uploads his/her first test's final (LTR) report.

      Twenty (20) BP points will be subtracted from the BGTer's total when an
      Express Pass is redeemed on a test call.

      BPs will be tabulated monthly and the running totals will be reported in the
      BackpackGearTest Yahoo Groups Files section.

      FINE PRINT

      1.) An Express Pass can only be used once.

      2.) The Express Pass allows the owner to be automatically selected for a
      test provided he/she would have qualified for the test. See paragraph 7
      below.

      3.) Only one Express Pass can be used per test (first qualified application
      received).

      4.) Only one Express Pass can be used by a tester during any 4-month period.
      For example: You may continue to earn BPs during this period. For example:
      You earn 20 BPs on February 1 and claim a spot on a test March 1. A prior
      recruit completes her first IR on February 15, and another of your recruits
      completes his first IR March 15. On March 15 you will have twenty BPs, but
      cannot claim another Express Pass until July 1, four months from March 1.

      5.) You AND your recruit must identify yourselves PRIOR to the posting of
      the recruit's first OR. This notice should be a posting in the Yahoo Group -
      BackpackGearTesters - with a copy sent to jdeben@.... The
      subject should be in this format: BP RECRUIT - BGTer name and Recruit's
      name. 6.) Each recruit may have only one sponsor, the tester identified
      when the notice in the preceding paragraph is sent. A tester may sponsor
      more than one recruit at the same time.

      7.) Occasionally a manufacturer will specify special conditions for a test
      call, such as testers in a particular country or those who will use the
      product under particular conditions. Any manufacturer-dictated limitations

      are part of the qualifications referred to in paragraph 2.
      8.) An Express Pass may not be transferred to another BGT tester or anyone
      else. It must be used by the tester who earns it.

      9.) The Senior Director will be the final arbiter of any disputes that may
      arise and the Senior Director's decision is final.
    • Paul Rickard
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
        Men's Atom LT Jacket by Arc'teryx

        OR
        March 12, 2012

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Paul Rickard
        EMAIL: lizardman400@...
        AGE: 19

        LOCATION: Devon, England, United Kingdom
        GENDER: M
        HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
        WEIGHT: 260 lb (118.00 kg)

        Started
        walking outdoors properly around 4 years ago, have since completely my
        full Gold DofE, NNAS Awards and now a DofE Supervisor and assessor. Work
        in the outdoors doing Canoeing, Kayaking, Rock climbing (indoor and
        outdoor), Hill and Mountain Walking and some bushcraft. Run my own
        outdoor club which provides outdoor education services to
        schools/organisations/Uniformed Youth Groups.

        Love putting gear through tough conditions!

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        Manufacturer: Arc'teryx
        Year of Manufacture: 2012
        Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.arcteryx.com/?EN">>

        MSRP: UK £160
        Listed Weight: 326g (11.5oz)
        Measured Weight: 327g (11.5oz)
        Other
        details: "Insulated, mid-layer jacket with wind and moisture resistant
        outer face fabric; Ideal as a layering piece for cold weather
        activities."

        FIELD USE

        Having owned the jacket for 2 months now I have
        had a chance to get out in some of the colder weather we've had
        recently. This jacket is superb, been up on Dartmoor while wearing it
        and it's handled harsh winds well and kept heat in while not getting
        clammy which can easily happen with an insulated jacket.

        Although a very basic design it's still top of the list for needed
        kit, two outside pockets are large with soft lining which keeps hands
        both comfortable and warm. Inside pocket keeps map protected from
        elements and always useful.

        As their website says this jacket is designed as a midlayer and will
        not keep you protected from heavy rain/snow. In light rain the water
        will bead and run off the jacket though so there is some protection
        there but you will need a hard shell to provide protection from heavy
        rains.

        For the weight of this jacket the level of warmth is amazing, easily
        outdoes some of the real bulky insulation jackets out there from other
        brands, this packs down small and weighs so little that it would be
        silly not to take it on any trip.

        The durability so far has been great, no signs of wear yet and can't
        seen there being any soon. Zips always work spot on, no tugging or
        jamming.

        SUMMARY

        This is one of those jackets
        that you can't resist wearing as much as possible. I have worn this
        jacket for popping in to town, climbing and for chucking on after
        canoeing. It performs brilliantly at every oppurtunity and I am yet to
        find any faults.

