Attn: Ray Tant Re: OWNER REVIEW (revised)- Esbit Alcohol Stove and Cookset

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2012
      Hi Ray,

      Thank you for providing more details about your field use with this stove, unfortunately 3 nights/5 days isn't quite enough field use to meet our standards for Owner Reviews. I know writing an OR takes time and thought and I don't want you to be discouraged. Please shelve this review, give yourself at least another seasons use with it and then revise the report and repost it. By that time you will hopefully have enough use.

      For first reviews we suggest writing about simple gear with which you've had lots of use. This helps you as the writer and helps your editor get you through the OR process more easily.

      It is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing process. If you'd like more help we have a Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first two reviews. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Mentor(at)backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST in the subject line.

      I would also suggest taking a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below). In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

      Regardless of which option you take, we certainly hope you will give it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

      Editors Team Director
    • Ray Tant
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2012
        Thank you for your response. I am disappointed to hear my length of use was too short. I had actually used it again this weekend instead of one of 6 stoves i own to give it more use. However, you failed to mention the quality of the review and its technical content. This would have been very enlightening. Furthermore, considering almost all manufacturers replace or modify their gear on annual basis, how many seasons would you suggest? I would think reviewing gear still on the shelf would be very important.

        In addition, what would be a simple review that you can suggest? I have a Velcro strap that has been in service for several years, some aluminum tent stakes, 3 twenty year old thermarest sleeping pads, a metal cup, set of 20 year old metal cutlery, 15 year old rei plastic fork, 20 year old mesh bag, 27 year old Patagonia snap t synchylla, 20 year old msr whisperlite stove (although that one has been beaten to death) and many more seasoned pieces of gear. Thank you again for your input, I look forward to your response.:)

        Ray Tant
        865-271-7152

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 25, 2012
          Hi Ray T,

          With your additional recent use you are getting very close to having enough use. We generally suggest at least 1 or 2 seasons use so you have a variety of weather conditions included in your field use section. We expect a minimum of 5 nights/10 days use for all items. Although, for ORs more is quite common because it's a piece of gear you've likely owned for a while.

          You are 100% correct, it is most important for BGT to have relevant reviews so items no longer sold, or as you put it, "still on the shelf" aren't eligible for ORs. That is definitely something to consider when choosing the gear you will write about.

          As for failing to comment on the quality and content of your review, that is not my function in the Edit Team. That more intensive job falls to the folks who have volunteered to be OR Editors. I'm simply the first set of eyes to scan the newly posted ORs. My job is to encourage new writers who have fallen a bit short of our requirements to get things shored up and repost or ask for a mentor. Furthermore, I save the editors from spending unnecessary time on an Owner Review that, even if well written, couldn't be accepted because of other misgivings.

          We all started out having to go thru the first 2 OR process, like you, so we all know it can be a little daunting at first. I truly hope you stick with it until you reach the goal of becoming a tester. The process is not meant to be a pain in the rump but it is meant to force some level of commitment and weed out those not willing to follow through.

          I look forward to seeing you succeed.
          Regards,
          Jamie DeBenedetto
          Editors Team Director

        • richardglyon@att.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2012
            Ray,

            I'm another editor here and let me echo two things Jamie and Ray Estrella have said. As for choice of gear to be the subject of an Owner Review, you apparently get out often, and I'm certain that you have some gear that has seen a season's field use. There's often a misconception that an OR needs to be a major piece of gear such as a tent or sleeping bag. Not so - BGT values Reviews of basic items equally, often encouraging them with monthly calls. Perhaps a pair of socks you particularly like? A favorite fleece sweater? Water bottle? Any counts just as much as a state-of-the-art tent toward your qualifying to test gear.

            Second, do consider a Mentor. Under our mentor program an experienced tester will work with you to get you familiar with the Owner Review process and BGT's rules. There's no stigma attached; many of our veteran testers are former mentees. You can request a mentor by sending an email to mentor@...

            We're all pleased you've come to BGT. Let us know if we can help you keep this process moving forward.

            Cheers, Richard