        THINGS I LIKE

        Warmth
        Weight
        Durability
        Style

        THINGS I DON'T LIKE

        No hood on my jacket but is availible with one

        SIGNATURE

        Paul Rickard

      • Mark Bayern
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
          Paul,

          Somebody or something (on my side of the pond?) turned the date of the OR
          into March 12, 2012 !

          Mark

        • Paul Rickard
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
            Hey,

            Went with UK date format, did send this today!

            Thanks,

            Paul

            To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
            From: plcmark@...
            Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:31:21 -0600
            Subject: Re: [BackpackGearTest] Owner Review - Arc'teryx Atom LT Jacket

> [...]

            > brands, this packs down small and weighs so little that it would be

            > silly not to take it on any trip.

            > The durability so far has been great, no signs of wear yet and can't

            > seen there being any soon. Zips always work spot on, no tugging or

            > jamming.

            > SUMMARY

            > This is one of those jackets

            > that you can't resist wearing as much as possible. I have worn this

            > jacket for popping in to town, climbing and for chucking on after

            > canoeing. It performs brilliantly at every oppurtunity and I am yet to

            > find any faults.

            > THINGS I LIKE

            > Warmth

            > Weight

            > Durability

            > Style

            > THINGS I DON'T LIKE

            > No hood on my jacket but is availible with one

          • Paul Rickard

              From: plcmark@...
              Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:31:21 -0600

> [...]

              > brands, this packs down small and weighs so little that it would be

              > silly not to take it on any trip.

              > The durability so far has been great, no signs of wear yet and can't

              > seen there being any soon. Zips always work spot on, no tugging or

              > jamming.

              > SUMMARY

              > This is one of those jackets

              > that you can't resist wearing as much as possible. I have worn this

              > jacket for popping in to town, climbing and for chucking on after

              > canoeing. It performs brilliantly at every oppurtunity and I am yet to

              > find any faults.

              > THINGS I LIKE

              > Warmth

              > Weight

              > Durability

              > Style

              > THINGS I DON'T LIKE

              > No hood on my jacket but is availible with one

            • Paul Rickard

                From: plcmark@...
                Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:31:21 -0600

> [...]

                > brands, this packs down small and weighs so little that it would be

                > silly not to take it on any trip.

                > The durability so far has been great, no signs of wear yet and can't

                > seen there being any soon. Zips always work spot on, no tugging or

                > jamming.

                > SUMMARY

                > This is one of those jackets

                > that you can't resist wearing as much as possible. I have worn this

                > jacket for popping in to town, climbing and for chucking on after

                > canoeing. It performs brilliantly at every oppurtunity and I am yet to

                > find any faults.

                > THINGS I LIKE

                > Warmth

                > Weight

                > Durability

                > Style

                > THINGS I DON'T LIKE

                > No hood on my jacket but is availible with one

              • Paul Rickard

                  From: plcmark@...
                  Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:31:21 -0600

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                    Welcome to BGT Paul.

                    Before I can accept your Owner Review you will need to clarify the number of days and/or nights you have used this product in the field. Please add an estimate of how many times you have used it to your report and then repost the REVISED version to the yahoo group.

                    I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our edit queue and you will be on your way to getting an official edit.

                    Thank you,
                    Jamie DeBenedetto
                    Editors Team Director
                  • Paul Rickard
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
                      Hey there, please find my revised version below, having some trouble uploading the HTML version to the website, this jacket hasn't been tested before and can't create a new folder to post it in - any help would be great.

                      Men's Atom LT Jacket by Arc'teryx

                      OR
                      December 9th, 2012

[...]

                      I've probably used this jacket in testing conditions for around 10 days in total. Winter is now here and I'm sure I'll be using this jacket a lot more over the next few months.

                      SUMMARY

                      This is one of those jackets that you can't resist wearing as much as possible. I have worn this jacket for popping in to town, climbing and for chucking on after canoeing. It performs brilliantly at every opportunity and I am yet to find any faults.

                      THINGS I LIKE

                      Warmth
                      Weight
                      Durability
                      Style

                      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

                      No hood on my jacket but is available with one

                      SIGNATURE

                      Paul Rickard

                      To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
                        The folder that you post the edit versions is here:

                        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

                        Permanent folders are made for you once the review is edited and OK'd.

                        Ray

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
                          By the way,

                          "I've probably used this jacket in testing conditions for around 10 days in total."

                          You need to clarify your use Paul. Where has it been used, what for, what were the temps and conditions?

                          Ray
                        • Paul Rickard
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
                            Hello, http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Arcteryx%20Atom%20LT%20Jacket/